RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 452
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 17 2012, 09:39 PM   #196
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Also, aren't Dobby in Potter and Gollum in Hobbit and LOTR virtually identical characters??
Um... no. Apart from being CGI characters and speaking oddly, they aren't alike at all.
"virtually identical," to strong of a statement. Many similarities IMO I believe so.

DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 09:40 PM   #197
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Also, aren't Dobby in Potter and Gollum in Hobbit and LOTR virtually identical characters??
Um... no. Apart from being CGI characters and speaking oddly, they aren't alike at all.
"virtually identical," to strong of a statement. Many similarities IMO I believe so.

Physically, they have some similarities. As characters, they couldn't be more different.
Old December 17 2012, 10:55 PM   #198
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

A comic on Witsream just tweeted this:

"Can't decide whether to see ˝The Hobbit˝ in 48fps or just wait for the Blu-Ray playing on an uncalibrated HDTV on display at Best Buy.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:26 AM   #199
Mr Light
Admiral

I loved Radagast, and I hope he figures heavily into the next two! I want to see him leading an army of cute animals against the Necromancer

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 02:40 AM   #200
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Saw the IMAX 3D 24 fps version Saturday night. I really enjoyed it. The dwarves theme has been stuck in my head for two days! The visuals were amazing, the acting was great, and It didn't feel like 2 hours 45 minutes, which is a good thing.

It's not LOTR quality, but it plays well as a fun kid's flick.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 03:25 AM   #201
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Didn't get to see this on the weekend, between having to take advantage of opportunities to see other movies on their last days in theatres and traveling home. I gave it a B+.

It's entertaining, but flawed. The story feels inflated to make out a trilogy, and despite the running time, the cast is mostly undefined (between this and the two Snow White movies, 2012 was quite a year for superfluous dwarves).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 03:26 AM   #202
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Physically, they have some similarities. As characters, they couldn't be more different.

Agreed. It's like saying a trash can and R2D2 are identical characters. Seriously, once you get beyond the basic shape, how are Dobby and Gollum the least bit similar?
Old December 18 2012, 04:40 AM   #203
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I usually hate anything cartoony but oddly enough the cartoon violence didn't irk me at all. I thought it matched the tone of the film.

Then again, I found Radagast to be interesting and I'm in the minority on that one...
I quite enjoyed Radagast, too. I would've liked to see more of him, although the sledding was completely ridiculous.
It was! Him sledding to distract the orcs was hilarious and, of course, didn't end up working.
Old December 18 2012, 05:55 AM   #204
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ Yes, and I loved every second of it!

"These are [can't remember] Rabbits! I'd like to see them try."

Radagast in general was a very fun character, I hope we see more of him in the next two.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Agreed. It's like saying a trash can and R2D2 are identical characters. Seriously, once you get beyond the basic shape, how are Dobby and Gollum the least bit similar?
Yeah, this is one of the more bizarre comparisons I've seen on here.

Overall, I really really enjoyed The Hobbit. I can understand most of the reasonable criticisms of it - slow start, cartoony and overlong action, somewhat bloated - but none of those bothered me a lot personally. The only real critique I have is that they didn't need to bother with Frodo and Old Bilbo to set things up. Everything else with Freeman and the dwarves in Bag End was good though. Overall I tend to like longer films that have more space to breathe though as a matter of taste.

I saw it in 48 FPS non-IMAX, and felt really immersed in everything. It took several minutes for me to adjust, but by the end of the prologue I didn't even notice the slightly-quick motions except for the occasional shot. And everything was so detailed and so beautiful.

Favorite scene - other than Riddles in the Dark which is without a debt the best scene in the movie, Freeman and Serkis were completely brilliant - was probably the White Council. As much as I'm enjoying the main plot of Bilbo and the Dwarves going after Smaug, seeing Gandalf with Galadriel, Elrond, and Good (if arrogant) Saruman had me grinning like an idiot.
Old December 18 2012, 12:05 PM   #205
Mr Light
Admiral

Why does everyone gravitate towards the Riddles in the Dark scene? Obviously it was a good scene but I certainly wouldn't consider it the high point of the movie.

And I thought it was great to see Ian Holm and Elijah Wood again

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 12:15 PM   #206
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Because not only is it the best written scene from the book, but both Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis acted their pants off and had incredible chemistry with each other.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 12:18 PM   #207
Skywalker
Admiral

I still think it's amusing that Riddles in the Dark was the first scene Freeman filmed. Talk about being thrown right into the deep end.

Though IIRC, the Grey Havens scene was also the first (or one of the first) scenes that the four hobbit actors filmed for LOTR. Wacky film scheduling!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 12:39 PM   #208
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
... and Good (if arrogant) Saruman...
Are we sure that Saruman is "Good" here? He sure had a, "Move along, move along. Nothing to see here." attitude toward the Necromancer.
Old December 18 2012, 12:57 PM   #209
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
I still think it's amusing that Riddles in the Dark was the first scene Freeman filmed. Talk about being thrown right into the deep end.
No kidding, but it shows what a versatile actor Martin Freeman is.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:09 PM   #210
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Yeah, the vibe I got from Saruman was hardly "good guy" - he certainly seemed more concerned with having the last word on everything (the dwarves' quest, Gandalf's involvement, Radagast's 'shrooms) than on what was actually going on at Dol Guldur.

As for the film's criticisms - while I thoroughly enjoyed the film, they seem reasonable enough. Though, personally, the only thing that really bugged me was Radagast's bird-poop hair and cross-eyed performance. Strange that in a cartoonish film that I'd be turned off by such silliness, but then again, not every reaction is a rational one.