RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 541
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 17 2013, 03:16 PM   #196
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Kennysmith, are you referring to the old FASA deckplans? If so, as I recall, those were based very much on the Franz Joseph Booklet of General Plans. Our fellow board member Havoc92 is working on the very best 3D model of those plans I've ever seen. You can find his work on this thread:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=112779

I kinda doubt Robert Comsol's project is what you're looking for, as he's doing his own thing based on totally different parameters.

Or, possibly, I totally misunderstood what you're asking... in which case, just ignore me...

--Alex
Old May 17 2013, 11:59 PM   #197
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

i have some question to. the first thing i have ben fellow mamber of havoc92 project as well to. i have ben trying to get a hold of him as well to. he is doing so good on his project others didn't think he could do so good. it do take a lot of time to do this. i do know it is not easy to do this. i just hope you can do the same for me in geting some info from you please robert comsol. i would like to talk with you more please
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:04 AM   #198
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I think we are looking at a misunderstanding.

All I have been doing thus far is essentially puzzling paper copies of the studio sets together to make them as onscreen-accurate as possible.
This will serve as the basis for my friend Andy to turn my "dirty" drafts into clean 2D (!) CAD blueprints.

I can't do 3D, neither can my friend Andy. For the time being, I hope that one talented 3D artist will eventually turn my deck plans into 3D.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:10 AM   #199
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

i want you to know this at less we are both looking at the same thing i do hope. i do like what you have found out so far. there is not a lot of info about any part of the star ship out there at all.
Old May 18 2013, 11:04 PM   #200
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Thanks for the appreciation. Of course, much of my draft work is conjectural but the more screen-accurate I can get it, the higher the probability that this is the way it is, could or should be.

Corridor Alignment Template (130517)

As a result of my “credit card policy” (design now, worry about the ramifications for the other decks later) I realized I should have paid more attention to a realistic turbo shaft network on Deck 6, first (the widest of all decks and therefore the one to expect the location of the horizontal turbo shaft network, IMHO).

Earlier, I had assumed that the 90° corridors would be turbo shafts on Deck 6 but then there’d be no space left to put enough and longer corridors there.
The obvious solution to the “problem” is to have turbo shafts that align in close proximity with the turbo lift locations seen, but in a manner that makes sense, conforms to a minimum of symmetry, and allows making optimal use of the remaining corridor space. This was the major inspiration to come up with this template you see here.

Of course, the decks will not all look like this, I intend to replace some Season One corridor sections with (shorter) Season Two / Three corridor sections wherever this is required and possible.

Concerning the alignment of transporter rooms (essentially a rectangular room) I had really wanted to put these in 90° angles, too, but the one from “Day of the Dove” (one if not the only one where we see the “sickbay” turbo lift in use next to the transporter) clearly insists to be in close proximity to the diagonal turbo shaft (considering the shortness of the apparently non-horizontal ride to the bridge, and Spock who acknowledges Kirk’s yellow alert signal on the Bridge and arrives in this transporter room apparently and only several seconds later!). At least the transporter chamber looks symmetrical in relation to the central saucer axis...

The inevitable consequence is, of course, that the starboard impulse engine room can’t be nearly as high as the Engineering Control Room on the port side. However, this is good news for the TAS engine room that is obviously much lower (and could tell us that the vertical column powers the transporter room above).

While most of the corridor alignment is conjectural, the one thing that has obviously been established by “The Naked Time” is the alignment of the Season One corridor between 9 and 1 o’clock on Deck 7, due to the actual shape and position of the Season One engine room set.

Obviously, Matt Jefferies acknowledged the need of a turbo shaft to connect the saucer with the engineering hull and accordingly gave the engine room the angle we see (enough space for a turbo shaft to run between those engine rooms!). I just don’t understand why some fan works don’t take this into account, the Season One studio blueprints were not that difficult to acquire via Lincoln Enterprises and have been accessible online for some time now.

In addition, blssdwlf’s has presented an excellent extrapolation (post # 60) why the impulse engines should be considerably larger than what Franz Joseph’s and other deck plans have suggested, not only if one seriously assumes that the impulse engines are essentially a particle exhaust “rocket” drive, but also if one tries to imagine what “blowing up the impulse deck” (not just an engine room, apparently?) would have looked like in an alternate reality of “Where No Man Has Gone Before”.

Interestingly, there was no turbo lift door next to the Engineering Control Room in “The Naked Time”. At least that explains the detour Kirk and Spock had to take from the Bridge to get there, but I’m already getting into the text comment for the Deck 7 draft which yet needs to be illustrated with the other medical wards and laboratories supposedly to be on this deck.

Bob
Old May 19 2013, 03:01 AM   #201
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

i want you know know this, that i am looking for the spaceing in between the spaceing of the wall and all other point of all of the decks. it is real hard to fine. i need inchs" or mm or meters'?.
Old May 19 2013, 08:40 AM   #202
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Do you mean the height of the decks in TOS? That was never really established until the movies, when we saw the two-level Engineering set.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:03 PM   #203
Robert Comsol
Commodore

If it's the width of the main corridors you are looking for, according to Mytran's calculations it is 8 feet / 2.44 meters, if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.

Bob

P.S. Printouts of the Dropbox graphic should show one corridor to be 8 mm wide. Thus every mm on the drafts equals approx. 1 foot or 0.3048 meters.

Last edited by Robert Comsol; May 19 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old May 19 2013, 08:44 PM   #204
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Exactly - and supported by the Lincoln Enterprises blueprints of the Briefing Room set too.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:10 AM   #205
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

they are no longer opne i, know this .
Old May 20 2013, 01:13 AM   #206
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
If it's the width of the main corridors you are looking for, according to Mytran's calculations it is 8 feet / 2.44 meters, if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.

Bob

P.S. Printouts of the Dropbox graphic should show one corridor to be 8 mm wide. Thus every mm on the drafts equals approx. 1 foot or 0.3048 meters.
i do know this that the star trek role playing game show it can be 1 meter square on the floor. you have gave me some good info. thank you.
Old May 20 2013, 03:30 PM   #207
The Librarian
Fleet Captain

One concern I have with this layout, and a few other decks, is that there are segments of corridor that aren't linked to the rest of the deck.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:57 PM   #208
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Maybe I should have been more precise about what the project is at this stage: to feature and fix those corridors and parts of the ship we have seen onscreen before going into all the unseen areas and fill these with conjectural spaces (although I've already done some "filling" experiments here and there).

Right now the aim is to assign as many TOS scenes as possible to the central corridor surrounding the medical complex.

The final plans will - of course - show all the decks filled with the appropriate rooms and spaces.

Bob
Old May 25 2013, 01:29 PM   #209
Godblessed1701
Ensign

oh, lordy lord, sweet jesus. these plans are so totally awesome.
mr. comsol, you are the greatest. id really like to buy u a drink sometime.
Godblessed1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:35 PM   #210
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

LOL! Talk about a jig saw puzzle. How do you stay sane working through all of this?
Great stuff by the way!

Regards,
Chuck