Decent Open Source 3d/CAD modelling programs?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Brefugee, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So I've recently brought a new Laptop and considering doing some 3d modelling, try and actually render the Starships I've sketched over the years into some form of physical representation. But my question is, do you guys have any suggests for a decent Open Source 3d/CAD programs.

The specs of my new "baby" are:

• Samsung Series 3 Notebook with Windows 8 (not sure how relevant that is)
    • AMD Quadcore with AMD Radeon Graphics card.
    • 6GB of Ram
    Any and all thanks will be appreciated.

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

You might want to browse through the 3D Software? thread pinned at the top of this forum. Presumably, you are looking for "free," rather than "open source" - unless you're also planning on doing some programming ;).

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Oh, I didn't see that, it is an obvious question and one I'm sure the stickied thread will address. And yes, I do mean free, I'm not sure where to start with 3d modelling, let alone programing them.

4. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sketchup is easy enough.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sketchup is great. Until you decide to go for something more high end. At that point it becomes very hard to unlearn the methodology of building things in it. If you just want to "play around" I reccomend it, but if you really want to invest some time and get into some serious modelling, Blender is the better choice. It's free and widely supported and will take you further as it has many more features.

And I say this as someone who does all my modelling in Sketchup.