Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 28 2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

THE GIVER movie being made. Jeff Bridges to star?

Jeff Bridges appears to have machinations on adapting the 1993 young adult science fiction novel The Giver. Variety reports that Bridges and producer Nikki Silver have purchased the rights to the Lois Lowry story and that Bridges may step in to play the title character.

Set in a distant future, the book tells of a society in which the entire range of human emotion has been eradicated by removing any trace of history. Only one individual in the society -- called "the Giver" -- is tasked with remembering the past in case it becomes necessary to make use of it. A twelve year-old boy, Jonas, is tasked to become the next Giver in line and has his whole world thrown into question when he begins tutelage with the previous, elderly Giver.

"I originally thought of the role of the Giver as a vehicle for my father, the late Lloyd Bridges," says the True Grit actor, who has been eyeing the project for some time, "however, at 61 years old I feel the time is right for me to do it."
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79057

I loved the book and I think Bridge is awesome, so this is good news to me. I wonder if they will do the entire trilogy if this movie does well?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

Re: THE GIVER movie being made. Jeff Bridges to star?

I agree that this is a great book and I do love Jeff Bridges, but this all depends on the script. I think a lot of screenwriters have difficulty adapting scifi books. Its also a young adult book which can be difficult as well. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to it.
Old June 28 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
CaptainCanada
Admiral

A great book (though I think Lowry's Number the Stars is better; anyone who can make "the Holocaust: for kids!" work deserves high praise).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 05:25 PM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Giver is one of those books that I never read, despite every other person my age reading it. If this movie gets made, I'll probably find an excuse to finally pick it up.
Old June 28 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
seCrawler
Lieutenant Junior Grade

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The Giver is one of those books that I never read, despite every other person my age reading it. If this movie gets made, I'll probably find an excuse to finally pick it up.
i read this book about a year ago && i loved it. pick it up.
seCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 08:39 PM   #6
D Man
Commodore

It's by far my favorite book from my childhood, and still holds up as a great re-read as an adult, too. It seems well-suited to a cinematic adaptation too. Looking forward to following this!
Old June 28 2011, 08:48 PM   #7
that1guy
Commander

Send a message via AIM to that1guy Send a message via Yahoo to that1guy

I heard about this earlier today. The Giver was a great book that I think will make a really good movie. I'm curious how they're going to handle

As for making a trilogy of it, I doubt they will make the other two. Honestly, The Giver is only loosely connected to other two books. Gathering Blue is good, but it's from a completely different person's perspective in a different part of the world. And the third book, while there are loose references to Jonas, it's never explicitly said that the he and the elder dude (I forget his name) are the same person.

TL;DR - I think Jeff Bridges is a dead ringer for The Giver and I look forward to see thing movie. I doubt it will be a trilogy. Also, I'm curious who they will cast as Jonas.
that1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 10:38 PM   #8
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

that1guy wrote: View Post
I heard about this earlier today. The Giver was a great book that I think will make a really good movie. I'm curious how they're going to handle
I'm not sure that this needs to be in a spoiler tag, since it is such a big part of the story (it would be like spoiling Tron by saying that much of it takes place inside a computer) but just so that there are no complaints:

Old June 28 2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Worked for Pleasantville, didn't it?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
David cgc
Vice Admiral

That's actually the only drawback I can see; that people might think it's a rip-off.

But in any event, they can do something similar with the score, with music starting to come in when Jonas begins to reach that point in his development. Hell, it could affect all aspects of cinematography. It's be a fun thing to direct, if you were going to go deep into reflecting the main character arc. Lighting might be complicated to. As I recall, the sun was conspicuous by its absence...
Old June 28 2011, 11:09 PM   #11
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I loved The Giver. I hope the film adaptation does the book justice. Jeff Bridges is a terrific choice for the role.
Old June 29 2011, 03:58 AM   #12
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

I had the same thoughts about the use of black and white vs colour when I read the book. But forget about that part, they also live in a world where no one can hear music. But somehow, I doubt they'll go soundtrack-less until the end. It'd be daring, but perhaps create a bit too heavy of a mood.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2011, 01:41 AM   #13
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Great book. If the adaptation is good, I'd definitely see it.
Old June 30 2011, 02:38 AM   #14
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I think I was required to read "the Giver" twice in school.

The ending might be a bit of "What do you really think happened?" sort of deal.
Old June 30 2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I think I was required to read "the Giver" twice in school.

The ending might be a bit of "What do you really think happened?" sort of deal.
No no it's not. The author herself and the subsequent sequels have all but said that they survive.