Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30 2012, 08:41 PM   #376
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Somehow I had gotten the notion that the Council was confused over whether the Necromancer was Sauron, or the Chief Nazgul/Witch-king of Angmar. Judging from the quotes from the chronology apparently not. But it still seems logical enough to confuse the issue for them so they don't look completely stupid.
Old December 30 2012, 11:18 PM   #377
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Well, way back in TA 1100 it says:
The Wise ( the Istari and the chief Eldar ) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgul.

This is later known to be Sauron, who "retreats and hides in the East" in 2063, only to return in 2460.

( Also, several Nazgul are sent to reoccupy Dol Guldur when Sauron "declares himself openly" in Mordor in 2951. )
Old December 31 2012, 01:03 AM   #378
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Thanks for the quote.
Old December 31 2012, 01:36 AM   #379
Saxman1
Commodore

Loved the film, exceeded my expectations! My 12 year old son loved it to, his 62 year old uncle hated it, "Not enough action, I prefer Willis, Stallone, Cruise or Arnold." Yeah, well, that's not exactly what the Tolkienverse is all about, is it, LOL!
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 03:00 AM   #380
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Saw it in in 3D last night. I enjoyed it and gave it a B+. It never quite reached the heights of the previous trilogy, and it was repetitive. You could tell that several elements were shoehorned in and really unnecessary in my opinion. There's no reason this movie couldn't have been about 2 hours and more effective.

RAMA
Old December 31 2012, 08:24 AM   #381
Grumpy Grinch
Rear Admiral

I saw it Sunday night in 3D Ultra/AVX, totally impressed it was visually stunning.
Cant wait for the next two.
the price of the Pop Corn and Pop sucked $10 plus with the discount for being a scene member.

the man of Steel trailer looked good.
not to sure about the Tom Cruise Oblivion trailer.
Old December 31 2012, 09:41 PM   #382
Balrog
Commodore

Loved it!

Truly brought me back to LOTR trilogy, which I was hoping it would. To me, it did not drag at all. And it was much more light-hearted in spots than LOTR, which was expected of course.

It made me want to break out some dice.

A+
Old December 31 2012, 10:54 PM   #383
Dart
Commodore

A+ for me.

I was blown away by the HFR 3D. Brilliant.

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 03:12 PM   #384
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
I saw it Sunday night in 3D Ultra/AVX, totally impressed it was visually stunning.
Cant wait for the next two.
the price of the Pop Corn and Pop sucked $10 plus with the discount for being a scene member.

the man of Steel trailer looked good.
not to sure about the Tom Cruise Oblivion trailer.

Ah i forgot! The best part of the Hobbit was the Star Trek ID trailer playing before it!!

I still can't get over these 3D movie crybabies, it seems as if the process looks better every time I see a 3D movie. Just shut up already, its here to stay. One technology that I wasnt as thrilled with was DBOX...which basically felt like someone kicking the seat everytime there was an action sequence.

HFR is cool also, I saw a reviewer give the movie low marks, mainly for the use of HFR, such people should be brought out onto the main street of town and flogged for stupidity.
Old January 1 2013, 04:55 PM   #385
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Just seen it - it needed a good edit, way way too long and I didn't like HFR it kept pulling me out of the film and I am not sure if aspects of the CGI were poor or it was a combination of the HFR and the CGI but I felt like I was watching cut scenes from a video game.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:09 PM   #386
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

RAMA wrote: View Post
I still can't get over these 3D movie crybabies, it seems as if the process looks better every time I see a 3D movie. Just shut up already, its here to stay.
Respectfully, I'll whine if I want to. It's largely a cheap gimmick and, for many of us, an eyestrain. I've had to take off my glasses and rub my aching and watering eyes halfway through each of the last 2 3D movies I've been to. Not exactly an enhancement of the viewing experience, and hard to suspend your disbelief when you can't see straight.

That's not a whine, it's a legitimate complaint.

Luckily home viewing will keep 2D options available for the foreseeable future.

3D sucks, and in all honesty I don't plan to ever see one again. If the HFR was in 2D I'd never have seen this one that way.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:58 PM   #387
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
One technology that I wasnt as thrilled with was DBOX...which basically felt like someone kicking the seat everytime there was an action sequence.
You don't need technology for that, just sit in front of someone. Here's to a generation utterly lacking in empathy and consideration for others!
Old January 1 2013, 08:05 PM   #388
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Santa Klaus wrote: View Post
Respectfully, I'll whine if I want to. It's largely a cheap gimmick and, for many of us, an eyestrain. I've had to take off my glasses and rub my aching and watering eyes halfway through each of the last 2 3D movies I've been to. Not exactly an enhancement of the viewing experience, and hard to suspend your disbelief when you can't see straight.
I can understand why that would be annoying, but I don't see how the technology is to blame if you have sensitive eyes. Most people never experience the kind of eyestrain you're talking about.
Old January 1 2013, 10:56 PM   #389
Mr Light
Admiral

I just saw it for a second time, this time in 24 frame 2D, and man, what a difference. HFR is so much better! I really don't understand people's complaints about it.

BTW for the opening footage of Bilbo moving about Bag End at disturbing super speed, it actually looked a little sped up even in the 2d version!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 11:23 PM   #390
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Santa Klaus wrote: View Post
I can understand why that would be annoying, but I don't see how the technology is to blame if you have sensitive eyes. Most people never experience the kind of eyestrain you're talking about.
The problem for me is what it does to the colours in a film, it depends on the palette used but if you watch a film like the avengers it really mutes the colours (which by whipping off the glasses in the cinema is down to the plastic lens not the film itself).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote