Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 18 2013, 05:26 PM   #961
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Aatrek wrote: View Post
That's the "junior officer" look, which basically everybody outside the senior staff (and O'Brien) wears post-Season 4.
It's funny, I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I saw them many times...probably only because they would still put "senior staff" versions on guest stars from time to time. (Like how Sito got one, but Lavelle and Taurik didn't.) I need to pay better attention.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:52 AM   #962
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Tosk wrote: View Post
That's the "junior officer" look, which basically everybody outside the senior staff (and O'Brien) wears post-Season 4.
It's funny, I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I saw them many times...probably only because they would still put "senior staff" versions on guest stars from time to time. (Like how Sito got one, but Lavelle and Taurik didn't.) I need to pay better attention.
Don't feel bad. When I was a kid watching TNG in first-run syndication, I didn't even notice the uniform change from season2 to 3.
Old May 19 2013, 10:03 AM   #963
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Must admit, I'm loving the VAM on these sets. As if the vastly improved PQ and AQ wasn't reason enough to buy, these extras are superb.

Production design folks next isn't it? Can't wait to see what will be coming on the Seasons 5-7 sets.
I watched parts I and II of Assimilating The Next Generation yesterday and I actually feel that the extras on season 3 focus too much on the writers and the turmoil in the writers room. You've got the writer's room reunion, the Michael Piller tribute, multiple audio commentaries featuring writers.... Where are the actors? I hope that in future seasons the actors take center stage again or at the very least there'll be more of a balance between interviews with production staff and actors.
Old May 19 2013, 10:41 AM   #964
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Scotty wrote: View Post
I watched parts I and II of Assimilating The Next Generation yesterday .... Where are the actors?
In Part 3!!!
Old May 19 2013, 10:48 AM   #965
Scotty
Rear Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
I watched parts I and II of Assimilating The Next Generation yesterday .... Where are the actors?
In Part 3!!!
I know, I read your review.

Still, my point stands. You've got hours of VAM featuring writers and a 30 minute doc with actor interviews.
Old May 19 2013, 11:34 AM   #966
M
Vice Admiral

Personally, I appreciate the change of focus from the actors to the writers. The actors always seem to be in the center of those extras, even to the point where it feels like I've already heard all the stories they have tell for multiple times. So it's nice for a change to hear from the writers. I like their stories, because those are the people who actually created the universe I love so much, whereas the actors are "merely" the ones portraying what others have written.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:13 PM   #967
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Still, my point stands. You've got hours of VAM featuring writers and a 30 minute doc with actor interviews.
Yeah, but that's a perfect focus for me. The actors have been interviewed to death, and - with all due respect to them - have rather hazy memories of things that happened 25 years ago.

The writers on the other hand, have barely been touched with this sort of material, and have SO many fascinating stories to tell. (More interesting in a lot of ways).
Old May 19 2013, 02:05 PM   #968
Jaro Stun
Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Must admit, I'm loving the VAM on these sets. As if the vastly improved PQ and AQ wasn't reason enough to buy, these extras are superb.

Production design folks next isn't it? Can't wait to see what will be coming on the Seasons 5-7 sets.
I watched parts I and II of Assimilating The Next Generation yesterday and I actually feel that the extras on season 3 focus too much on the writers and the turmoil in the writers room. You've got the writer's room reunion, the Michael Piller tribute, multiple audio commentaries featuring writers.... Where are the actors? I hope that in future seasons the actors take center stage again or at the very least there'll be more of a balance between interviews with production staff and actors.
+1

If there is one /only one thing I do not like about S3 set is that the VAM is basically a single shoutbox for the writers. Don't get me wrong, good writers are the flesh and blood of a good show and its good, important, interesting and fair to showcase also this aspect of production.

But sometimes too much seems to be too much.

I would have prefered a little variety, maybe splitting the writers stuff scross multiple seasons and bringing in actors, makeup artists, VFX artists etc., especially focusing on the stuff of this season as there are was a major production values increase in S3 as it seems.
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:09 PM   #969
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

I really enjoy that they've been giving each season a theme - S1 was the creation of the show; S2 was the cast shakeups and character development, S3 is the writing staff, S4 looks to be the creative/production staff... I'd rather have each department get a full spotlight then flashes of everybody mixed together.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:13 PM   #970
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I always wanted to see a long doc on the production of STNG, or interviews of the FX, editing, sound, music, people. I'm sick of the actors who usually have little to contribute to the informational side of STNG.
Old May 19 2013, 05:30 PM   #971
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

M wrote: View Post
Personally, I appreciate the change of focus from the actors to the writers. The actors always seem to be in the center of those extras, even to the point where it feels like I've already heard all the stories they have tell for multiple times. So it's nice for a change to hear from the writers. I like their stories, because those are the people who actually created the universe I love so much, whereas the actors are "merely" the ones portraying what others have written.
I agree. I was pleasently surprised that more of the production team was interviewed this time around. What can actors still say about the seasons, that they haven't yet? "Yes, that was a really good episode" or "Yeah, that one didn't work". Who can blame them? They did those episodes a long time ago. The writers and creative people on the other hand have a lot more backround information about why an episode or season worked or didn't work. I could have listend to an hour more of Ira Behr remembering the problematic production of season 3.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:09 PM   #972
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
All the CGI in that Best Buy feature are based on the Enterprise-refit in Star Trek III. There was no Enterprise-D design even established at the point the digital effects in the feature were produced.

Yup, definitely glad they decided to go with models. TNG already had enough going against it in that first season. The last thing it needed was a cheesy CG Enterprise flying around.
I was told by someone in the art department at TNG in 1990 that expense was a big factor at the time. These renders weren't being done on Amigas.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:22 AM   #973
Mott the barber
Commodore

cbspock wrote: View Post
I agree, the remaster work on The Enemy was really well done. I agree you could finally really see what was going on on the planet. I also really like the Defector. The shots of the scout being chased by the warbird are even better now. I also really liked seeing all the detail on the scout ship and on the Enterprise particularly the shot of the scout drifting over the Enterprise.

-Chris

That post opening credit scene with the enterprise and the scout is the first on screen shot of the 4 footer.
Old May 20 2013, 01:08 PM   #974
I am not Spock
Commodore

I found the focus on the writers in the special features to be interesting. I am usually more interested in the creative side of what goes into writing a show, moreso than the technical side, the directing side.

Particularly the interviews with Ira Steven Behr and the chaos his pitch for Captain's Holiday went through, before it ended up on screen in a completely different form.
Old May 20 2013, 06:06 PM   #975
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
That post opening credit scene with the enterprise and the scout is the first on screen shot of the 4 footer.
Yup, and it looks frickin amazing. As much as people don't like the beefier look of that model, I think it was MORE than worth it for the great new shots we got of the Enterprise afterwards.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote