Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 11 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Are the Andromeda books consistent with the series?

I mean the Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo. Which ones are worth a try? Any Andromeda comic books?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: Are the Andromeda books consistent with the series?

Andromeda: Destruction of Illusions by Keith R.A. DeCandido is excellent. It's a prequel set before the series pilot. It's probably better than even the best episodes of Andromeda.
Old December 11 2012, 05:56 PM   #3
John Clark
Commodore

I enjoyed Destruction of Illusions too.

As for the others, I think I've read all of them, but don't remember most of them.

I do remember The Broken Places by Ethlie Ann Vare and Waystation by Steven Macdonald. I didn't think those were as good as Destruction but both the latter took part during the series (before season 5).
Old December 11 2012, 08:58 PM   #4
ATimson
Rear Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post
I do remember The Broken Places by Ethlie Ann Vare and Waystation by Steven Macdonald. I didn't think those were as good as Destruction but both the latter took part during the series (before season 5).
Despite The Broken Places being written by a staff writer from the show, I don't think it was terribly consistent with the first season-and-a-half.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Andromeda: Destruction of Illusions by Keith R.A. DeCandido is excellent. It's a prequel set before the series pilot. It's probably better than even the best episodes of Andromeda.
I assume there no major continuity errors either?
Old December 11 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I assume there no major continuity errors either?
I don't recall any whatsoever.
Old December 11 2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I don't recall any whatsoever.
Nor I - at least with the first two seasons (all that I've watched).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old December 11 2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

I can vouch for the consistency of Destruction of Illusions with the show as it stood in the first couple of seasons, since I was Keith's continuity-checker on that book (and it was the first book that ever mentioned me in the acknowledgments!). Also, Keith consulted with Andromeda story editor Ashley Edward Miller for continuity help. I'd say it fits quite well continuity-wise, at least up to the point when the show changed producers and started violating its own continuity.

The only other DROM novel I've read is The Broken Places. I'm aware that it deliberately ignored some of the changes that happened in the second season (like Trance losing her tail), but otherwise I felt it was a pretty good interpretation of the show's universe, at least from what I recall of it. I'm not sure what continuity problems ATimson is thinking of, but I don't remember many details of the book, and it's been years since I've seen the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 03:37 AM   #9
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The only other DROM novel I've read is The Broken Places. I'm aware that it deliberately ignored some of the changes that happened in the second season (like Trance losing her tail), but otherwise I felt it was a pretty good interpretation of the show's universe, at least from what I recall of it. I'm not sure what continuity problems ATimson is thinking of, but I don't remember many details of the book, and it's been years since I've seen the show.
Everything could fall into the category of "deliberately ignored changes", admittedly. It takes place during what should be season three (explicitly said to be CY 10089, and two years after "The Ties that Blind"), but Rev Bem is still around and Trance is still purple with a tail. I believe the Commonwealth hasn't actually been restored yet. And "In Heaven Now Are Three" is ignored in favor of telling its own tale of the Engine of Creation.

Old December 12 2012, 04:52 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

ATimson wrote: View Post
Everything could fall into the category of "deliberately ignored changes", admittedly. It takes place during what should be season three (explicitly said to be CY 10089, and two years after "The Ties that Blind"), but Rev Bem is still around and Trance is still purple with a tail. I believe the Commonwealth hasn't actually been restored yet. And "In Heaven Now Are Three" is ignored in favor of telling its own tale of the Engine of Creation.
^Well, yes -- basically The Broken Places is former writing staffer Ethlie Ann Vare telling the story arc of the Engine of Creation that she and the other producers intended to tell on the show. So it's set in the version of the third season that would have existed if the original plans had played out -- if Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ethlie had stayed on the staff, if Brent Stait hadn't had to leave due to makeup allergies, if the execs hadn't disliked Trance's original version and demanded a change, and if the show's FX budget and talent had been up to making her tail work.

So I consider TBP to be authentic to the real Andromeda rather than the corrupted version that the show ended up becoming. Or at least it's a glimpse into what was originally intended for the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

It's owrite with me, i only watched S 01 and about half of SO2.