RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 555
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 5 2012, 02:36 AM   #16
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Yesterday's Enterprise battle

If there is just one thing I want CBS-D to add/change in the entire series - it's at the end of this Battle after Riker is killed and Picard gives his "That'll be the day", jumps back to tactical and starts hammering away at the buttons. In the original SD version, the Enterprise fires like 3 piddly phaser beams and thats it. Yes, the ship is damaged, but she's already gonna blow - I wanted to see the scene alight with phasers all towards the Klingon ships. Show areas blowing out on the Enterprise as the phasers overload or some such - nothing much, just a half second of fizzling effects. Something to make it seem like Picard has nothing left to loose and is going to do everything in his power to take out the Klingons, even if it risks his own ship. The original shot just seemed too piddly for a big finish.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:42 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
If there is just one thing I want CBS-D to add/change in the entire series - it's at the end of this Battle after Riker is killed and Picard gives his "That'll be the day", jumps back to tactical and starts hammering away at the buttons. In the original SD version, the Enterprise fires like 3 piddly phaser beams and thats it. Yes, the ship is damaged, but she's already gonna blow - I wanted to see the scene alight with phasers all towards the Klingon ships. Show areas blowing out on the Enterprise as the phasers overload or some such - nothing much, just a half second of fizzling effects. Something to make it seem like Picard has nothing left to loose and is going to do everything in his power to take out the Klingons, even if it risks his own ship. The original shot just seemed too piddly for a big finish.
Why? What would that add?

That's the problem I think Voyager and to some extent DS9 runs into, fixating too much on effects and 'splosions! Why? What's the point? What Picard is doing and why is pretty clear and has worked perfectly in that scene for 20 years now. Why change it?
Old December 5 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Dac
Commodore

Because in the live action shots, fire is everywhere, stuff is blowing up and the camera is shaking - you cut to the effects, and its as static shot with like 2 phaser beams - It really undersells whats happening.
Old December 5 2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Because in the live action shots, fire is everywhere, stuff is blowing up and the camera is shaking - you cut to the effects, and its as static shot with like 2 phaser beams - It really undersells whats happening.
Well, I'd say it served well in 1990 when the episode came out and it's done very well ever since. I don't see why they need to add in "kewl new maneuvers and 'splosions!" just for the hell of it.
Old December 5 2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Mott the barber
Commodore

I see what both of you are saying...I could go for the middle ground of adding in an extra phaser shot or two.
Old December 5 2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Reeborg
Commander

I always felt that fight scene was very strange if not even ridiculous. The Klingons are steadily shooting but the Enterprise did mostly not (return) fire. Some (rare) faint shots at best. When they started at one time REALLY to shoot they blew immediately one bird of prey away. If they had done this from the start, instead of just taking the blows, they would have easily destroyed all three enemy ships. Okay it was probably a question of (production) cost, but still.

Last edited by Reeborg; December 5 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Forbin
Admiral

Star Trek writers are not known for their knowledge of sensible military tactics.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:41 PM   #23
Mott the barber
Commodore

Reeborg wrote: View Post
I always felt that fight scene was very strange if not even ridiculous. The Klingons are steadily shooting but the Enterprise did mostly not (return) fire. Some (rare) faint shots at best. When they started at one time REALLY to shoot they blew immediately one bird of prey away. If they had done this from the start, instead of just taking the blows, they would have easily destroyed all three enemy ships. Okay it was probably a question of (production) cost, but still.
Yeah, I've always felt this way too, which is why I wouldn't mind an extra phaser shot or two added in. I'm not talking dramatic barrel rolls or anything though.
Old December 5 2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Dac
Commodore

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I see what both of you are saying...I could go for the middle ground of adding in an extra phaser shot or two.
That's all I want. Extra phaser shots. Keep it static, just make the shot flare up with phaser fire.
Old December 5 2012, 07:44 PM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I saw that about a year ago I think, they did "spruce" up some of the shots. I DO wish they would do this type of work more often on the STNG remastering.
They've constant said the TNG remastering is not about adding in a ton of new HD CGI space battles. That would be too expensive to do for this kind of project.

Not sure how they are going to handle later DS9 seasons or the entire VOY series, which would required all that.

Duh, I'm not talking about space battles, they rarely had those in TNG, I'm talking about improving composition, perspective, motion and detail in FX shots. I LIKE much of the model recompositing they are doing, but there certainly ARE scenes that could be improved upon that they don't because of some silly notion that it will change the "art" of a technical side of film making, when it could better.
Old December 5 2012, 08:30 PM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Again... better to whom? The episode survived just fine now for DECADES with what's happened on screen. There's no need to add in extra phaser shots or torpedo bolts or whatever simply so weapons-philles can get a couple extra wanks in. That's not the point of the scene, or the episode. It would add nothing! So why change it? Because it looks cool? Not good enough.
Old December 5 2012, 08:36 PM   #27
Dac
Commodore

It doesn't make or break the episode - but to me I've always felt that final shot just before the timeline corrects itself lacked all the kinetic energy that sequence had built up until that point - the shot just before it of Picard frantically pushing the buttons at tactical with fire all around him is far more energetic than the shot immediately after, of the Enterprise-D's "last stand".

The two split second phaser shots we got were laughable in the face of the Klingon's assault. The Enterprise still had power - why not show a barrage of phaser fire coming from all over the ship from its various emitters? I don't want a photon/quantum/tricobolt torpedo/device orgy with the camera doing summersaults in time to requiem for a dream - just more urgency in the rate/amount of phaser fire coming from the Enterprise. From what we've seen in the Trailer for season 3, it appears the battle at the end of Yesterdays Enterprise has been beefed up a bit - at least in the shot of the Enterprise firing phasers at a bird of prey in the trailer the phasers look and feel far more substantial their power than they did before.

EDIT: I a word.

Last edited by Dac; December 6 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old December 5 2012, 11:18 PM   #28
Reeborg
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Again... better to whom? The episode survived just fine now for DECADES with what's happened on screen. There's no need to add in extra phaser shots or torpedo bolts or whatever simply so weapons-philles can get a couple extra wanks in. That's not the point of the scene, or the episode. It would add nothing! So why change it? Because it looks cool? Not good enough.
You don't get it. The reason is not "making it look cool" but "making the fight a bit believable and realistic". As it was done originally, it just felt unrealistic and even ridiculous. Why did the Enterprise not fire its weapons? Of course, it would not have a bit impact on the whole since it already is a brilliant episode. However, if any effect remastering would make sense and improve the visuals and the episode coherence, I really feel, IT SHOULD BE HERE.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 10:30 AM   #29
Timo
Admiral

The reason is not "making it look cool" but "making the fight a bit believable and realistic". As it was done originally, it just felt unrealistic and even ridiculous.
Yet it would feel even more so with the ships dancing a fast-paced ballet.

There's no benchmark for "realistic" when it comes to space battles. There are only artistic choices. Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek all made their own choices, and sticking to them is elemental to them maintaining their identity. Science fiction is a fundamentally visual thing: the writing, the characters and the acting performances are almost incidental compared with the sets, the props and the space battle VFX. To give up the TNG style would mean giving up Star Trek.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 02:38 PM   #30
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
The reason is not "making it look cool" but "making the fight a bit believable and realistic". As it was done originally, it just felt unrealistic and even ridiculous.
Yet it would feel even more so with the ships dancing a fast-paced ballet.

There's no benchmark for "realistic" when it comes to space battles. There are only artistic choices. Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek all made their own choices, and sticking to them is elemental to them maintaining their identity. Science fiction is a fundamentally visual thing: the writing, the characters and the acting performances are almost incidental compared with the sets, the props and the space battle VFX. To give up the TNG style would mean giving up Star Trek.
Making one battle a little more exciting (and in the process, making YE Starfleet a thousand times more competent) wouldn't be giving up the TNG style (having the Enterprise engage in nBSG Viper maneuvers would be), nor does giving up on the style of a show's action scenes means that you have to give up Star Trek. It just means that the show's way of conveying action wasn't effective all the time.