Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old July 19 2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

What season does Stargate SG-1 get "good"?

I keep hearing how SG-1 started very weakly but got much better as it went along. Is there a fan consensus about what season SG-1 started to get good, like how nearly all fans agree TNG season 3 was when that show became great?

Also which seasons were the best?
Old July 19 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: What season does Stargate SG-1 get "good"?

SG-1's first season is really weak, though there's some great episodes throughout it and by the end it's certainly picking up steam. Season 2 is definitely when it got good and doesn't disappoint.

Seasons 2-5 are generally considered among fandom in general to be the show's golden years. I personally think the show stayed good up to season 8, though seasons 6-10 get mixed opinions among fandom. And while I don't think seasons 9 and 10 are as good as the first 8, I can't call them bad seasons and they are worth watching all the same.
Old July 19 2013, 03:10 AM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are my favorite. So, I think it gets "good" fairly quickly.
Old July 19 2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

I was going to say that my impression was that it didn't really come together until season 3 or 4, but I just looked over an episode guide and there's some really great, classic stuff in season 2, although there are a few duds too. Ditto for season 3. I'd forgotten how many big storylines and seminal events happened that early in the series.

For that matter, I think you could say the show more or less found its voice midway through season 1. The pilot and episode 2 are pretty good, but the next two after that -- "Emancipation" and "The Broca Divide" -- are pretty awful. Then there's a run of several mediocre ones, but by around midseason there are some more solid episodes, and while the rest of the season is mixed, there are some pretty good ones in there.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; July 19 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old July 19 2013, 03:53 PM   #5
captainkirk
Commander

There were good episodes in every season. I would say that you should watch them all, although the last two dropped in quality a lot. I do have fond memories of quite a few season one episodes. From then on it's great.
Old July 19 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

The first season has some strong episodes, but also a number of duds. I think the ratio of good episodes to bad ones improves in season two, and then gets even better in season three.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 19 2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

captainkirk wrote: View Post
There were good episodes in every season. I would say that you should watch them all, although the last two dropped in quality a lot.
I'll take the last two over the first any day.

Old July 19 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I enjoyed 2 through 6 the most. In 7 and 8, RDA cut back his time on the show and I feel the series suffered for it.

I view seasons 9 and 10 as a different series all together and if viewed that way, it's not bad at all. They really should have gone through with the name change to Stargate Command.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Old July 19 2013, 10:42 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

If I had to narrow down S1 of SG-1 to the good episodes (and the ones that add to the shows overall Mythology)

Children of the Gods
The Enemy Within
The Nox
The Tourment of Tantalus
Bloodlines
Enigma
Solitudes
There But For The Grace of God
Politics
Within the Serpent's Grasp
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 19 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Harvey
Admiral

I'd add three episodes to that list which are somewhat important to the show's mythology down the line:

Children of the Gods
The Enemy Within
The Nox
Thor's Hammer
The Torment of Tantalus
Bloodlines
Singularity
Enigma
Solitudes
Tin Man
There But For The Grace of God
Politics
Within the Serpent's Grasp

That's actually not as bad as I remembered (13 out of 21 episodes), although most of the ones off the list are among the series' worst. I suppose "Hathor" is somewhat important to the show going forward, but it's such an awful installment that I tend to exclude it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 19 2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^I'm not sure how much "Politics" deserves to be on that list, since it's a Dreaded Clip Show; but it's a Dreaded Clip Show that plays a significant role in the arc of the last three episodes and the upcoming seasons. SG1 did have a way of making its clip shows worthwhile by doing important stuff in the frames.

Old July 19 2013, 11:48 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

That's part of the reason why I put it on the list, whilst as you say it is a clip show it's kind of integral as it in essence forms part 1 of the three part season ending story(It also introduces us to a certain Senator). As for SG-1's clip shows. They did for the most part add to the shows mythos the weakes one being "Citizen Joe". Yes it had it's moments but I don't think it really add much to the show as a whole.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; July 19 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old July 20 2013, 12:05 AM   #13
marksound
Fleet Captain

I tried to watch SG1 on Showtime but never really got into it. The wife and I really started watching the reruns when it was in about season 6, got caught up, and stayed with it until the end.

The Replicators' storyline was creepy at the start, but when they started making human clones it got a little stupid. The whole Ori arc just lost me. It seemed like just another supposedly undefeatable enemy with a huge Achilles Heel, like the Goa'uld turned out to be. And the Asgard? Yeah.

Still, it was a fun show. RDA's sense of humor carried it for a long time, and they tried to duplicate it with Ben Browder. Some of it worked, some not so much.

In case no one has noticed, I'm big on the humor thing.
Old July 20 2013, 12:08 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

I think my favorite SG-1 clip show was "Inauguration," the one introducing William Devane as the president. It was cool that they got to reuse the White House sets built in Vancouver for X2: X-Men United. My one problem was that the opening walk-and-talk scenes were clearly written as a pastiche of The West Wing, but were directed with a much slower, more languid pace, so they just didn't feel right.

Old July 20 2013, 12:12 AM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

Willaim Devane of course appeared in The West Wing, if memory serves as Secretary of State Berryhill.