Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 22 2008, 06:53 AM   #1
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Graphic Novelizations of Trek Novels

Hey, Marco, how would you feel about doing comic book versions of Trek novels? I was thinking on the train today about how I wish I could *see* various characters, places, starships, aliens species, space battles, and events from so many Star Trek novels...from the first TOS ones to the Destiny trilogy. I remembered how Ashes of Eden was released in comic form at the same time as novel, and I enjoyed seeing a novel come to life visually. Ditto the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, others. It'd be quite an undertaking I imagine, with securing legal rights and finding the right people to do the adaptations, but I think it could be real special.

I'd love to see Orion's Hounds, Serpents Among the Ruins, Dark Mirror, Vendetta, Federation, The Final Reflection, Pathways, and the entire Rihannsu quintet illustrated, just to name a few!

Although my favorite novel covers don't have this, I'm one of those people who get a special kick out of those where you get to see some of the new characters within - thinking especially of the DS9R and Titan books.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Graphic Novelizations of Trek Novels

Arpy wrote: View Post
Hey, Marco, how would you feel about doing comic book versions of Trek novels?
IDW and Tokyopop have the exclusive licenses for ST comics and graphic novels.

"The Ashes of Eden", from DC Comics, came out simultaneously with the Pocket novel. If that graphic novel had sold gangbusters, I'm sure there'd have been more.

The problem is, once you've read a ST novel, why fill up a comic slot with a graphic novel version when you still own the book - and the comic slot could go to an original story? And vice versa.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Steve Roby
Commodore

Well, I'm not Marco, but...

We don't get nearly as many Trek novels and comics as we did for a while in the 1990s. Why use limited publishing slots for stories we've already read, rather than giving us as many new stories as possible?

That's not to say I wouldn't love to see a Vanguard comic, a Titan comic, or a DS9R comic, among other things, but if they happened, I'd prefer them to be new stories created for that medium, with close editorial coordination between Pocket and IDW.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

I assume you're addressing the question to me because you think it would be my call. It would not be. Graphic novels represent a very specialized area of publishing, which book publishers are (generally) not equipped for.

Plus, we don't have a license to publish Star Trek comics.

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
That's not to say I wouldn't love to see a Vanguard comic, a Titan comic, or a DS9R comic, among other things, but if they happened, I'd prefer them to be new stories created for that medium, with close editorial coordination between Pocket and IDW.
My sentiments exactly.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2008, 06:14 PM   #5
JD
Admiral

I'd rather go with an original stories too. There's no reason why we would need to have direct adaptations of the books to see the characters. Even characters from older books, like the Rihansuu books, could still theoretically pop up in new stories.
Old October 23 2008, 03:09 AM   #6
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I'd be interested to see how Christopher, for one example, would handle the comics/manga/BD format. I'd be inclined to prefer an original story, at least for the moment.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

I don't know what BD stands for in that context, but I'd definitely like to write Trek comics, original stories, of course.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 04:47 AM   #8
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Bande Dessinée. Don't often hear that used in English outside of direct references to the Franco-Belgian school of comic books (Tintin, Astérix, Smurfs, etc.)

Creditorly yours, the Rent Woman
Old October 23 2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't know what BD stands for in that context
Gee, I was hoping for Bondage/Discipline ST comics. I reckon Mr Arex could tie a mean knot.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Andrew Harris
Writer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Harris

Hey, Marco, how would you feel about doing comic book versions of Trek novels? I was thinking on the train today about how I wish I could *see* various characters, places, starships, aliens species, space battles, and events from so many Star Trek novels...from the first TOS ones to the Destiny trilogy. I remembered how Ashes of Eden was released in comic form at the same time as novel, and I enjoyed seeing a novel come to life visually. Ditto the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, others. It'd be quite an undertaking I imagine, with securing legal rights and finding the right people to do the adaptations, but I think it could be real special.

I'd love to see Orion's Hounds, Serpents Among the Ruins, Dark Mirror, Vendetta, Federation, The Final Reflection, Pathways, and the entire Rihannsu quintet illustrated, just to name a few!

Although my favorite novel covers don't have this, I'm one of those people who get a special kick out of those where you get to see some of the new characters within - thinking especially of the DS9R and Titan books.
I really, genuinely love the fact that people want to see more comics produced for their favorite prose stories. But, I'd really love it even more if people stopped thinking of comics as a spare tire for prose storytelling.

It's great that you want to see your favorite books adapted, but there have been countless outstanding Trek comic stories produced over the years (and, just like the prose stories, some clunkers too); and there'll be countless great comics stories produced in years to come. Likewise, I understand the appeal of wanting to see Trek comics from some of your favorite prose writers, but I'm much more interested to see Trek comics from some of my favorite comics writers.

Too often Trek fans think that comics writing is simply a ghetto industry for people who can't cut it as novelists--and that type of thinking even infects some prose authors (Trek and otherwise) as well. When I was editing for IDW, I even had one prose author approach me at a convention virtually expecting an assignment on the spot, simply because he was a novelist willing to slum it in comics--no pitches in hand, no script samples, nothing. Needless to say, he never understood why I never called him up.
Andrew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 01:59 PM   #11
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

That's right. In Ottawa, right next door to Québec as it is, you get to see all three major schools of graphic fiction(North American, European, Japanese), so I used all three names for it.

As for comics scripting, it's a discipline unto itself. It's not unlike writing for TV or motion pictures, but it does have its own rules, tricks, and quirks. The authors who manage to transition back and forth between the two writing disciplines...well, they've got my respect. Diane Duane, Greg Rucka, Warren Ellis...these are good examples of such.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

Andrew Harris wrote: View Post
I really, genuinely love the fact that people want to see more comics produced for their favorite prose stories. But, I'd really love it even more if people stopped thinking of comics as a spare tire for prose storytelling.
QFT. Preach on, Brother Andrew!

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 02:44 PM   #13
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

Too often Trek fans think that comics writing is simply a ghetto industry for people who can't cut it as novelists--and that type of thinking even infects some prose authors (Trek and otherwise) as well. When I was editing for IDW, I even had one prose author approach me at a convention virtually expecting an assignment on the spot, simply because he was a novelist willing to slum it in comics--no pitches in hand, no script samples, nothing. Needless to say, he never understood why I never called him up.
How Not to Further Your Writing Career, Example #4,598,312.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Well, I certainly don't see it as slumming. The reason I'm interested in writing Trek comics is because I'm interested in working in the comics medium itself, taking on a new challenge. And because I'm a visually oriented person and would enjoy seeing my stories told visually.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2008, 09:35 AM   #15
Andrew Harris
Writer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Harris

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, I certainly don't see it as slumming. The reason I'm interested in writing Trek comics is because I'm interested in working in the comics medium itself, taking on a new challenge. And because I'm a visually oriented person and would enjoy seeing my stories told visually.
...And therein lies the point exactly. An editor isn't going to give an assignment to someone who would be challenged by the prospect of writing an ordinary comics script. Which, you would think, should be obvious to everyone involved; and yet, somehow, isn't.
Andrew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote