Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade & Discuss S3E5 "Magic Duel"
A 14 87.50%
B 0 0%
C 0 0%
D 1 6.25%
F 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 1 2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: MLP:FiM S3 Episode 5 - "Magic Duel"

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Derpy?

And Zecora is Yoda!
Derpy? Where?

And they seem to be using the original intent for Zecora, that she'd be a local mentor for Twilight. That's kinda nice. And the refraction in the water balls duringthe training sequence -- that's some nice animation.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Corrupt the user? really? how can it corrupt a completely moralless soul anyway?
And why would an amulet based on our beloved princesses be evil, anyway?
Old December 1 2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I think it's because, even at her worst without the amulet, there was a possibility that Trixie could eventually see the error of her ways. With the Alicorn Amulet, however, the very worst of her personality came to fruition.
ETA to Gep: I like Zecora as a Yoda figure.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Oh, hey, rule 63 Applejack.
Old December 1 2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Big Applejack! I love it!

ETA: I'm glad to be able to watch with you guys!
Old December 1 2012, 05:02 PM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yeah the R63 thing was....weird.

Well we know those horses are the Saddle Arabian ponies now.

The amulet wouldn't be needed by Alicorns as they already have that power. So whoever made it was obviously not one, or maybe a cult worked to death to imbue the amulet with the power of many unicorns, it's red glow is all too similar to Sombra to ignore.

He was just a unicorn, what are the odds he sacrificed crystal ponies to make it, only to lose it when he was defeated? his spirit if not destroyed in the premiere could be out to get it.
Old December 1 2012, 05:05 PM   #21
DarkHorizon
Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Derpy?

And Zecora is Yoda!
Derpy? Where?
One of the pegasi hanging the banners up in the town hall looked an awful lot like her - althought it might have been Cloud Kicker, looking at the wiki.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Corrupt the user? really? how can it corrupt a completely moralless soul anyway?
Trixie wasn't moralless, just boastful and conceited. The clear indication here was that using the amulet leads the user to become tyrranical and entirely heartless.

That, along with the name, suggests it could be a relic from the war with Nightmare Moon...

EDIT: Right, time to have Xyro's stream in the background whilst LPS is on at HaxMega!
Old December 1 2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Edit @ Chem: Ooooh, I like that idea. Sounds rather like the FMA idea to use 99 human souls to make a Philosopher's Stone!
Old December 1 2012, 05:09 PM   #23
DarkHorizon
Captain

The end was a bit odd - I sort of expected the duel to be in front of Celestia and the Saddle Arabian ponies, which is what I thought based on the promo. Still, Twi found a very clever way to get the amulet off Trixie, and everyone worked together to get it right. Best episode of the season so far, I think. Plus: Fourth wall breaking by Pinkie and Twi!
Old December 1 2012, 05:15 PM   #24
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Yup. Best episode of the season by far. Proof positive that fanservice can be a good thing!

I think the Saddle Arabia thing was mainly to explain why Twi couldn't go to the Princesses for help. Would have been nice if it tied into the story more, but eh. Nothing's perfect.

It's too bad there's no Derpy cameos any more, because I thought of a good use for her: when Trixie was being cruel to the mane 6 in the beginning, she could have zapped Derpy and straightened her eyes out. Monstrous!
Old December 1 2012, 05:20 PM   #25
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Yeah that was some oversight, Luna and Cadance should still be around. Luna has missed out on 1000 years of magic and Cadance being mortal may have far less experience so maybe that's why.

But the 'pony playing 10 instruments' is where me and everyone in chat caught on it was an act, Pinkie already did that.
Old December 1 2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Great episode with a lot of content stuffed into it - I think it could have also been made into a great two-parter. I loved the involvement of Zecora for a change and her Yoda-like instructions. Fluttershy was great in this episode, too. It was nice to see her being supported so strongly by her animal friends.
I'd like to see more of Saddle Arabia and I also think that the amulett might make a second appearance in the season finale.
Some great animation in this one - the reflection in the water was already mentioned, I liked the scene at the end with Twilight and Pinkie and there were also lots of great ponyfaces.

I do think a lot of ponies must be pretty traumatised by Trixie's cruel magic tricks.
Old December 1 2012, 08:58 PM   #27
smiki
Captain

I really loved the episode, best one this season. Easy A. Tons of good stuff in it. Funny magic, reestablishing pony lore (s1 reappearances), great pony faces/expressions, Fluttershy was great, all the mane 6 in it, Zecora as Yoda, nice pace, generally felt like a season one episode for some reason, I also liked the line: "That's not magic, that's just Pinkie" and the fourth wall breach at end, etc...

I liked Trixie as the villain in the episode. Half of her behavior was her personality half was the "evil" amulet. Which wasn't evil in itself IMO but was more along the lines of "power corrupts", particularly that things can go messy, and that power corrupts especially when it's beyond one's own abilities (as was in this case) not just one's moral standing.

That's why she was forgiven (although not completely like: "aww, we forgive you, group hug", but more like: "hmm, we'll give you a second chance, don't mess it up"), without the amulet she wouldn't have been this big evil mean meany, but just the petty and boastful fraud meany. As far as the apology at the end, I think it was true to her character because it wasn't really an apology, even within it she stayed petty and boastful still trying to be the best at something, being the most humble... Oh wait, paradox...

I did predict Twilight's and Zecora's deception idea as soon as the second duel started but it was executed really nicely and a great idea involving "the power of friendship", so...

Awesome episode.
smiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:05 PM   #28
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^And Zecora quoted Yoda! That means she'll be around a thousand years. YAY!

And Trixie wouldn't be Trixie without the arrogance. Also... did she work for Pinkie's dad?!
Old December 1 2012, 11:46 PM   #29
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Loved it. It's an easy A for me as well.

*Trixie Returns
*Rule 63
*Snips and Snails comment about preferring Trixie when she was a fraud (that had me rolling).
*Twilight standing on water, levitating water spheres while Zecora balanced on a staff. Come ON that was awesome!
*Fluttershy. All of her appearances this episode were awesome.
*Breaking the 4th wall at the very end. Epic!

Also, "Saddle Arabia"!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral