Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 28 2012, 10:23 PM   #16
M
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS in High-Def?

I've been thinking, did anyone ever consider actually re-shooting the FX-elements with full-size replicas of the original filming models, using the original film stock etc., only to composit it with modern software? I would LOVE to see the results of such an endeavour. I bet it would look stunning.

Having said that, personally I prefer what little we saw of the work Eden FX had done for the remastering. Looked really like TOS and was in high definition. I wish they would have been allowed to do the whole project.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

M wrote: View Post
I've been thinking, did anyone ever consider actually re-shooting the FX-elements with full-size replicas of the original filming models, using the original film stock etc., only to composit it with modern software? I would LOVE to see the results of such an endeavour. I bet it would look stunning.
That sounds like a terrific idea, but it would be too expensive for the budget CBS allocated for the restoration of the original series.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well... the biggest problem I had with the space effects were how overlit they were. It seemed like someone was always had a light shining on the Enterprise. It ended up making it look cartoonish and didn't match the live-action elements.
Some of the digital effects are definitely over-lit, especially in early episodes. (I think the Blu-Ray even has a comparison of the Enterprise in early episodes versus its appearance in later ones, in which the lighting is much improved). Having said that, if your problem is effects that were too bright, I'm not sure how well the originals hold up in that regard.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:22 AM   #18
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
In one episode I was looking at back-lit screens above the bridge stations and noticed on all of them that the transparencies were warped and on the verge of peeling off! Of course, this isn't something that was ever meant to be visible on television.
The transparencies looked pretty bad in Tomorrow is Yesterday even before high-def.
I think that is the one where I noticed them.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 12:03 PM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I've been thinking, did anyone ever consider actually re-shooting the FX-elements with full-size replicas of the original filming models, using the original film stock etc., only to composit it with modern software? I would LOVE to see the results of such an endeavour. I bet it would look stunning."
First, they would need a time machine to reshoot the original, untainted 11' model seen here http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...rise/ent01.jpg
which has been turned into that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En...mithsonian.JPG

I wouldn't mind another TOS-R version but it would have to include a faithful CGI reproduction of the Enterprise in its original glory (unless a fan made physical model would be suitable for such shots...)

Which cretin is responsible for adding welding seam lines and weathering on the model? Our airplanes and even ships don't have such archaic welding lines and you could assume that by the 23rd Century you'd have welding techniques leaving no traces whatsoever.
Add to this that the Enterprise's creator Matt Jefferies deliberately designed the ship to keep whatever protruding elements to the absolute minimum - but somebody felt it necessary to inflict the worst retcon surgery you can think of to the most cherished, international icon of science fiction.

And what's the story of Klingon Battlecruisers painted like a Romulan Bird of Prey?
The producers and production designer came up with a simple, canonical solution, i.e. the crest of the Romulan Star Empire looks similar to the one of the Klingon Empire, so the model didn't really need to be changed http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...denthd0723.jpg

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 01:19 PM   #20
M
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I've been thinking, did anyone ever consider actually re-shooting the FX-elements with full-size replicas of the original filming models, using the original film stock etc., only to composit it with modern software? I would LOVE to see the results of such an endeavour. I bet it would look stunning."
First, they would need a time machine to reshoot the original, untainted 11' model seen here http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...rise/ent01.jpg
which has been turned into that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En...mithsonian.JPG
Hence why I said "re-shooting with full-size replicas of the original filming models" and not "re-shooting the original filming models".
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

"Hence why I said "re-shooting with full-size replicas of the original filming models" and not "re-shooting the original filming models". "
Oops. I didn't pay proper attention, mea culpa. But yes, re-shooting with replicas of actual models has definitely a better authentic feel in the TOS context than CGI.

But what do you mean with "full-size"?

Bob
Old November 29 2012, 08:07 PM   #22
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I rarely watch the Blu-Rays. Star Trek, or any show from that era, was never meant to be seen in Hi-Def. Many effects were made possible because of the limited broadcast resolution, providing them another layer to hide behind. Now, though, we can see threads hanging off uniforms, Spock's ear make up seams, Kirk's toupee line and other crap that pulls me out of the action.

No, I prefer the DVDs, but really mostly watch the laserdiscs. There everything is still hidden and you get the original sound mix to beet.

As for the quality of the effects, I grew up with them and they haven't changed. They're as good now as ever.
Old November 29 2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Harvey
Admiral

I don't know if it's fair to say that these shows were never meant to be seen in anything but standard definition television broadcasts. Roddenberry tried to get Jeffrey Hunter to shoot extra footage so that "The Menagerie" (i.e. "The Cage") could be released theatrically, and many of the cast had clauses in their contracts covering theatrical exhibition.

Mission: Impossible, the Desilu series which premiered the same year as Star Trek, actually did cut together a pair of episodes for foreign theatrical distribution (the second season two-parter "The Council" became Mission Impossible vs. The Mob).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 11:57 PM   #24
Robert Comsol
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
"No, I prefer the DVDs, but really mostly watch the laserdiscs. There everything is still hidden and you get the original sound mix to beet."
Unfortunately I have to concur. For my new TOS Enterprise deck plan thread I've constantly utilized my old TV and my LaserDiscs and I noticed intercom reports that are absent on Blu-Ray (and the Blu-Ray intercom reports are mixed into the center channel, thus isolation is impossible). Can somebody please direct me to a thread where this is / has been discussed? Thanx!

Bob
Old November 30 2012, 12:46 AM   #25
Mr_Homn
Captain

blu ray with original effects is my favorite way to watch it.

the crap cgi effects already seem more dated than the original effects to me

however, echoing others, the new matte work is nice
Old November 30 2012, 01:39 AM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain

Technology is great and all, but sometimes the old way is best. I remember watching a behind the scenes special about History Of The World Part I. Albert Whitlock's matte paintings were amazing, and they turned ordinary scenery into magical places. The same with the old stop motion animation of Ray Harryhausen. CGI may "look" better but it doesn't have the same magic.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:44 AM   #27
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post

As for the quality of the effects, I grew up with them and they haven't changed. They're as good now as ever.
I don't know about that. I grew up on TNG and DS9, and the effects on early 90's Trek blows today!

Seriously - I agree. I love watching older show or movies and think effects from that time period are awesome!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:04 PM   #28
marksound
Fleet Captain

Speaking of matte work, here's how it was done before CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dZ3w6Awqk_4
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:45 PM   #29
NewHorizon
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Hehe. That's not the original, untainted, version of the model. The nacelle caps are replacements, as well as the deflector dish I believe. There are some studio sized replicas out there that look fantastic that could pull it off.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Robert Comsol
Commodore

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
"Hehe. That's not the original, untainted, version of the model. The nacelle caps are replacements, as well as the deflector dish I believe. There are some studio sized replicas out there that look fantastic that could pull it off."
Well, it is the original and untainted version, where unfortunately the original nacelle caps, sensor dish and lower saucer dome (I believe upper one, too) had gone missing but I might even prefer this one over the CGI version.

Of course CGI has the advantage that you can seamlessly close in onto the ship like they tried to the old fashioned way in The Cage and beautifully fixed it for TOS-R (I presume the opening shot from TNG's Encounter at Farpoint will receive such a treatment for the special edition of TNG somewhere down the road).

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...cagehd0041.jpg

In general I found the CGI close-ups in TOS-R rather boring giving us nothing else then sterile corridors behind the windows so I'm currently working on deck plans that may give you a little more interesting stuff behind these windows in case a future TOS-R Version 2.0 will also be done with CGI and is looking for some ideas: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=195496

Bob