Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 17 2014, 10:13 AM   #316
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Seriously, I´m not even quite sure, if the higher dome is in fact high enough to contain two full decks - we´d have to check first.
Looks to me as if there were sufficient space for Deck 2, which must not necessarily feature the average deck height we encountered with the studio set.
You´re using a TOS-R CGI shot as evidence? I´m shocked But I tend to agree with your assessment here - there may be enough room.

In addition, the "tower" structure might not just sit on top of the teardrop but could actually extend into it. IIRC, that's exactly what the rough Matt Jefferies cross-section schematic suggested.
I thought of that too. But that in turn would leave less space/height for the two decks of the teardrop.

... but it would also provide us with more deck height to toy around with for the remaining 9 decks in the saucer.
Placement of windows notwithstanding
Old June 17 2014, 01:29 PM   #317
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Or ARE they windows at all? OK, I won't restart that debate

I have to wonder what's under the Bridge to warrant making it so tall, and what would justify removing that "something" to reduce the height of the dome later on. A meeting room is one option, but why remove it? Even if it's no longer needed for meetings, it is still useable space.

If on the other hand, the "extra something" is support and hardware (back computer banks, reserve power supplies, dedicated Bridge life support etc) then I can easily see it shrinking in size as technology advances - what took up 3 decks in Pike's time now fits into barely more than one. Swap out the old Bridge, insert the new. Job done!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 01:52 PM   #318
Mario de Monti
Captain

I vaguely remember there was a debate there

If we assume that the briefing room we see in WNMHGB is located on this deck 2, then the "loss" of this deck is consistent with the "loss" of the briefing room post WNMHGB. So maybe when Starfleet decided to upgrade the bridge and swap the bridge module they also decided that a briefing room directly underneath the bridge wasn´t practical for some reason.

Mario
Old June 17 2014, 02:49 PM   #319
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Possibly, but does there need to be a "loss" at all? While there are some areas of the ship seen only once (Phaser Control, Dilithium Regeneration Room, Environmental Engineering, Porthole Room), they were more specific to the stories they were in, so I wouldn't expect to see them very often.

Common ship areas on the other hand like the shuttlebay observation deck or the gym were seen only once (twice if you include its role as theatre), but I wouldn't take that to mean that they were no longer present at all. The circular briefing room (which we see only used for official staff meetings in The Cage) had already become the more casual briefing "lounge" by WNMHGB. As the larger, more practical briefing rooms of the main series became available to our characters (following a minor refit, no doubt) I can see the old Briefing Lounge being used exclusively as a recreation area from then on.
Old June 17 2014, 03:06 PM   #320
Mario de Monti
Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
Possibly, but does there need to be a "loss" at all?
Yes Sorry, I couldn´t resist

While there are some areas of the ship seen only once (Phaser Control, Dilithium Regeneration Room, Environmental Engineering, Porthole Room), they were more specific to the stories they were in, so I wouldn't expect to see them very often.

Common ship areas on the other hand like the shuttlebay observation deck or the gym were seen only once (twice if you include its role as theatre), but I wouldn't take that to mean that they were no longer present at all. The circular briefing room (which we see only used for official staff meetings in The Cage) had already become the more casual briefing "lounge" by WNMHGB. As the larger, more practical briefing rooms of the main series became available to our characters (following a minor refit, no doubt) I can see the old Briefing Lounge being used exclusively as a recreation area from then on.
You´re right, it may be that we simply don´t see that particular briefing room anymore in later episodes. OTOH, the circular shape of that room calls for being located either at the center of a deck or in that circular space beneath the bridge. Agreed?
Old June 17 2014, 03:30 PM   #321
Robert Comsol
Commodore

You´re using a TOS-R CGI shot as evidence? I´m shocked
Sometimes I even amaze myself. I thought the CGI shot captured the height of the Bridge personnel somewhat accurately and was more helpful to simulate available deck heights.

Or ARE they windows at all? OK, I won't restart that debate
THANK YOU!

The circular briefing room (which we see only used for official staff meetings in The Cage) had already become the more casual briefing "lounge" by WNMHGB. As the larger, more practical briefing rooms of the main series became available to our characters (following a minor refit, no doubt) I can see the old Briefing Lounge being used exclusively as a recreation area from then on.
You´re right, it may be that we simply don´t see that particular briefing room anymore in later episodes. OTOH, the circular shape of that room calls for being located either at the center of a deck or in that circular space beneath the bridge. Agreed?
It’s a wee bit more complicated. The “briefing lounge” we saw first in “The Cage” is on the same deck / set as Pike’s cabin (Pike somehow uses an unseen door of the lounge, crosses it and arrives in the corridor leading to his cabin), compare my draft in this thread for Main Deck 4 (though I’m tempted to locate it on Deck 3 in the next draft – Pike’s little green thingy above his bed just matches too nicely the little porthole on the teardrop). The door of the briefing lounge extends straight into this corridor.

The “conference lounge” we saw in WNMHGB has a different placement of the ceiling elements on the support struts (IIRC, that’s the transporter chamber ceiling, too), its door only leads to a corridor somewhat surrounding the lounge. These two items suggest we are looking at a different lounge, IMHO.

Bob

P.S.

Just reread my Deck 3 & 4 comments from last year. My rationalization was similar to Mytran's, except that I suggested some space inside the saucer became available for a new briefing room so that the "conference lounge" on Deck 2 could be removed.

Last edited by Robert Comsol; June 17 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2014, 10:00 AM   #322
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Just a quick heads-up for anybody interested in discussing the interiors and in particular the cabin design, starting at post # 74 in this BBS thread.

I also just realized, I forgot to feature Ensign Chekov's Deck 5 cabin on the corresponding deck plan draft. According to "The Ultimate Computer" his cabin was neither on Deck 4 or 6.

Bob
Old October 7 2014, 12:58 PM   #323
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Ahem! That ain't a BBS thread, Bob!

Did you mean this one?
Old October 7 2014, 01:39 PM   #324
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Ahem...yes (this is the true reason, I screwed up). On the other hand I wanted to see if anybody was paying attention (this would be the "official" explanation ).

Thanks Mytran!

Bob