Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 30 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
FreddyE
Commander

blue ray - further extended cuts?

I´m really looking forward to the extended cut of Measure of a Man. That got me thinking, do we know of any other episodes that had significantly more material filmed (meaning more then just 2 or 3 minutes) then was used?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Shades of Grey had over 30 hours of footage that was cut back.
Old November 30 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

MikeS wrote: View Post
Shades of Grey had over 30 hours of footage that was cut back.
*snortle.*

You win.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Interviews accompanying the episodes last night said that the only reason the extended cut of MoaM exists is b/c an unfinished and unofficial copy was snuck out to Melinda Snodgrass and she happened to hang on to it. If not for that, the scenes would have been lost. That makes me think that, as a rule, cut scenes weren't saved so we'll need another situation where a crew member randomly happens to have saved a rough cut for some reason. Seems fairly unlikely to happen more than maybe one or two times.
Old November 30 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
MikeS
Fleet Captain

The extended episode is being shown in HD (not just upscaled from VHS). Therefore the scenes that were originally cut from the episode must have existed seperately of Melinda's tape.

The tape has provided instructions for putting the ingredients together, but all the ingredients (including cuts/bloopers etc) are stored in that mountain ready to be "HD'd".
Old November 30 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Ro_Laren
Commodore

^ What tape? Measure of a Man had a deleted scene?
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:56 PM   #7
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
It had several deleted and/or extended scenes that were restored to the episode. The tape was used as a reference on how to cut in the original content to fit with both the writer and director's artistic intent.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

12 minutes worth
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
12 minutes worth
The re-inserted cuts were fantastic, and yes, they did find the film elements to make them HD.
Old December 3 2012, 08:38 AM   #10
FreddyE
Commander

If they found those film elements, isn´t it pretty save to assume that they stored the elements of ALL cut scenes? I mean..why would you store the cut scenes of specifically one episode, but none of any other episodes?

I just remembered...there seems to be at least one cut scene from that episode with those frozen fish aliens. Apperantly them waking up was a longer sequence than what we got to see.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

They stored everything they filmed on a days shooting, as everything they shot was converted to vhs quality intermediate for editing the show way back when, so everything they shot exists in 35mm film, assuming any reels haven't been lost in the 20 years since (which according to the CBS team doing the remaster, is the case but only in a few shots out of the tens of thousands they're dealing with).

I think that the pace of the show as it was, most of what they filmed they used unless it was an outtake. They should have had the experience to only shoot what they needed the longer the show went on.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 09:48 PM   #12
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

FreddyE wrote: View Post
If they found those film elements, isn´t it pretty save to assume that they stored the elements of ALL cut scenes? I mean..why would you store the cut scenes of specifically one episode, but none of any other episodes?

I just remembered...there seems to be at least one cut scene from that episode with those frozen fish aliens. Apperantly them waking up was a longer sequence than what we got to see.
They likely have all of the deleted scenes/cuts they need to make re-assembling the episodes more of a chore. But the key with MoaM is that they had Snodgrass' "bootleg" tape of the episode assembled BEFORE those cuts were made. This would provide them a reference point from which to put together the episode. If they were to make "extended cuts" of other episodes they'd either need a tape of the extended episode to know how to recreate it or some other way to know how to reassemble the episode, from scratch. That or it'd be a lot more work to make extended episodes.
Old December 3 2012, 09:57 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FreddyE wrote: View Post

They likely have all of the deleted scenes/cuts they need to make re-assembling the episodes more of a chore. But the key with MoaM is that they had Snodgrass' "bootleg" tape of the episode assembled BEFORE those cuts were made. This would provide them a reference point from which to put together the episode. If they were to make "extended cuts" of other episodes they'd either need a tape of the extended episode to know how to recreate it or some other way to know how to reassemble the episode, from scratch. That or it'd be a lot more work to make extended episodes.
Do the original shooting scripts still exist?
Old December 3 2012, 11:24 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

CBS should have access to them. Many original shooting scripts are also available in the Ronald D. Moore papers at USC.

Are these shooting scripts? (http://antoa.com/tng/)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Dac wrote: View Post
They stored everything they filmed on a days shooting, as everything they shot was converted to vhs quality intermediate for editing the show way back when, so everything they shot exists in 35mm film, assuming any reels haven't been lost in the 20 years since (which according to the CBS team doing the remaster, is the case but only in a few shots out of the tens of thousands they're dealing with).

I think that the pace of the show as it was, most of what they filmed they used unless it was an outtake. They should have had the experience to only shoot what they needed the longer the show went on.
Most, if not all, TV shows and movies film more than what they need. In editing the director and editor cut out what they think detracts from the story, and keep cutting till they have enough for the time slot. Having 12 minutes of extra footage is not uncommon. Having 12 minutes that actually add to what is already a good episode is uncommon.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote