Going to my first audtion (play) next week, and words of advice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Aldo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

This spring my school is putting on a production of an original play: a love story about the poet John Keats and his love Fanny Brawne.

This is my first ever audition, I've picked up the sides today, looked over them, they don't appear to bad. The audition is a closed reading, but since all pages have Keats interacting with Fanny, I'm assuming it will be a two person audition.

A coworker of mine has promised to do some line readings with me this weekend, but until then, I was just curious about anyone who's had experience doing this, what kind of advice could you offer?

2. RapidNadion

RapidNadion Commander Red Shirt

The general stuff bears mention: Be as prepared as you possibly can. Bold choices are more likely to get you remembered. Make sure you show the auditors "the real you" before you slip into character to do the scene; they usually want to know how easy you'll be to work with almost as much as they want to know whether you can play the character.

Most of all -and forgive the cliché- have fun with it. The energy that comes from an actor who's enjoying playing a scene, no matter what kind of scene it is, is infectious and it's a part of what makes theatre great, and distinct from screen work.

Lastly, if you find yourself with a case of the nerves before going in, remember that the auditors aren't there to judge you; they want you to be perfect for the part just as badly as you do!

Hope that helps somewhat. Break a leg!

3. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have any experience doing plays per se, but I have auditioned for things in the past and even got selected. More recently I have been performing on the piano for other people, which is awesome and nerve wracking.

Generally

- alcohol will not make the nervousness go away
    - but it will ruin your audition
    - practice, practice, practice! Know your parts back to front. Do the audition without the script
    - be yourself. Relax! People can't see how you're feeling inside. I guess that's especially true for actors.

I hope that is some help