To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 29 2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Aldo
Admiral

Going to my first audtion (play) next week, and words of advice.

This spring my school is putting on a production of an original play: a love story about the poet John Keats and his love Fanny Brawne.

This is my first ever audition, I've picked up the sides today, looked over them, they don't appear to bad. The audition is a closed reading, but since all pages have Keats interacting with Fanny, I'm assuming it will be a two person audition.

A coworker of mine has promised to do some line readings with me this weekend, but until then, I was just curious about anyone who's had experience doing this, what kind of advice could you offer?
Old November 29 2012, 04:14 AM   #2
RapidNadion
Commander

Re: Going to my first audtion (play) next week, and words of advice.

The general stuff bears mention: Be as prepared as you possibly can. Bold choices are more likely to get you remembered. Make sure you show the auditors "the real you" before you slip into character to do the scene; they usually want to know how easy you'll be to work with almost as much as they want to know whether you can play the character.

Most of all -and forgive the cliché- have fun with it. The energy that comes from an actor who's enjoying playing a scene, no matter what kind of scene it is, is infectious and it's a part of what makes theatre great, and distinct from screen work.

Lastly, if you find yourself with a case of the nerves before going in, remember that the auditors aren't there to judge you; they want you to be perfect for the part just as badly as you do!

Hope that helps somewhat. Break a leg!
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Re: Going to my first audtion (play) next week, and words of advice.

I don't have any experience doing plays per se, but I have auditioned for things in the past and even got selected. More recently I have been performing on the piano for other people, which is awesome and nerve wracking.

Generally

- alcohol will not make the nervousness go away
- but it will ruin your audition
- practice, practice, practice! Know your parts back to front. Do the audition without the script
- be yourself. Relax! People can't see how you're feeling inside. I guess that's especially true for actors.

I hope that is some help