Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 28 2012, 01:48 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Nu-Spock/ Nu-Uhura Break Up....NO WAY.

Well I have no idea what the difference is other than maybe something gets called a love story if it is more compelling.

Sometimes a love story might grab me but it's not something I'm going to perk up and get excited about if I hear a film contains it. I don't think they will be ignoring Spock and Uhura after the set up they got in ST:XI and how much potential for Spock character development and choices it gives them.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

It's the setup of S/U that will be a problem if they choose to dump them. Both are too thoughtful and cautious to get into a long-term relationship that just "ends." I don't see how that can authentically happen, but maybe it will be pleasingly sad to others. I'm not saying they'll be ignored, just that I'm not interested in a breakup.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I went through that whole business at trekmovie and I was attacked by someone there for providing actual real definitions, lol.
Well, there's ya problem. There are few things more soul-sucking than trying to reason with the armchair Treksperts on Trekmovie.com.
Old November 28 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't automatically assume that "love will be challenged" means a break up. If that so, then we should be really scared after reading "friendships will be TORN APART" too b/c, I don't know about you, but the mention of something being torn apart does sound way more ugly than something getting "challenged", to me. Especially when talking about a relationship between a human woman and a half human half vulcan man, both starfleet officers. How it can be NOT challenged, ever?
Knowing JJ and Orci from shows like Fringe and Alias it's sort of a given that any love story they have will get some challenge or obstacle to overcome. JJ said that in the sequel they wanted to take S/U to the next level and show who are these people and what they mean to each other. A bit of angst is usually used as a plot device to further develop relationships.

It's the setup of S/U that will be a problem if they choose to dump them. Both are too thoughtful and cautious to get into a long-term relationship that just "ends." I don't see how that can authentically happen, but maybe it will be pleasingly sad to others. I'm not saying they'll be ignored, just that I'm not interested in a breakup.
I agree.
Kevin Lauderdale (a star trek writer and fan) had written a whole article about S/U for the star trek magazine and he made this point too (e.g., "Given their positions, that they allowed the relationship to begin at all tells us how strongly they must have felt for each other from the start.")
From the interviews and the commentary it seems that the writers (and consequently the characters) are in it for the long haul. They said that they are in love and they implied that Uhura is sort of Spock's "Amanda" (meaning that they can be a new version of Sarek and Amanda) it doesn't sound like a fling to me.
All the attention they got in the comics and the novels also..

A believable break up may require even more amount of screentime devoted to that relationship than them staying together in the background like it was in the first movie (not to mention that it would leave the whole "will they won't they?" open so they could always get back together in the third movie) so I don't think it would make the haters happy either. The "haters" had demanded them (over trekmovie, anyway ) to pretend that the relationship had never happened, and the writers already said that they won't do that.
I may be wrong (and maybe I'm giving too much credit to them) but the writers don't seem so inclined to pandering. And after all, the first movie may have haters but it still was a success and tons of press and reviews were more than positive about S/U along with the other changes made in the movie. They are pretty proud of themselves.
Old November 28 2012, 12:13 PM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Malaika wrote: View Post

A believable break up may require even more amount of screentime devoted to that relationship than them staying together in the background like it was in the first movie
That's why if there isn't time for a believable break up someone must die.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
Malaika wrote: View Post

A believable break up may require even more amount of screentime devoted to that relationship than them staying together in the background like it was in the first movie
That's why if there isn't time for a believable break up someone must die.
yes, they could kill either Spock or Uhura and I definitely take this idea into consideration. Mostly because they said that the sequel is "bolder". (though, if Uhura gets pregnant.. now that's bold for a whole list of reasons!)
But at the same time, it wouldn't make sense for them to kill one of the main characters NOW, in a reboot that is just the beginning of the story and after the writers had talked so much about them making the characters the crew that we know and the sequel being the movie that made them a true group.
Killing one of the main tos characters is a huge risk because it wouldn't mean just killing them in this movie, it would mean getting rid of them from the whole current star trek franchise and possible future movies, tv-series (animated), comics, novels etc etc..

though, to be fair, people died and resurrected in the prime universe so even if they kill off one of the characters chances are that they can always find a way to bring him/her back.
Old November 28 2012, 12:30 PM   #22
teacake
Admiral

How about if she is abducted by the detonators. Cliffhanger.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

oh my, they are definitely enough evil (lol) to end the movie with a cliffhanger so that you must watch the third one if you want to know what had happened to that character.
I could even accept a cliffhanger if we were talking about a tv-show and season's finale, but I don't think I'd have the patience to await 5 more years for the second part of this movie.
Old November 28 2012, 12:41 PM   #24
teacake
Admiral

You know what would be really really wonderful?

If they had filmed ALL THREE MOVIES at once like LOTR and just made us wait one year between each.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 12:51 PM   #25
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
You know what would be really really wonderful?

If they had filmed ALL THREE MOVIES at once like LOTR and just made us wait one year between each.
exactly.
Old November 28 2012, 02:17 PM   #26
serenitytrek1
Commander

I know,I wish the third movie coud come out in 2014,it cant obviously come out in 2015 because of star wars,so we have to wait 3 more years.I dont mind cliff hangers if only I had to wait a year for the next film but 3 years is just to much.

As for S/U I guess we will just have to wait and see.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:01 PM   #27
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It makes no sense for the writers to put Spock in a relationship just to do nothing with it. So of course there will be dramatic tension.

But by the end of the three-movie (most likely) arc, there needs to be some upshot. Either one or both are dead; they break up; or they live happily ever after. Killing one or both is certainly the most dramatic option, but of the other two, the resolution will happen at the end of the story, so for us, it really doesn't matter what they do for the rest of their off-screen lives.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

"Love will be challenged" -- Suddenly I wonder if this means Spock dumps Uhura for Kirk as a (pardon the expression) bone thrown to slash fans.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:50 PM   #29
teacake
Admiral

He's not going to "dump" her for Kirk, but he may be put into a position where he must choose between her and the ship, captain, captain's orders.. the needs of the many and the needs of the one.

Of course some of us will know in our hearts that secretly, really, he made that choice for more than logical reasons.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2012, 12:34 AM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
"Love will be challenged" -- Suddenly I wonder if this means Spock dumps Uhura for Kirk as a (pardon the expression) bone thrown to slash fans.
There's approximately zero chance of that happening on the big screen.

More likely scenario: the glowey-eyed pix of Saldana we saw really was a hint that she gets taken over by Gary Mitchells' mind-fu, and goes squirrely and Spock is forced to choose between killing her or letting her run amok and murder untold billions blahblahblah, oh no what will he do, it's Vulcan all over again, sorry Nyota, ka-BLAM!

Uhura may end up dead by the end, but that's "dead," not dead. They gotta give us something to talk about until Move #3 comes out, after all.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote