Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
the G-man
Commodore

Woman shot following Walking Dead argument

Cops: Man shoots girlfriend over 'Walking Dead' argument
  • A Williston Park man who police said shot his girlfriend in the back with a rifle Monday after a heated argument over the television show "The Walking Dead" told authorities he was annoyed that she came to his apartment to smooth things over.

In a statement to police, Jared M. Gurman, 26, said he told his girlfriend, Jessica Gelderman, 27, also of Williston Park, to leave.

Gurman and Gelderman, who had been dating for 3 1/2 years, went out Sunday night when they began arguing about the show, an AMC thriller featuring zombies in a post-apocalyptic world, [Nassau Det. Lt. Raymond Cote] said.

"I just know that he felt very adamant that there could be some type of military mishap that would result in some sort of virus or something being released that could cause terrible things to happen," Cote said.

Gelderman, Cote said, thought her boyfriend's belief was absurd.

"She felt that it was ridiculous," Cote said.

Later, the two continued arguing through text messages, Cote said. Gelderman became concerned because Gurman had become so agitated, police said, and went to his apartment to try and calm him down.

When Gelderman showed up, Gurman told police he was sitting on the stairs holding his rifle.

"She tried to defuse the situation and calm him down and told him, 'Let's just go to bed,'" Cote said.

Gurman pointed the rifle and fired one round into the middle of Gelderman's back as she climbed the stairs, police said.

The most unbelievable part of this whole story is that this guy had a girlfriend to begin with...
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Trekker82
Lieutenant

Re: Woman shot following Walking Dead argument

Personally, I am a pro-gun person but when I read stories like this, it makes me want to side with the anti-gun people for a moment. However if guns were outlawed this story would be the same with the only difference in choice of weapon.

I take it the woman survived?
Old December 5 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Caligula
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
The most unbelievable part of this whole story is that this guy had a girlfriend to begin with...
Indeed, that IS a mystery. Whatever happened to "It's just a TV show?"
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
Apparently you missed some of the "knock down drag out arguments," in the Star Trek X thread about blue warp nacells?

Oh and lets not forget B5 v. DS9 and of course does Enterprise suck or not?

But seriously, I agree - it's incomprehensible that anyone could get so upset over a TV show as to shoot someone, especially a girl friend.

I bet if we knew more background on this man he's had prior domestic abuse problems.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

americans might have a right to guns, but the founding fathers didn't put the right to ammunition in the constitution.

a simple solution emerges. would never happen though.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Ryan8bit
Commodore

This is one of those situations where it has to be a lot deeper than just a TV show. That a journalist tries to pick something sensational for people to latch onto is nothing new.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
Apparently you missed some of the "knock down drag out arguments," in the Star Trek X thread about blue warp nacells?

Or arguments over a "0" on a fantasy space ship
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Caligula
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I bet if we knew more background on this man he's had prior domestic abuse problems.
I'd say so. I'd also go further by saying he's probably never had someone to show him how it feels, like Ed did when Shane beat the hell out of him.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
This is one of those situations where it has to be a lot deeper than just a TV show. That a journalist tries to pick something sensational for people to latch onto is nothing new.
Yep. 15 million + fans who gobble up any news related to the series. It earned itself a spot on drudge and other news sites because they slapped on the title, "Walking Dead," to the leader of the story.
Old December 5 2012, 07:11 PM   #10
the G-man
Commodore

Merry Farrell wrote: View Post
americans might have a right to guns, but the founding fathers didn't put the right to ammunition in the constitution.

a simple solution emerges...
That legal argument is barely worth the graemlin.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

What did this have to do with the show again? Aside from just being the catalyst (only one of many, I'm sure) that got a fucked up gun nut to go ranting about the government?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

G-man. yeah its not a good arguement, but the statistics for gun related crimes of usa v other countries show that americans can't be trusted with guns.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old December 5 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

G-man. yeah its not a good arguement, but the statistics for gun related crimes of usa v other countries show that americans can't be trusted with guns.
Oh really. Columbia, El Salvador, Jamaica, Honduras, Guatemala, Swaziland, Brazil, Panama and Mexico all exceed our gun violence.

Wiki
Old December 5 2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Getting rid of legal guns will mean only the Criminals will have guns. In an Eastern State, they recently passed a Conceal carry law, and Gun crimes have dropped way down. And before you get the wrong impression, I don't like guns, and will not allow in my house, but, blaming guns for violence that people do isn't rational. Truth be told, if someone's gonna murder me, I'd rather be shot throgh the head or heart, than beaten with a baseball bat or knifed 10 or 20 times. At least the gun shot would kill ya pretty quick, I can't imagine the horror and torture of being beaten to death with a baseball bat

I Can't believe anyone can actually believe this happened because of guns being legal. If he didn't have a gun, you really think this freak wouldn't have used a knife, a baseball bat or other weapon?

This guy was disturbed, either insane a meth head or an abusive alcoholic.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

i think getting rid of guns would have to help. i mean it must take a bit more effort to go up to someone and physically attack them with the chance they could defend themselves, grapple your weapon off you, etc compared to pulling a trigger.

i know if someones determined to kill they still will, but there'd be a lot less innocent victims with driveby knifings or self-inflicted woundings from forgetting the safety on your baseball bat.

and i hadnt seen stats for those other countries, just v responsible european ones. so oops i concede that point.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!