Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 9 2013, 01:19 PM   #886
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MikeS wrote: View Post
That said, I am reflecting on my experience as a 30 year old man, not an eight year old boy...
Again, there's the problem. We have an eight year old boy acting like a 30 year old adult. I remember when I was eight years old and whenever things got bad, I always went to my mother for help and support. I can't say what my exact reaction would have been if my mother had died when I was still eight, but I guarantee you that my first question would not have been "How, sir?" followed by "I understand."

The only way this depiction could have worked is if they made Jeremy a Vulcan child. It certainly would have made for an interesting storyline involving the exploration and understanding of what makes us different. Imagine Picard getting all worked up over the thought of having to tell a child that their only parent died and realizing that the Vulcan child's acceptance of her death is not what he had expected. Is being openly accepting of death to the point you don't grieve over the loss of a loved one a good thing, or a bad thing? Does it mean that there was no real relationship between the mother and child, or is there something buried deep inside that we don't fully understand? You know, let's explore something that's unique to Star Trek that hasn't been done in Star Trek before!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:09 PM   #887
davejames
Vice Admiral

^ Not every kid behaves in exactly the same way to a situation. Some burst into tears at the drop of a hat, and others become almost numb to the outside world and need more time to process their emotions. Especially someone like Jeremy who's already lost one parent, and is probably in a state of shock that he just lost another.

Of course it didn't help that the Jeremy actor wasn't all that good. You could see him really trying, but it just wasn't happening.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:41 PM   #888
Jefferies
Captain

Have been looking at the sales rank of season three on amazon.com and it's currently only at 83 in the blu ray segment and 12 in blu ray and sci fi. Not exactly tremendous. Season one seemed to sell slightly better if I remember correctly.

What do people think is this an indication interest isn't as high as it could be? Are sales lagging behind?
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:53 PM   #889
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

The biggest issue is that the releases are barely being promoted. If there was more money put into marketing the Blu-ray releases, more might be selling.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:59 PM   #890
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Should put some promotion on the front of Into Darkness while it is in theaters.
Old May 9 2013, 06:04 PM   #891
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Have been looking at the sales rank of season three on amazon.com and it's currently only at 83 in the blu ray segment and 12 in blu ray and sci fi. Not exactly tremendous. Season one seemed to sell slightly better if I remember correctly.

What do people think is this an indication interest isn't as high as it could be? Are sales lagging behind?
I don't think there's any threat to the remaining TNG seasons. But if sales drop off significantly, it may make CBS more hesitant to start work on HD DS9/VOY.
Old May 9 2013, 06:05 PM   #892
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for the OT, but i'm just so furious!
Fox didn't learn from CBS' mistakes.

Now they've commissioned HTV (!!) to do the whole X-files-series, my second fav show after Trek!
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...les-twin-peaks
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:15 PM   #893
BillJ
Admiral

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Sorry for the OT, but i'm just so furious!
Fox didn't learn from CBS' mistakes.

Now they've commissioned HTV (!!) to do the whole X-files-series, my second fav show after Trek!
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...les-twin-peaks
Ouch.

But to be honest, doesn't sound like it is getting a full "upgrade" anyway.
Old May 9 2013, 06:30 PM   #894
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

X Files will be just fine with HDTV. Nobody will study its VFX to the same anal degree as our fanbase.

Trek involves the camera lingering on photorealistic ships and planets. X Files briefly glimpsing weird stuff out in the woods.
Old May 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #895
BillJ
Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
The X Files will be just fine with HDTV. Nobody ever studied VFX to the same anal degree as Trek.
Unless HTV scrubs all the detail out of the live-action footage...
Old May 9 2013, 07:31 PM   #896
LastRideOut
Ensign

My wife and I watched a few episodes of ST TNG S3 last night, and I have to say that the presentation is simply outstanding. The picture looks very cinematic, and exceedingly so at moments of clarity, most noticeably on the bridge where the lighting is even and really shines through.

With that said, X-Files is my second favorite franchise after Star Trek and even though X-files does not involve as much VFX, the news that HTV is working on it makes me cringe. The live action shots in S2 looked flat compared to S1 and S3. I expect the same for X-Files now, and what a shame. I had really hoped that X-Files would get the proper treatment, and commissioning HTV to do the work is not what I would call good news. Ugh. I'm very disappointed at this news.
LastRideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:38 PM   #897
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

New TrekCore feature: Inside TNG's Visual Effects: "The Bonding"

Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:59 PM   #898
Borjis
Commodore

sadsquid wrote: View Post
Just watched the gag reel. Another great bunch of outtakes! You really get a feel for how comfortable the actors all were with each other. The final one was unexpected and hilarious!
My favorite one so far (I must have played it back 10 times)

Worf in the conference room, close up, he's supposed to get up and leave but doesn't then off screen,
Patrick goes off on him to get his ass in gear.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:33 PM   #899
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
The X Files will be just fine with HDTV. Nobody ever studied VFX to the same anal degree as Trek.
Unless HTV scrubs all the detail out of the live-action footage...
Just hope that they've learned how to apply DNR consistently.....

Re the upconverted VFX - Firefly didn't look that bad on BD in the end. It won't be up to TNG-R standard, but then that's the benchmark at the moment.
Old May 9 2013, 09:36 PM   #900
Jeyl
Commodore

Oh, nice. This is the season that contains all the face palming from Picard and Riker.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote