Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 2 2013, 07:00 AM   #691
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
I've never noticed this either, and I've watched every TNG episode into the ground. I don't own the blu rays of season 3 yet.

Can someone post some good comparison pics?
Here's the early season 3 uniform:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...orm_Jacket.jpg

Here's the later one:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205172839/memoryalpha/en/images/7/78/Uniform_transition_2366.jpg

It's pretty subtle in SD. The shoulder pads are a little different, and there are multiple seams. Two vertical, and two or three along the side.

The early season 3 uniforms continued to be spandex, which the cast didn't like, so they switched materials (and got rid of the seams).

Last edited by jimbotron; May 2 2013 at 07:10 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:14 AM   #692
Mr_Homn
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I've never noticed this either, and I've watched every TNG episode into the ground. I don't own the blu rays of season 3 yet.

Can someone post some good comparison pics?
Here's the early season 3 uniform:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...orm_Jacket.jpg

Here's the later one:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205172839/memoryalpha/en/images/7/78/Uniform_transition_2366.jpg

It's pretty subtle in SD. The shoulder pads are a little different, and there are multiple seams. Two vertical, and two or three along the side.

The early season 3 uniforms continued to be spandex, which the cast didn't like, so they switched materials (and got rid of the seams).
Wow, I never noticed those seams over the chest. That's crazy! How did I never notice that? Sure will be distracting, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Old May 2 2013, 08:00 AM   #693
davejames
Vice Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
Just finished Ensigns of Command. It was a pretty good episode. Who was black actor in the green shirt? Was he in any other episodes? His voice sounds familiar. The Sheliak ship is just as horrible in HD as it was in SD..lol Just a mashup of the freighter from The Search for Spock.

-Chris
Yeah I liked this ep as well. Although I did have to chuckle at how there's supposedly "15,000" inhabitants, yet only about 25 ever bother to show up to discuss the imminent attack on their city from the Sheliak. Lol

And wait, was that O'Brien playing bass during the musical concert?!? Seriously?? Was this musical ability of his EVER seen or referenced again on TNG or DS9? Because I sure don't remember it.

Oh and yeah, the Sheliak do look kind of laughably bad now in HD. It basically just looks like a guy wearing a comforter someone took off their bed. And I never realized before that their voice was the exact same one used for Armus in Skin of Evil.

Last edited by davejames; May 2 2013 at 08:16 AM.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:06 AM   #694
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, I never noticed those seams over the chest. That's crazy! How did I never notice that? Sure will be distracting, but it's interesting nonetheless.
I remembered the seams and how snug the uniforms were, but I didn't remember the communicators being positioned so far to the middle before, which just looks odd. And plus you can make out the underlying folds and such under the material, which is not too appealing.

Glad they decided to refine it a bit more later, and go for a much smoother look.
Old May 2 2013, 08:52 AM   #695
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Wow, I'd forgotten how good an episode The Defector is. One of the best TNG episodes they'd made up to then, right up there with Q Who and Measure of A Man IMO. Just really strong writing/dialogue, brilliant acting and great pacing. And now it looks awesome in HD too! From The Defector on is when Season 3 REALLY gets good.
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:46 AM   #696
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Just starting to watch season 3 looking and sounding good !! Just noticed the uniforms seams. It's amazing what HD brings out !! Looking forward to watching future episodes !!!
Old May 2 2013, 12:10 PM   #697
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

I bought it at Target last night after work to take advantage of the good deal they have! I got the last Season 3 they had and the second to last BOBW bluray! Have not had a chance to watch any of it yet but very excited to!
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:15 PM   #698
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Here's a good look at the early S3 uniforms in HD:

Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:20 PM   #699
Flake
Commodore

Grant wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Every line spoken by Gosheven (the chief heavy) was overdubbed - with a different actor's voice, IIRC.. I don't know why they did that.
The actor who played Goshaven did the majority of his lines right next to the water pumping station. The sound of the running water was found to be too loud and they had to dub over all his lines with a different actor because the original actor was not available.

UNTRUE.

The dispute reached the point where the actor declined taking credit for the role---that didn't happen because they dubbed a few lines because of background noise.
Oh well I apologize if it is untrue but I did read that somewhere and I didn't make it up. So it seems I read incorrect info to start with
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:48 PM   #700
MikeS
Fleet Captain

To all those people saying they'd never seen the seams on early season three uniforms before - really? They were always really obvious to me, even during the first run of TNG back in the early nineties on the BBC. Did the television sets in America have a lower resolution than ours during that period?
Old May 2 2013, 04:53 PM   #701
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I always noticed the horizontal seams, but not those set of two along the side until now.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:15 PM   #702
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

I don't have S3 so far, but got the BOBW-Movie-BD today.
To my taste, the music on the 7.1 english track is MUCH too loud compared to the voices.
If I reduce the volume to a normal level while the opening theme is on, I almost can't hear the voices later on.
I just watch on the TV, I don't have surround audio equipment here at the moment.
S1 and 2 sound appears normal on TV with the same settings.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:28 PM   #703
Grant
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post

The actor who played Goshaven did the majority of his lines right next to the water pumping station. The sound of the running water was found to be too loud and they had to dub over all his lines with a different actor because the original actor was not available.

UNTRUE.

The dispute reached the point where the actor declined taking credit for the role---that didn't happen because they dubbed a few lines because of background noise.
Oh well I apologize if it is untrue but I did read that somewhere and I didn't make it up. So it seems I read incorrect info to start with
Don't apologize. The story you said makes sense in that many times actors are dubbed last minute for sound issues.

Good example the outdoor scenes in Return of the Archons has all of Harry Townes lines dubbed by (kebbler elf voice) Walker Edmiston.

But waaaay back in the day it was known that actor Grainger Hines did something to annoy the TNG procduction folks.

Some say he took on some strange John Wayne impersonation during shooting and refused to loop it. Other story was he just gave such a poor performance vocally (bored sounding) that they just brought in a good voice actor to dub his lines.

When he found his voice had been removed he asked his name be taken from the credits---which they were happy to do since he had made their life difficult.

Pretty rare event in Trek. They looped all of Alexander Siddig's lines in that episode where he was possessed by an alien because he had taken a Bela Lugosi voice during the shoot.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:35 PM   #704
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I watched some of the special features, interesting that they did a costume test with Data in red for season 3, I would have liked some information on that not just the footage with the writers talking about something completely different.

I also watched the David Rappaport footage for "The most toys", it wasn't very good, it's not just the performance that seemed off, the make-up was horrible, I'm glad they changed the look of the character when they recast.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:36 PM   #705
davejames
Vice Admiral

The dubbing never bothered me much before, but in HD it's much more obvious.