Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13 2013, 09:50 PM   #466
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
-My favorite bit of character here is the fact that Boromir grabs the hobbits Merry and Pippen and bravely jumps the gap. He had been building chemistry with these two along the journey to this point, training them at the campfire, but this moment really is a fantastic little hint of the sacrifice he will make to save them at the end of the film... a sacrifice which will pay off all the way in the third film when Pippen offers to serve Denethor in payment of Boromir's sacrifice.
This is a really good observation that I don't think I've ever considered before. They definitely had a few bits throughout the movie where Boromir seemed like he'd kind of taken on an older brother type of role for Merry and Pippin. There was also the scene on Caradhras where Boromir was pretty much carrying the two of them through the snow.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:12 PM   #467
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

See, I'm the opposite, I feel that the Moria stair sequence, while it had some great parts, really lost me with the tilting stairs in a way that The Hobbit didn't. I just couldn't bend my suspension of disbelief enough that I could feel that Aragorn and Frodo could tip the stair.
They didn't tip the stair on their own... the stair would probably have tipped as it did anyway, but their presence might have tipped it in a slightly different direction if they had applied their own weight in a different direction... so Aragorn wanted he and Frodo to reinforce the stairs' natural tilt by leaning forward.

Anyone can be cynical and say that this was still impossible, just as they could say that the bridge/ladder/pole stuff in the Hobbit was impossible. I actually thought that bit was entertaining, to be sure. But I wasn't involved in it. It didn't feel as big or as important as the tilting stair sequence. And it didn't serve to accentuate or develop the characters anything like I've demonstrated about the Moria sequence.

The other point I wanted to make in my post about the points I liked about the Moria sequence was how, when Frodo and Aragorn made it across, Howard Shore kicks in with his most bold use of the Fellowship theme... it truly symbolizes how together they were at that moment, after Aragorn and Frodo (normally the most isolated guys in the group) had made it to their friends.

Last edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster; January 13 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:30 AM   #468
propita
Rear Admiral

I had a Philosophy of Tolkien class, which brought up something that was really noticeable in the films HUJ and LOTR, the orcs! Half the time, they were written as near-mindless drones, but sometimes they were shown to be individuals with their own desires. I'd have to reread the books, but this struck me a lot while watching HUJ.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:49 AM   #469
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

That's definitely present in the books, especially in the conflicts among the orcs who kidnap Merry and Pippin and the ones in the Tower of Cirith Ungol...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 02:37 AM   #470
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

All right, here it is.

The BIG question, no joke.

I haven't read the book in forever, so that's why I can't answer it, but this reviewer has the same feat I do, that we won't actually see Smaug in all his splendor until the third film. What do you guys think? In spite of the title of the second film, I'm afraid it's going to just tease us.
I think there are two thoughts here. My view is having Smaug die in the second movie exacerbates the "false ending" problem. My view is to have the Necromancer be the villain of the second and Smaug in the third. But, since it's called the Desolation of Smaug, I suspect the second one will be Smaug-heavy.
Old January 14 2013, 05:43 AM   #471
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Skywalker wrote: View Post
-My favorite bit of character here is the fact that Boromir grabs the hobbits Merry and Pippen and bravely jumps the gap. He had been building chemistry with these two along the journey to this point, training them at the campfire, but this moment really is a fantastic little hint of the sacrifice he will make to save them at the end of the film... a sacrifice which will pay off all the way in the third film when Pippen offers to serve Denethor in payment of Boromir's sacrifice.
This is a really good observation that I don't think I've ever considered before. They definitely had a few bits throughout the movie where Boromir seemed like he'd kind of taken on an older brother type of role for Merry and Pippin. There was also the scene on Caradhras where Boromir was pretty much carrying the two of them through the snow.
Boromir was the best character in the LotR films. Sean Bean did a masterful job playing him and even though he had a very dark side to him, his love for Merry and Pippin was beautiful. The most complex character in those films, no doubt.
Old January 14 2013, 10:53 AM   #472
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Which is why the extended version of The Two Towers is so much better than the shorter one! That flashback scene Faramir has about the last time he and Boromir were together, at Osgiliath, gives a lot of insight into Boromir as a person...and explains why he was so tempted - driven - to take the Ring, and yet remained (and died as one) a good guy.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 12:18 PM   #473
Mark de Vries
Commodore

View Mark de Vries's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Mark de Vries wrote: View Post
I've got another option: I didn't notice it. Then again, I don't see 3D either (with 3D glasses, I see the movie like regular 2D). It's my eyes being wonky, so maybe that's why I don't notice the HFR either.
I've gotta ask: if you can't see 3D why would you pay extra to see a 3D film? Did you feel like making a donation to the struggling film industry?

Not really no. But my girlfriend can see it, and she really liked it. Besides, the 3D showing was the only one that fit well in our evening plans.
Mark de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:17 PM   #474
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
All right, here it is.

The BIG question, no joke.

I haven't read the book in forever, so that's why I can't answer it, but this reviewer has the same feat I do, that we won't actually see Smaug in all his splendor until the third film. What do you guys think? In spite of the title of the second film, I'm afraid it's going to just tease us.
I think there are two thoughts here. My view is having Smaug die in the second movie exacerbates the "false ending" problem. My view is to have the Necromancer be the villain of the second and Smaug in the third. But, since it's called the Desolation of Smaug, I suspect the second one will be Smaug-heavy.
I'm thinking DOS goes with the assault on the Necromancer, then ends with Smaug flying off to attack Laketown... then the last one can open with Bard shooting him down and then the wrapping of the quest, fuss over the Arkenstone, and the Battle of Five Armies.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:39 PM   #475
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Or the entire thing is wrapped by the end of the second film, and the third film is just Bilbo saying goodbye to the dwarves for three hours. In 3D.
Old January 14 2013, 04:22 PM   #476
Mike Farley
Commodore

I'll wait for the extended edition where Frodo sits down and reads Bilbo's book. Out loud. For 9 hours. In 3D HFR and Sensurround.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:34 PM   #477
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Aeronef wrote: View Post

Some thoughts:

- The Holm Bilbo cameo was fantastic, but it would have been cooler to hear him talking about/to Frodo yet not see him (Frodo). That way, if one were to watch all six movies in narrative order, Frodo's appearance would be a treat only teased here. (... And would Bilbo really start writing his story on the very day of his departure?)

- The song around Bilbo's fire was wonderful, and too short. Hope it lasts twice as long in the extended cut.

- The orc-chase to Rivendell should have been cut, especially since the wargs as shown would have overtaken them several times over.

- Was definitely fun to see a more cheerful Elrond.

- When Galadriel vanished, did anyone else expect Gandalf to growl, "so that's what that feels like?"

- The rock monsters would have been a wonderfully eerie visual in the distance for the troop to gape at, but building a full-bore action scene around them was hardly necessary. Hey, now that I think of it, there were rock giants in the far background during Crash Bandicoot: Warped...

- That Troll King... ew. First we get the teethed you-know-whats in Kong, now this... oy.

- Overall, the action was indeed a over-the-top at times, but it fit with the tone more often than not, and nothing was a facepalm-worthy as the bronto stampede or Billy Elliot shooting several huge insects off of Brody yet never even grazing him.

- Man, would Kong have been awesome in 3D.

- The dwarf prosthetics were pretty amazing. I used to think a live-action Warcraft movie wouldn't work, as it isn't possible to make humans look so exaggerated and wild. I was wrong.

... And, once again, another eagerly-awaited geek movie utterly flunks the Bechdel Test. Give us some more fine and badass lady elves next time!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 07:08 PM   #478
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
... And, once again, another eagerly-awaited geek movie utterly flunks the Bechdel Test. Give us some more fine and badass lady elves next time!
The movie does slightly better than the book. IIRC, the Bechdel Test is made of three parts: there are at least two female characters, they talk to each other about something else than a man. The book has no female character at all, so the movie is a marginal improvement.
Old January 14 2013, 07:48 PM   #479
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I'll wait for the extended edition where Frodo sits down and reads Bilbo's book. Out loud. For 9 hours. In 3D HFR and Sensurround.

I'd go at least 5 times to the cinema to watch that.

I WAS A TOLKIEN FAN BEFORE IT WAS MAINSTREAM! /Hipster

Actually, no, but I did read LotR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion before the first film came out, so the expectations were pretty high (and for AUJ, too).... and boy, do I care that several of PJ's enhancements are pure fanwank / money grubbing? Nope. Not at all.

Though whether I'll approve of Evangeline Lilly and the Dwarves fawning over her.... we'll see.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:29 AM   #480
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote:
That Troll King... ew.
Goblin, not troll. AKA the Great Goblin.