Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 5 2012, 08:59 PM   #256
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: First Poster

Someone make a Star Trekin' to Darkness poster.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:00 PM   #257
serenitytrek1
Commander

In all honesty, I wish they will release a new poster soon, maybe with chirs and zach. there has been too many backlash about the poster looking like The Dark Knight's poster.

I dont know what is the big deal...the dark knight is not a godlike movie.I wish people would stop worshiping it and calling anything that resembles it a copycat.

the dark knight fan boys are even accusing Iron Man 3 of copying the dark knight rises..

It would be nice to have a new poster with the main leads.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:21 PM   #258
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
In all honesty, I wish they will release a new poster soon, maybe with chirs and zach. there has been too many backlash about the poster looking like The Dark Knight's poster.

I dont know what is the big deal...the dark knight is not a godlike movie.I wish people would stop worshiping it and calling anything that resembles it a copycat.

the dark knight fan boys are even accusing Iron Man 3 of copying the dark knight rises..

It would be nice to have a new poster with the main leads.
Please don't post the same thing in multiple threads.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:12 AM   #259
SeerSGB
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
How about this? I hope MadMan doesn't mind me borrowing his Enterprise
Not at all... but, since the Enterprise is coming up out of the water, I believe that Cumberbatch has a Photon Torpedo in his future.

-Ricky
That might be one way to kill Mitchell.
See now I'm picturing the famous shot from TWoK's Nebula Battle with the Enterprise rising up behind Reliant with the launcher's primed from firing and looking very, very pissed off. You know what, that could work here.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:41 AM   #260
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Say again? It's been mostly recognized they were inspired by TDKR teaser poster. Some people don't like that it's derivative - fine. You'd have to go far to find something that isn't derivative, but that's beside the point. Point is, it doesn't constitute a backlash. Your own opinion doesn't make a trend.

Last edited by StarMan; December 6 2012 at 12:54 AM.
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:46 AM   #261
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

What backlash? There've been some critiques of the poster being influenced by or even a ripoff of the TDK poster but I'd hardly call the comments "backlash."

Most people seem to like the new poster. That's not what I'd categorize as any sort of backlash.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:45 AM   #262
M'Sharak

As far as I can tell, what backlash* there is amounts to a few people on forums at startrek.com, the official forums, Trekweb and few others saying "I don't know - it's not what I would do." As backlash goes, it's pretty benign.

On one of those forums, I just ran across a piece which, while acknowledging similarities to the poster(s) for The Dark Knight Rises, goes on to say that the Star Trek Into Darkness poster reminded them just as much of some artwork from quite a bit earlier:
article wrote:
The poster reminded us of the classic, often-imitated and -reproduced Romantic painting "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" ["Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer"] by Caspar David Friedrich. Painted in 1818, it is often interpreted as a metaphor for introspection or stepping into an unknown future, both of which seem like appropriate themes for the frequently philosophical Sci-Fi series.
[bracketed bit and link added by me]
See also mention of a similar pose struck by Cumberbatch during a Sherlock episode from early 2012. (I think this one may already have been brought up here in one thread or another.)

And then there's this article, which addresses the topic of poster artwork similarity more generally.

* Precisely how many backlash is too many? (Or should that properly be "how many backlash are... "; grammar weenies, what say you?) How does one quantify backlash, anyway?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old December 6 2012, 02:04 AM   #263
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

But what about to the backlash to the backlash?

I like the poster even more because of the the backlash against it. The "backlash", while utterly insignificant, is nevertheless so very entertaining, as irrational nerd-rage almost always is.

Here's hoping that the next poster is even more derivative of yet another popular movie poster.
Old December 6 2012, 03:42 AM   #264
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I want more backlash. I want the internet to detonate.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:01 AM   #265
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

That's easy. Spread the rumor that Cumberbatch is Future Guy from Enterprise.

The Interwebs will go up like the Death Star and it'll be glorious.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:03 AM   #266
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

No one but us knows anything about Enterprise.

Though that is seriously the best ever idea. AND since ENT is the only series undetonated by JJ it works.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:06 AM   #267
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Was there some discussion that the Enterprise would end up being underwater? If so, I hope they do a scene like this.

1920x1080: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y20...lShipRises.jpg

What do y'all think?

-Ricky
This is nice. What I like about it is that it has more of an original feeling (as in not copying something that just was in theaters a few months ago and just came out on DVD now).

Thanks.

As promised, here is a link to the full size version, from my website...

http://madshipyard.com/images/Wallpa...lShipRises.jpg

And, a Poster!

Full Size: http://madshipyard.com/images/Wallpa...er_Poster2.jpg

Can't wait for the real thing.

-Ricky
This is nice too.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
yea I was bored.
Is that some kind of starship falling? It definitely adds to the feeling of destruction.

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
How about this? I hope MadMan doesn't mind me borrowing his Enterprise

This was a nice combination of photos. I like the darkened one the most.

Malaika wrote: View Post
Thanks.

As promised, here is a link to the full size version, from my website...

http://madshipyard.com/images/Wallpa...lShipRises.jpg

And, a Poster!

Full Size: http://madshipyard.com/images/Wallpa...er_Poster2.jpg

Can't wait for the real thing.

-Ricky
impressive

though, now it seems a poster about LOST the movie
(and that made me remember that Damon Lindelof participated in the writing of the script too... oh dear God... let's hope that the trilogy doesn't end with everyone dying and then meeting in a catholic church in paradise/purgatory where Kirk's father is the priest that will help them walking "in the light" )
Lol. Well, now that you mention it, I can see where you get the LOST impression, but at least the ship is intact and no island (that we can see). It's a nice poster.

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
As we're in fan poster mode: 2012 take on the classic WOK poster (unless he's Mitchell )

That could have been a tagline for the last movie: "At the end of the universe lies the beginning of vengeance." It would have fit nicely with Nero's story.

StarMan wrote: View Post
Say again? It's been mostly recognized they were inspired by TDKR teaser poster. Some people don't like that it's derivative - fine. You'd have to go far to find something that isn't derivative, but that's beside the point. Point is, it doesn't constitute a backlash. Your own opinion doesn't make a trend.
I don't know if we can call it backlash, but it had mixed results in revving people up. Some people are more excited, and some people are less excited because the idea seems so derivative of something that just came out. It's still a nice poster, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:08 AM   #268
Kaziarl
Commodore

How about this, Cumberbatch is Anikin Skywalker's father and is using the force to destroy the Federation. And at the end of the movie, he falls through a rift to a place long long ago, in a galaxy far far away where he sire's Anikin, who's descendants eventually evolve into the Q, one of which decides to pick on a balding old man on a spaceship?

(don't mind me, just throwing random things together.)
Old December 6 2012, 04:34 AM   #269
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I thought Cumberbatch was playing Finnegan. Man was I off base.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:48 AM   #270
M'Sharak

Worfzia Bells wrote: View Post
Is that some kind of starship falling? It definitely adds to the feeling of destruction.
Click (see second row, right)