Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 2 2013, 01:01 AM   #676
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Flake wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
I noticed that hideous shot of from Ensigns of Command as well, my first thought was "why is the Enterprise powered down?"

Regarding the on-screen text, without pausing it to read it, I too saw a few jokes, notably something referencing "find and replace." I think I actually prefer when the leave the onscreen text as-is rather than replacing it with something more accurate to the scene, but admittedly the replaced text will likely hold up longer.

I also noticed that the dedication plaque is slightly different than the one we normally see. It only contained a single column of text at the bottom, rather than the numerous columns listing the names of the crew members from the show.

It also painfully obvious that some of the lines were redubbed when the show was first produced.
Every line spoken by Gosheven (the chief heavy) was overdubbed - with a different actor's voice, IIRC.. I don't know why they did that.
The actor who played Goshaven did the majority of his lines right next to the water pumping station. The sound of the running water was found to be too loud and they had to dub over all his lines with a different actor because the original actor was not available.

UNTRUE.

The dispute reached the point where the actor declined taking credit for the role---that didn't happen because they dubbed a few lines because of background noise.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:26 AM   #677
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I haven't gotten to watching the episodes yet (Finished the Borg special feature today, which is pretty much what we saw in the theater) but the only thing I remember loving in Evolution was all the Baseball scenes. You could tell Michael Piller had his hands all over that one.
Old May 2 2013, 01:54 AM   #678
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Noticing weird audio "muffling" in The Best of Both Worlds disc. Audio will be loud and clear then all of a sudden it would be really tough to hear in certain scenes, especially near the end of part one.
Old May 2 2013, 02:19 AM   #679
Grant
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Noticing weird audio "muffling" in The Best of Both Worlds disc. Audio will be loud and clear then all of a sudden it would be really tough to hear in certain scenes, especially near the end of part one.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:55 AM   #680
Trekfan76137
Ensign

I've seen it. Its test footage of the movie era Enterprise because they hadn't designed the Galaxy-class ship yet. Its interesting, and impressive for the day, but they made the right decision in going with physical models.
Trekfan76137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:41 AM   #681
RAMA
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I love Evolution for many reasons...the character bits, both with the guest actor and Wesley. The treatment of both an alien species and an artificial intelligence (this episode gets 5 stars simply for there being no Kirk to talk the AI to death). The indroduction to the masses of nanotechnology. The use of baseball metaphors. The wonderful music and FX. There really is nowhere this episode goes wrong.

RAMA
I liked the idea of the nanites, but it didn't feel like much was really done with it. They cause a bit of havoc on the ship, they attack the scientist, and then after he gives a quick apology they're gone.

It also seemed like a stretch that a couple of Wesley's escaped nanites could take control of the ship and develop an intelligence in a matter of hours. Yeah I know he's supposed to be a genius and all, but come on.
Not much was done with it?? They accidentally are let loose, the evolve exponentially in hours, replicate with raw material, damaging the enterpirise computers, are attacked, fight back (collectively declaring war), then are negotiated with, and settled...all in the same episode. Wesley only set them in motion by creating smarter nanites, they did the rest on their own.
Old May 2 2013, 04:02 AM   #682
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

One thing really stands out in HD. It's the interim uniforms they used in the first half-dozen or so episodes. The vertical and horizontal seams on the front and back are pretty distracting. I've always noticed the vertical ones, but I never noticed the seams near the armpits before.

Starting in Booby Trap, Picard gets the newest and final uniform. Riker gets one in the next episode, The Enemy, while the yellow-shirts get them later.

In Booby Trap, I didn't notice a CGI Enterprise. I did notice the new explosion for the warship and collectors. And when the Enterprise fires the torpedoes, they flipped the hull registry to its proper orientation (which HTV forgot to do in Pen Pals - they left it blank)
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:18 AM   #683
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, I've been keeping a close eye on the uniforms as well. Don't remember at which point all the main cast get the "solid" uniforms. Seemed a little silly that only Picard wore it in "Booby Trap", almost as if it were a test case. The one thing that bugs me about season 3 is all the peons still wearing the old style uniforms, but hey, Lieutenant O'Brien was cool enough to get a new one.
Old May 2 2013, 04:42 AM   #684
trekker670
Captain

I've never noticed the vertical seams before, but found them very apparent in the blurays. I dismissed it as being from the degraded quality of the original prints. I'm slightly relieved that that it wasn't that I never noticed it, but rather that it was only in a few episodes. I think the seams actually add a little character to the uniforms.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:51 AM   #685
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I've never liked the 'in-between' uniforms very much. Thank goodness they didn't last long.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:46 AM   #686
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Just finished Ensigns of Command. It was a pretty good episode. Who was black actor in the green shirt? Was he in any other episodes? His voice sounds familiar. The Sheliak ship is just as horrible in HD as it was in SD..lol Just a mashup of the freighter from The Search for Spock.

-Chris
Old May 2 2013, 06:46 AM   #687
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I've never liked the 'in-between' uniforms very much. Thank goodness they didn't last long.
I didn't even realize the uniforms changed through out season 3, the seams are really noticeable in HD.

-Chris
Old May 2 2013, 06:49 AM   #688
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
Just finished Ensigns of Command. It was a pretty good episode. Who was black actor in the green shirt? Was he in any other episodes? His voice sounds familiar
Yup, he was the Tamarian first officer in Darmok.
Old May 2 2013, 06:54 AM   #689
Mr_Homn
Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
I didn't even realize the uniforms changed through out season 3, the seams are really noticeable in HD.

-Chris
I've never noticed this either, and I've watched every TNG episode into the ground. I don't own the blu rays of season 3 yet.

Can someone post some good comparison pics?
Old May 2 2013, 06:55 AM   #690
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

At the beginning of The Enemy, right after they beam down to the planet, there's a flash of lightning, and the set backdrop curtain appears quite prominently.