Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 28 2014, 07:50 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Coto: Trying To Save Star Trek: Enterprise

Star Trek: Enterprise Writer/Co-Executive Producer Manny Coto gave his best effort to try to save the show, and even though Enterprise ended prematurely, Coto is proud of his work. Coto shared memories of his first impression of Brannon Braga, his favorite show, trying to make a William Shatner guest appearance happen, and the controversial Enterprise […]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 02:38 PM   #2
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: Coto: Trying To Save Star Trek: Enterprise

Give ENT a 12 episode 5th season. Bring some genuine closure to that series.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Alrik
Rear Admiral

I found his remarks on TATV interesting. Makes it that much easier for me to see it as a stand alone that doesn't need to be considered.
Old April 29 2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Interesting read. What he said about TATV though...seems more of an excuse or a cop-out for a very poorly done episode, almost like "oh damn this bombed...yeah we never expected it to be the real finale".

Oh well, ENT was far better than I expected going into it and there were only a few minor issues, so if TATV is my biggest complaint, then I'm still happy. Just wish there was more of course.
Old April 29 2014, 06:16 PM   #5
trekker670
Captain

Sigokat wrote: View Post
Interesting read. What he said about TATV though...seems more of an excuse or a cop-out for a very poorly done episode
I disagree, that's always how I have always viewed the episode.

I wasn't big into ENT when it was first on the air (I was in middle school and we didn't have cable), but I watched the occasional episode when I could. I made sure to watch TATV, because I knew it was the end of the era.

Could the episode have been better? Absolutely, but it was never the finale to Enterprise, it was the finale to that generation of Star Trek.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

That may be, but it was horribly done.

I don't know about when it aired, I was stationed overseas and probably in Iraq at the time and this was my first run of it. But if that was the plan from the beginning it sounds like it was a pretty lame plan...why would we need a finale to that generation of Star Trek? Just all around dumb IMO.

Perhaps it would have been done better if the script wasn't so bad, the acting so cheesy, and Frakes/Riker so creepy (did he really need to kiss hologram Hoshi on the cheek?) but I doubt it.
Old April 29 2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Interesting read. What he said about TATV though...seems more of an excuse or a cop-out for a very poorly done episode, almost like "oh damn this bombed...yeah we never expected it to be the real finale".

Oh well, ENT was far better than I expected going into it and there were only a few minor issues, so if TATV is my biggest complaint, then I'm still happy. Just wish there was more of course.
He still works in Hollywood, so he doesn't want to burn bridges as you never know who might be part of another show you get to work on, etc.; so he's just being diplomatic.

It was stated the Demons/Terra Prime story was conceived as a 3 episode arc; and paired down to two so that B&B could do TATV. (Basically Coto was scripting Demons/Terra Prime when Braga told him they wanted to write the final ENT episode; so Coto condensed it to the two episode story we ultimately saw.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 08:12 PM   #8
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Interesting read. What he said about TATV though...seems more of an excuse or a cop-out for a very poorly done episode

I wasn't big into ENT when it was first on the air (I was in middle school and we didn't have cable), but I watched the occasional episode when I could. I made sure to watch TATV, because I knew it was the end of the era.

Could the episode have been better? Absolutely, but it was never the finale to Enterprise, it was the finale to that generation of Star Trek.
Regardless of how it is spun by the perpetrators, TaTV as a "Star Trek" finale also fell flat.

Exactly 3 of the 5 shows were given representation in the episode. They completly ignored Voy and DS9.

No, it started out as the Ent finale and sometime after the uh, ahem, "reviews" for TaTV started rolling in, the Beebs cooked up this "finale to 18 years of Trek" malarky.

There was no mention of this in the run up to the episode or in the immediate aftermath. From what I recall, Mike Sussman came up with the idea for the "boldy go" speech at the end, otherwise we'd never have seen it.

Manny was great for the show and I will ALWAYS be greatful for his participation, but this is some major league spinning.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post

He still works in Hollywood, so he doesn't want to burn bridges as you never know who might be part of another show you get to work on, etc.; so he's just being diplomatic.

It was stated the Demons/Terra Prime story was conceived as a 3 episode arc; and paired down to two so that B&B could do TATV. (Basically Coto was scripting Demons/Terra Prime when Braga told him they wanted to write the final ENT episode; so Coto condensed it to the two episode story we ultimately saw.)
Spot on. It was interesting how he danced around TATV without throwing anyone under the bus. I like how he pointed out that Demons/Terra Prime were the end to ENT and TATV was the bookend for (then) current Trek. Reading between the lines, I took it as, when it comes to TATV, you can choose to take it or leave it, its up to you, without actually saying the words.
Old April 29 2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post

Regardless of how it is spun by the perpetrators, TaTV as a "Star Trek" finale also fell flat.

Exactly 3 of the 5 shows were given representation in the episode. They completly ignored Voy and DS9.

No, it started out as the Ent finale and sometime after the uh, ahem, "reviews" for TaTV started rolling in, the Beebs cooked up this "finale to 18 years of Trek" malarky.

There was no mention of this in the run up to the episode or in the immediate aftermath. From what I recall, Mike Sussman came up with the idea for the "boldy go" speech at the end, otherwise we'd never have seen it.

Manny was great for the show and I will ALWAYS be greatful for his participation, but this is some major league spinning.
I agree entirely. I'm a big fan of Coto and will continue to watch his stuff, nor do I blame him for touting the party line, but yeah, the defense just doesn't seem honest. If it really was a celebration of Trek more than Enterprise, why would TNG need to be the framing device? Why ignore other shows? If it's for the 18 years, why even put in the original Enterprise anyway?

Hindsight is always 20/20, especially nine years after the fact. But imo, if they really wanted to celebrate Trek through Enterprise, then they should've *really* done it through Enterprise, not Enterprise as a TNG episode. The "legacy" of all the other shows being filtered with Enterprise as the start (after all, that's what the premise asks us to accept as viewers) would have honored both the show and the franchise.
Old April 29 2014, 09:33 PM   #11
trekker670
Captain

I disagree, that's always how I have always viewed the episode....

As I stated, this is how I have always viewed the episode, whether that's how TPTB presented it at-the-time or after-the-fact, doesn't change how I viewed it personally.

And I agree, it wasn't great, but I, for one, enjoyed seeing old sets and faces again, despite it not being all that it could have been.
Old April 30 2014, 12:16 AM   #12
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

There was no mention of this in the run up to the episode or in the immediate aftermath.
Perhaps TPTB weren't willing to pay for actors from VOY and DS9. And then they gave up on the all series finale idea.

They weren't willing to pay for Shatner when it could have made a difference.

Or you could be right and Coto sort of remembers it differently. You'd think there would be a big promotion of the 'end of Star Trek' if that was their intention.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 12:52 AM   #13
trekker670
Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Or you could be right and Coto sort of remembers it differently. You'd think there would be a big promotion of the 'end of Star Trek' if that was their intention.
There was, the episode was called a "Valentine" to the fans who had watched the shows over the past 18 years. They even had an issue of TV Guide that stated it was a final goodbye to the fans.

Whether they succeeded in doing so or not is debatable (most believe they didn't). But whether it succeeded as a "Valentine" or not, I think at the time it was very much intended to be a goodbye for the "end of Star Trek."
Old April 30 2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Dukhat
Commodore

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
It is far, far too late for that.
Old April 30 2014, 09:56 AM   #15
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
It is far, far too late for that.
TOS came back after a 10 year hiatus (1969-1979). However Star Wars had a lot to do with that. Maybe Abrams' Episode VII can inspire more Trek material. Yeah right.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote