Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21 2012, 04:39 AM   #271
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
2. The ending could have been much tighter. There was no need for worthless face-off between Thorin and Azog, other than to show Bilbo's worth in Thorin's eyes but I feel like there was no need for that yet. After the long action sequence underneath the Misty Mountains, the added drawn out action in the trees quickly becomes tiresome. It would have been far better for them to be chased up the trees, the fire gets started, everything looks dire, and then suddenly the eagles save the day. End the film with the same final closing scene (Bilbo can prove his worth in smaller way, I guess while up in the trees like knocking down a warg that would have otherwise gotten Thorin or another dwarf).
I couldn't disagree more. In my opinion, the scene you're talking about is the one that shows how much Bilbo has learned during the first part of his adventure. It ties up the themes of this movie and gives the viewer a sense of closure which was badly needed in order to turn this into a proper movie rather than the first segment of a three-part serial.

If I have to wait a full year for the second installment, I need to feel like I've had a satisfyingly complete experience, even though the whole story has not been told. The "oh yeah irrelevant stuff happens oh my god it's been three hours already let's end this" approach simply wouldn't have worked.
Old December 21 2012, 04:50 AM   #272
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The look and demeanor of Bilbo in this reminded me of James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) in "House."

Last edited by Trekker4747; December 21 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:51 AM   #273
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I found Bilbo to be a much more interesting character than either Frodo or Sam in the LotR films.
Old December 21 2012, 04:57 AM   #274
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I found Bilbo to be a much more interesting character than either Frodo or Sam in the LotR films.
Ditto. A homebody safe and comfortable in his house, concerned about its looks and doilies, afraid to go out into the world and into adventure. Suddenly thrust to change his entire way of life and thinking. Good story.
Old December 21 2012, 04:58 AM   #275
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I think it's fair to say that Bilbo is one of the best, most distinctive characters created by Tolkien.
Old December 21 2012, 05:45 AM   #276
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
2. The ending could have been much tighter. There was no need for worthless face-off between Thorin and Azog, other than to show Bilbo's worth in Thorin's eyes but I feel like there was no need for that yet. After the long action sequence underneath the Misty Mountains, the added drawn out action in the trees quickly becomes tiresome. It would have been far better for them to be chased up the trees, the fire gets started, everything looks dire, and then suddenly the eagles save the day. End the film with the same final closing scene (Bilbo can prove his worth in smaller way, I guess while up in the trees like knocking down a warg that would have otherwise gotten Thorin or another dwarf).
I couldn't disagree more. In my opinion, the scene you're talking about is the one that shows how much Bilbo has learned during the first part of his adventure. It ties up the themes of this movie and gives the viewer a sense of closure which was badly needed in order to turn this into a proper movie rather than the first segment of a three-part serial.

If I have to wait a full year for the second installment, I need to feel like I've had a satisfyingly complete experience, even though the whole story has not been told. The "oh yeah irrelevant stuff happens oh my god it's been three hours already let's end this" approach simply wouldn't have worked.
I understand and agree with the thematic angle but I feel like it was very poorly executed. Like I said, the scene came on the heels of a long action sequence and barely had any time to recover. I know it's "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire" but I strongly feel that the sequence needed to be much shorter. Again, as I said, Bilbo could have still fulfilled the thematic need in a smaller way instead of the drawn out scenario that we got.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The look and demeanor of Bilbo in this reminded me of James Wilson (Rover Sean Leonard) in "House."
Funny, because the look and demeanor of Bilbo in this reminded me of John Watson.

I think it's fair to say that Bilbo is one of the best, most distinctive characters created by Tolkien.
I have to completely agree on these two points, and while Tolkien deserves a lot of credit on this, Martin Freeman makes Bilbo all the greater.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:50 AM   #277
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I also found Bilbo's speech about helping the dwarfs find a home to be particularly moving because he doesn't have to do it. Frodo and Sam pretty much had to do their journey because they were saving the world. Bilbo doesn't but heads into danger anyway. Much more inspiring, I think.
Old December 21 2012, 06:00 AM   #278
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I also found Bilbo's speech about helping the dwarfs find a home to be particularly moving because he doesn't have to do it. Frodo and Sam pretty much had to do their journey because they were saving the world. Bilbo doesn't but heads into danger anyway. Much more inspiring, I think.
Very good point. I quite liked that moment, too. Sandwiched between big action set-pieces, the film (and Bilbo) definitely needed to find (and explicitly express) a heart. As important as Bilbo's "heroic act" to save Thorin is, in terms of his character's growth, I think this scene was more significant.
Old December 21 2012, 06:13 AM   #279
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I agree. It thematically summed up the journey very well. Technically speaking, Bilbo's heroics are during the Spiders, but it logically makes sense to be at the end of the first movie.
Old December 21 2012, 06:24 AM   #280
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I understand and agree with the thematic angle but I feel like it was very poorly executed. Like I said, the scene came on the heels of a long action sequence and barely had any time to recover. I know it's "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire" but I strongly feel that the sequence needed to be much shorter. Again, as I said, Bilbo could have still fulfilled the thematic need in a smaller way instead of the drawn out scenario that we got.
To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think that the little coda on the cliff at the end of the movie is longer than three minutes. What could have been cut to make it shorter?

I have to completely agree on these two points, and while Tolkien deserves a lot of credit on this, Martin Freeman makes Bilbo all the greater.
And Peter Jackson as well. Casting Martin Freeman was a stroke of genius. Because although he has a lot of charisma and screen presence, perfect comic timing and is a very skilled physical actor, he doesn't have a lot or range so he mostly shines when he's a perfect match for the role.
Old December 21 2012, 06:39 AM   #281
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yeah, I agree. It thematically summed up the journey very well. Technically speaking, Bilbo's heroics are during the Spiders, but it logically makes sense to be at the end of the first movie.
Yeah ... that was one of those moments where having read the book made the cinematic moment feel awkward. It certainly fits within the context of the film, but narratively (in terms of the book), the act feels rushed. And I wonder just how much of that is my own preconception (probably quite a bit).
Old December 21 2012, 07:42 AM   #282
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Bilbo's motivation being helping the dwarves find their home is indeed a nice counterpoint to Frodo's "save the world" task [Sam's being "save Frodo" lol]... it's a very "hobbity" reason, one that even the less Tookish among them might understand. I see echoes of WWI and WWII in there as well... not everyone was there to stop global evil, but many just to help out folks who'd lost their homes and needed someone to pick them up.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 11:50 AM   #283
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I'd say they definitely not just could have, but should have cut the Old Bilbo/Frodo sequence.
Hell no! It might not have been necessary, but come on, you can't put a price on nostalgia.
Old December 21 2012, 01:44 PM   #284
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm re-reading the Hobbit and there's actually a line about hobbits being a lot tougher to injury than they appear, and dwarves as well. I forget the exact line but it was in the Goblin Town / Riddles Dark sequence.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:51 PM   #285
lurok
Commodore

And Peter Jackson as well. Casting Martin Freeman was a stroke of genius. Because although he has a lot of charisma and screen presence, perfect comic timing and is a very skilled physical actor, he doesn't have a lot or range so he mostly shines when he's a perfect match for the role.
Still not seen yet and in no rush, but when heard Jackson had cast Freeman, also thought that was genius. Plus he's a huge Motown fan, so can do no wrong
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote