Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 8 2012, 11:36 AM   #136
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Princess Kate (aka the Duchess of Cambridge) is Pregnant!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
They should get fired and possibly even sued.
Why? Is it because the nurse who took the phonecall, not the one who revealed information which was already in the public domain allegedly committed suicide? How on earth could they even comprehend or predict that that would happen? From reports, the phonecall was recorded, sent off to the radio stations lawyers to check it was all above board, they signed off on it and it was broadcast.

Prank calls of this nature aren't unheard of and more often than not, both parties laugh them off. St. James Palace didn't complain, nor have any members of the Royal Family, it's just trial by the interwebz against the broadcasters and station involved.

They've been suspended, the programme has been pulled, several sponsors have left and 2Day FM have stopped all advertising over the weekend. I'm sure Mel Greig and Michael Christian now regret what was deemed a good idea and a bit of harmless fun at the time, but I personally don't believe they should lose their jobs and no way should they be sued.

tighr wrote: View Post
I apologize if this sounds insensitive, but I don't see how this is the DJs fault...
Exactly, it was more than likely the straw that broke the camels back for Mrs Saldanha. In no way is it the radio broadcasters fault she may have taken her own life.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 12:31 PM   #137
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Agreed with the above three comments. People seem to be making out these DJs were purposefully going after this nurse in question. But she just so happened to be the person who answered the phone
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 01:23 PM   #138
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

I think the whole prank was stupid and wrongful, already as an idea. The radio people did not show any respect towards the patient, her loved ones/close family, nor the hospital and its staff. I find the whole incident disgusting
If I would do something like they did as an private person, I would be most likely be called an total a-hole and might be even accused of an felony(even if I would say that I did it "just for laughs").

I think the apparent suicide might have been triggered by the humiliation caused by the global media attention of the incident. Plus I am pretty sure she did get plenty of "what an stupid nurse" kinds of comments
Being a nurse is a very stressful job and she might have been one of those people, who take great pride of their job. She also might have been a great admirer of the Royal family, making the whole incident even more difficult to bare.
I know it is just an speculation from my part, but I do find it plausible.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 01:47 PM   #139
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Here it's absolutely illegal to gain private patient information by claiming you are another person.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:02 PM   #140
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Here it's absolutely illegal to gain private patient information by claiming you are another person.
And that's one of the cruxes of the matter. It wasn't private information, due to press releases and the like, this information was already in a the public domain.

Old December 8 2012, 02:07 PM   #141
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
And that's one of the cruxes of the matter. It wasn't private information, due to press releases and the like, this information was already in a the public domain.
The state of a patient is always private.

Don't start and defend that sick "celebrities are public domain" stalking bullshit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:15 PM   #142
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

The state of a patient is always private.
What a load of bollocks. If St James Palace wanted The Duchess of Cambridges status to remain private, they shouldn't have released a press release explaining why she was in hospital, how she was doing and other information normally kept private for us lesser beings. I'm sorry, but this thread, created by an American living in Russia even discussed some of those things. Does that mean in your eyes this thread, the discussions going on all across the planet about her condition is illegal too?

Yes it's pretty unfortunate this nurse felt she had to take her own life, but it's far from the radio broadcasters fault that she did. Any other "celeb" and this would have been a non story, instead, because it's the wife to the heir to the British thrown, it's being blown out of proportion.

Don't start and defend that sick "celebrities are public domain" stalking bullshit.
Not at all. If St. James Palace hadn't let the world know what was happening, it would have been a massive invasion of privacy. Because said press release, was, well released, there is no invasion of privacy.

Old December 8 2012, 03:02 PM   #143
Agenda
Fleet Captain

When you publicly humiliate people, there are consequences. They are now reaping those consequences. They want to shock people. Well...we are now shocked.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:27 PM   #144
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
When you publicly humiliate people, there are consequences. They are now reaping those consequences. They want to shock people. Well...we are now shocked.
And who was humiliated exactly? The nurse who may have committed suicide? The nurse she who she handed the telephone to? The Hospital involved or the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?

All that originally happened, and it seems the trial by interwebz is blowing this out of proportion was that two radio presenters thought it would be a good idea that they would ring the hospital, pretend to be the Queen and Phil the Greek and see what happened. And it worked! They had information given to them that wasn't strictly private because it was already in the public domain because of a handy press release from St. James Palace - the official residence of the Cambridge's. After the conversation, the radio presenters then handed over a recorded copy of it with their ethics board and that person or persons okayed and it was then broadcast.

Yes it's a bloody big shame that the nurse who took a phonecall at five-thirty in the morning and handed it over to someone else thinking it was the Queen and her husband may have committed suicide. But I personally find it highly unlikely that she would have committed suicide over this one thing. As I said earlier, it was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

Old December 8 2012, 03:31 PM   #145
Agenda
Fleet Captain

And who was humiliated exactly?
I stopped reading after that.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:36 PM   #146
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

And who was humiliated exactly?
I stopped reading after that.
Impressive.

I'm still struggling to think who was humiliated in all this.

I would say the radio presenters as what they thought and confirmed with their layers/ethics board it was all ok, didn't break any laws and some such and what they thought was a harmless prank back fired in quiet a large way.

Old December 8 2012, 04:22 PM   #147
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

and obviously if they say she is in the hospital and why she loses all rights to privacy over every aspect of her condition right?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:28 PM   #148
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
and obviously if they say she is in the hospital and why she loses all rights to privacy over every aspect of her condition right?
Not in the slightest. But what information the broadcasters got from the hospital was in the public domain, they didn't get anything else that wasn't in a press release. If they had in fact got information that St. James Palace hadn't released then I would have completely different opinion on what occurred.

Old December 8 2012, 04:46 PM   #149
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Not in the slightest. But what information the broadcasters got from the hospital was in the public domain, they didn't get anything else that wasn't in a press release. If they had in fact got information that St. James Palace hadn't released then I would have completely different opinion on what occurred.
that was just a happy coincidence. They could have gotten information that hadn't been released just as easily
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:59 PM   #150
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

that was just a happy coincidence. They could have gotten information that hadn't been released just as easily
But they didn't did they. They got what St James Palace released in a press release for the entire world to digest and it seem comment on. If the lawyer/ethics board knew that they had more information than was in the public domain, they would have pulled the piece and not broadcast, but because they found out what the rest of the Worlds major news agencies knew, it was save to broadcast.

You and others it seems are going by what ifs and could have beens.

Yes it's unfortunate that this nurse decided to end her life, maybe the fact she did it a day after she answered the phone at five-thirty in the morning is just as happy a coincidence, yes it may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but I find it hard to believe that this sole event caused her to allegedly kill herself.

My original point and I'll stand by this. The radio broadcasters do not deserve to be fired, nor sued as was suggested. Yes it was a questionable act, but it seems the ethics board/lawyer at 2Dayfm signed off on the phone call, it didn't breach any laws, here nor in Australia. All in all, in my opinion, no one did anything wrong here. If it was any other "celeb" say Victoria Beckham, I'm sure there would be some grumblings about press invasion from certain aspects of the news media, but not to the extent that's happened here and the majority of opinion would be, meh.

These types of phone calls have happened, I'm sure Tony Blair or Gordon Brown were at the receiving end of one years ago and there certainly wasn't the righteousness over it that has occurred here.