Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 28 2014, 11:51 AM   #76
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: Urban Fantasy: Vampire and Witches and Weres, oh my!

I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread till today. I've been reading many urban fantasy series over the past three years and these have been my favorites:

1. Any novels by Richelle Mead (Georgina Kincaid series, Vampire Academy series, Bloodlines series, Dark Swan series)
2. Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series
3. Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series
4. Ilona Andrew's The Edge series
5. Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series (I've only read the prequel and book 1. Currently reading book 2, so far its been good)

Last edited by intrinsical; May 28 2014 at 12:07 PM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 11:21 PM   #77
Technobuilder
Commodore

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I was busy for half the day yesterday, only got started around 3 and a headache with some visual disturbances came on after about an hour but I kept reading until around 5 and had to give up until bedtime and read another chapter before going to sleep. Otherwise I'd have probably finished it in one sitting.

With how long this took to come out I'm beginning to worry I may never see the series through, but I'm looking forward to more of his work.
I always try to pace myself when reading a new 'Dresden' but I can only savor it so long. I stretched this one from Early Tuesday Morning thru about an hour ago Wednesday Afternoon.

Skin Game was awesome! Best one yet from my perspective. Slightly nudging Dead Beat down into the #2 spot. He's closing in on the finale at this point but it's going to be 8 more years (MINIMUM) and that's if he stops at 20 casebooks and starts the B.A.T.

All I can say is, Bring on Dresden #16: PEACE TALKS (Can't wait)
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 06:36 AM   #78
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Oh, has that been announced as the title? Any tentative dates? I noticed Amazon list Cinder Spire 1 as an August release.
Old May 29 2014, 07:24 AM   #79
Skywalker
Admiral

Oh, has that been announced as the title? Any tentative dates? I noticed Amazon list Cinder Spire 1 as an August release.
Butcher said on his recent Reddit AMA that it would be the title, but I haven't seen an "official" announcement yet.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 07:12 AM   #80
JD
Admiral

Anyone here read the Syrena Legacy books? I picked up the first one today cheap for my Kindle app. I've been curious to check out some modern mermaid stories, and this ones seems pretty well liked. I read the Kindle sample a few months back, and I enjoyed it.
Old June 1 2014, 07:40 AM   #81
Technobuilder
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Butcher said on his recent Reddit AMA that it would be the title, but I haven't seen an "official" announcement yet.
It's about as "Official" as these things go. Jim's been using the "PEACE TALKS" title for Book #16 during the current Book Tour.

FYI the current title for Book #17 is MIRROR MIRROR (Which should hold firm as long as the story doesn't swap position in the current order which has happened a few times so far.)
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"

Last edited by Technobuilder; June 2 2014 at 02:36 AM.
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 10:51 PM   #82
JD
Admiral

In A Fist a Fist Full of Charms, I very glad that Rachel and Jenks started talking again fairly early in the book. I was afraid that was going to be dragged out forever. Jenks is one of my favorite character in the series, and I was afraid he wasn't going to be in the book much.
Old June 18 2014, 04:20 AM   #83
JD
Admiral

Does anyone know of any Urban Fantasy other than The Iron Druid Chronicles that takes place in the western US? All I could find on Goodreads was at least some of the first Dorina Basab book (NYC, San Fransisco, and Vegas), and at least the first Georgina Kinkade book (Seattle). I was mainly interested in California.
Old June 18 2014, 08:55 AM   #84
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Now that you've mentioned it, I suddenly realize most of the urban fantasy I've read are situated in eastern USA. I'm hard pressed trying to remember any that are located in western USA. In fact, I only remember one series that's based in California.

While Richelle Mead's Vampire Series was largely set in Montana, Portland and Siberia, the followup series Bloodlines is situated in California and an occasional trip to Vegas. The reason being vampires hate sunlight, which makes California the perfect location to hide a vampire princess who many powerful factions want to kill.

Last edited by intrinsical; June 18 2014 at 09:06 AM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 12:27 AM   #85
JD
Admiral

Yeah, it's weird.
I can't remember if I've mentioned it here, but I'm actually working on my own Urban Fantasy story, and it was originally going to be in NYC, but after seeing how little UF takes place west of the Mississipi, I'm tempted to move it to LA instead.
Old June 19 2014, 06:43 AM   #86
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

My guess is its a subconscious effort by authors to distance themselves from the two major genre-defining series that were both located in California, Buffy and Angel.
Old June 19 2014, 11:02 AM   #87
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

There's the Sandman Slim books.
Old July 14 2014, 01:58 AM   #88
JD
Admiral

I spent a couple hours reading Magic Bleeds earlier today, and in those 40ish pages there were some huge developments for the series. I can't wait to see where this one goes.
EDIT:

Last edited by JD; July 14 2014 at 04:25 AM.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 01:29 AM   #89
JD
Admiral

I finished Magic Bleeds last night.
My review:
Goodreads wrote:
Wow, this is a great book. I've been a big fan of this series since the first book, and there were several things that have been building throughout the previous entries that saw some major developments here. Luckily these have been things that I have enjoyed, so these developments made me very happy. I can't wait to see where things go from here.
Rating: 5\5
Old July 16 2014, 01:39 AM   #90
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
It's about as "Official" as these things go. Jim's been using the "PEACE TALKS" title for Book #16 during the current Book Tour.

FYI the current title for Book #17 is MIRROR MIRROR (Which should hold firm as long as the story doesn't swap position in the current order which has happened a few times so far.)
Incidentally, we know more about Mirror Mirror than we do about Peace Talks. All we know about Peace Talks is that it's going to have the White Council, and Ivy, and more supernatural violence than any previous book. And presumably some sort of talks.

Mirror Mirror, on the other hand, we know its caused by Mirrorverse Harry summoning Prime Harry in order to kill him to as part of a faking his own death scheme. And he bit off more than he could chew by grabbing the freaking Winter Knight instead of some other more vulnerable alt.

We also know that the two Harrys diverged at the end of Grave Peril. Presumably, Mirror Harry let Bianca take Susan to prevent the war. And that led to a whole lot of bad choices.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote