RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 550
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 28 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Bemoaning lost memorabilia

An ST fan since 1966, I collected a lot of related merchandise. Models, books, videotapes, 70s fanzines, 35mm frames, scripts, posters, prop replicas-- including a hand phaser bought from Majel herself *SURPRISE!* who was there as a vendor and not as a guest. Then in 1990, an accident and job loss upended my financial situation and I can't even afford cable/satellite tv these days. After 15 moves in 20 years, all that Trek stuff is gone but for a few books and videotapes.

There was a very small convention during the 80s in Kansas City, at a community college campus I think. There seemed to be less than 1200 people, so the setting was pretty intimate. The lines were small enough I waited for Mr. Kelley's autograph. He was such a gentleman, very friendly. For small talk I mentioned he had inspired me to try acting in high school, because we were both Baptist preacher's kids. He signed the photo with an added "P.K.'s!"

That photo is what I miss most of all.
Old December 29 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: Bemoaning lost memorabilia

Colorforms, that mego bridge set. the original technical manual. Star Trek disc shooters. The model set that the damn nacelles kept falling off.

I've only been to one convention, it was a medium venue, but it was too cool to arrive and immediatly see people you recognize just walking around.

and sad to see people you recognize sitting there by themselves reading a book, while waiting for someone to come talk to them. (Im referring to Herb Jefferson Jr., if anyone cares)
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Gary7
Rear Admiral

We don't actually own anything... just rented for a while. Hopefully you enjoyed your memorabilia while you had it in hand. Now some other folks are enjoying it... or hanging onto it in hopes of appreciation.

I've had some Star Trek memorabilia that I later sold... yet lost money when considering the depreciated US dollar. The only thing that has seriously gone up are some Master Replicas props. But I don't plan to let go of those for a very long time.

But yeah, I had some great memorabilia from other franchises that I wish I'd kept. I had *2* large Lost In Space B9 robots (like 24" tall), the ones with lights and sounds. One got bashed up in some aggressive rough housing and the other was given away to some kid unbeknownst to me (which my mother regretted doing, after she got wind of my reaction). I also had a G.I. Joe with space suit and Mercury capsule. I don't even want to begin to look at resale on those! It would probably make me sick.
Old December 30 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
A'Tun-Te
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Herb Jefferson Jr... Isn't he Boomer from BSG (1970's series)?
I loved the original BSG series, and imho: the recent 'remake' is a "content corruption" of the original.
But hey, that's me.
I still think the original Cylon Raiders are amongst the most beautiful...

Edited per the request, good Sir.
I did not mean any harm...

Last edited by A'Tun-Te; December 30 2012 at 05:46 PM.
A'Tun-Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

A'Tun-Te wrote: View Post
I loved the original BSG series, and imho: the recent 'remake' is a rape of the original.
Maybe it would be a good idea not to trivialize the word "rape".
Old December 30 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
the original technical manual. Star Trek disc shooters.
Still got mine!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I had 12" Captain Pike and Siskos that my grandmother bought me in high school. I sold them and she passed away around the same time. I really wish I had those back.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I really, really wish I still had the poster and blueprint set of the "ringship" that Lincoln enterprises sold back in the day.

*sigh*
Old December 30 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
A'Tun-Te
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
I've been looking at your gallery, but it is not up to my taste.
I prefer lovely ladies in high quality, such as Carina:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0905...a2_hst_big.jpg

A truly hot girl, oh yes. XD
Old December 30 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Oh, and the fleet battle game with the cutouts of the ship, and you picked a firing angle and used string to determine if you hit.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

Heck, I still even have a note pad with the Enterprise each page that I got from Lincoln Enterprises.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I may still have some old 35mm film clips, I was mostly collecting effects (Apollo standing on a blue box in front of a blue screen), and the clapboards indicating scene and take numbers.

The monetary value of the lost objects isn't any concern for me, I miss them for sentimental reasons.
Old December 31 2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ I know what you mean. I have some clay phasers that I'd made when I was a young teenager at summer camp. At one point I'd lost them... then recently rediscovered them. Simply hilarious to look at, but also a memory anchor. I pick up and hold them and it's like going back in time. The memories from that time come back fresh as day, like I was back there running about in the forest, hoping I'd stumble upon a landing party.

Last edited by Gary7; December 31 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 05:50 PM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

^ Nice! I've loved and lost much memorabilia over the years. Sometimes I recall an item with a pang of sadness that it's gone. It's less the item itself and more the memories associated with the thing that I get mournful over. I lost my original Kirk 6 foot door poster (that reminds me of being at Uni and getting into Trek in a big way) for example. My favourite memorabilia is usually fan made stuff rather than the professional merchandise, though.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Hey, these days we have to do things we don't want to in order to just get by. I am so sorry you lost all your Star Trek stuff. But the truth is, it's not the stuff, it's the memories. Some of my most valuable Star Trek "things" are memories of watching TOS while sitting on my dad's lap (my dad died when I was 7 years old so it's the only memory I have of him), going to the opening nights of the movies with my friends and meeting Gene Roddenberry and being too in awe to ask for an autograph.

That is a Trek fan's true collection.

By the way, hang in there, man. The economy will get better. We are all out there feeling it.

Last edited by Anji; January 8 2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Add encouragement
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote