Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 10 2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Enterprise has Stood the Test of Time

As we approach the 15th anniversary of the Star Trek: Enterprise, I think it is important to both look back on its origins, and to reflect on the massive impact that it has had on society and modern culture.

I hope that this thread can be a sounding board for beginnings of such a discussion.

I also hope to explore the relationship between Enterprise and the post-9/11 ecology of agitation in light of George Bush’s strategy of collective perceptual management. While most readings focus on its allegory of the war on terror, I would prefer to address the audiovisual strategies by which Enterprise appeals to the viewer’s senses, mapping the emergence of a post-9/11 sensibility. My suggestion is that the show’s relationship with the post-9/11 reality rests in the power to address the audience’s feelings. To this end, I think we should look Enterprise’s aesthetics of crisis as operating as an affective vector, playing out in an informational system that invests in affective solicitation to provoke a bodily response in the audience. Given the status of television as the principal medium of post-9/11 governmental perceptual modulation, I argue that Enterprise’s relationship with the war on terror is rooted in an ability to express meaning and feeling, keeping a sensation of agitation alive throughout a four-season run. To expose the political value of the show’s aesthetics, I look not at the codes, as at the expressions and style that make up a scenario of sensorial stimulation where feeling becomes a biopolitical operator. Indeed, Enterprise's cinematographic techniques and haptic visuals, chromatic shifts and aural evocations effectively manufacture agitation, exposing a tension between the show’s status as an allegory of the contemporary world and its complicity with practices of televised affective engineering.

And as for the series' staying power, not a day goes by that a friend does not have something positive to say about Archer. "You have to check out Archer! Archer is awesome! That show is hilarious."

And let's not forget that John Billingsley was on that episode of "Ghost Whisperer."

What about all of you?

Where were you when Enterprise first aired, and how has your life been forever changed by it?
Old February 10 2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise has Stood the Test of Time

I just watched it for T'Pol.
Old February 10 2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
I just watched it for T'Pol.
Does anyone know whether the two Horta eggs she was smuggling ever hatched?
Old February 10 2014, 02:37 AM   #4
timelord1010
Captain

I enjoyed Enterprise. I felt it had a good episode to bad episode ratio of 60/40 with the 4th season having most of the good episodes.
Manny Coto did wonders for the show and the characters were being written much better at the end. I still hold out hope for a possible tv movie or short series to kind of wrap Enterprise up, maybe a Netflix or Amazon series so it wouldn't affect JJ Abrams movies.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:40 AM   #5
Lucky
Commander

I have a special place in my heart for this show. It was the only Star Trek series I was able to watch from beginning to end while it was originally airing. I remember being so excited when it was announced Scott Bakula would be playing the captain, I think I annoyed some friends at school with my constant updates about the show. It was uneven the first two years, but I still loved it, and season 3 and especially 4 were amazing.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
What about all of you?

Where were you when Enterprise first aired, and how has your life been forever changed by it?
It managed to kill my interest in televised Star Trek during its second season, a lack of desire that never returned for a long, long time. That was quite an accomplishment, as up until that time I had never missed any episodes of any other Trek series. (I was a very obsessive child.) I don't think I ever saw seasons 3 or 4 until years afterwards, when they became avaialble online.

That said, though Enterprise largely sucked, I'll admit that it had its moments. (Very few moments, but moments nonetheless.) I just started rewatching it on Netflix and there's a few gems here and there – mostly in season 4. I forgot how hard it was to find episodes from the first two seasons that I can stand watching from beginning to end.

Cogley, do you still have your old Enterprise reviews saved anywhere? I tried looking them up on the Wayback Machine but no luck.
Old February 10 2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

I like Enterprise much more than I do Star Trek: Voyager. That said, I wouldn't say it was particularly successful on a frequent enough basis to call it "good." Season two was especially boring.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 09:15 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think it hasn't stood the test of time, I think it's spent the test of time on its knees. Getting pounded by haters but GUESS WHAT it enjoyed itself so nyah nyah.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 10:16 AM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

About 1/2-2/3rds of Enterprise is still watchable today, the same as when it aired. I find only about 10-20% of TNG watchable now.

As for George Bush, paranoia, Archer's greatness and Horta eggs... shine on.
Old February 10 2014, 12:03 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say 15 years is to early to say whether or not it has stood the test of time, come back in another 35 years and we'll see if it has withstood the test of time. Also how was the worlds sensibilites different before 9-11?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; February 10 2014 at 01:40 PM.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Mach5
Rear Admiral

You know what show HASN'T stood the test of time? Voyager. Especially the early seasons.

On the other hand, ENT held up nicely.
Old February 10 2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Mutai Sho-Rin

I'm trying to decide if Barrister Cogley's missive is a hugely intellectual inquiry into both entertainment and national history or a magnificent jape. I'm not certain I'm intelligent enough to know.
Old February 10 2014, 11:31 PM   #13
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

There hasn't been enough time. It was like, yesterday.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 02:49 AM   #14
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I'm trying to decide if Barrister Cogley's missive is a hugely intellectual inquiry into both entertainment and national history or a magnificent jape. I'm not certain I'm intelligent enough to know.
After reading that impressive OP, I was wondering if April Fool's Day came early this year.

(There are so few of us who actually do love Archer.)

But hey, as long as y'all stick to talking about the show and refrain from turning this into a political screed, whatever.
Old February 11 2014, 02:58 AM   #15
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Of course ENTERPRISE has held up well ... it's the most recent!