Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 27 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
serenitytrek1
Commander

Nu-Spock/ Nu-Uhura Break Up....NO WAY.

In the light of the recent synopsis about how love will be challenged. I see that some people are hoping that S/U will break up as they believe that Spock should not be in any relationship.

Well guess what? It is not Spock, it is not TOS Spock, Orignal Spock, Spock Prime, Nimoy’s Spock or whatever you call him, Spock is not in a relationship with uhura. Nu-Spock is. They are different people.

when I got into Nolan's Batman series I also didn’t go on a rampage about how Bruce/Batman never loved Rachel.

Heck, Rachel was never even in the comics, TV series or past movies. Nolan created the character just for his Batman film series. I also didn’t see hardcore Bat fans screaming at Nolan for paring Bruce up with someone they didnt know or didnt exist at all in the DC Universe.

All movies despite its genre needs romance, a story is never complete without a romantic subplot. Sure I thought the first film will end with Kirk/Uhura been a couple but at the end, I warmed up to Spock/Uhura.

it was so shocking and unpredictable and very different in comparison to other romantic subplots in movies. Normally it is the handsome hero aka Jim Kirk that should get the girl and not the geek but JJ pulled a Shrek instead. I hope it stay that way.

S/U already has a huge fanbase and is already part of our popular culture.I hope JJ and his crew don’t give into the pressure put on them by the S/U haters who are mostly Slash fans ..... a base that has become a loud minority.

This issue has been talked about to death. Even Startrek.com did a poll asking if Kirk/Spock are gay and 84% of the fans said no. Here is the link: http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic...ock-gay?page=1

Do I want to see,read or hear that TOS Spock and TOS Uhura get together in the orignal timeline? NO

Do I want to see Nu-Spock and Nu-uhura get together again in Trek 2013? YES

So no...no break up at all.Unless the break up is similar to the Aragon/Arwen break in the Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; November 27 2012 at 10:25 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Nu-Spock/ Nu-Uhura Break Up....NO WAY.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
it was so shocking and unpredictable and very different in comparison to other romantic subplots in movies. Normally it is the handsome hero aka Jim Kirk that should get the girl and not the geek but JJ pulled a Shrek instead. I hope it stay that way.
Are you actually calling Spock ugly?

S/U already has a huge fanbase and is already part of our popular culture.I hope JJ and his crew don’t give into the pressure put on them by the S/U haters who are mostly Slash fans ..... a base that has become a loud minority.
But I wrote JJ a letter. He has to listen to me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
serenitytrek1
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
Are you actually calling Spock ugly?

But I wrote JJ a letter. He has to listen to me.
No I am not calling Spock ugly my reference to Shrek was the fact that Shrek was a fairy tale story that did everything backwards.
Old November 27 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
teacake
Admiral

Unlike Shrek Spock has been the object of female ardor for decades. He had plenty of loves in TOS. Giving him a girlfriend is hardly doing anything backwards.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 27 2012, 11:09 PM   #5
StarMan
Vice Admiral

S/U already has a huge fanbase and is already part of our popular culture.
That's a rather hefty dose of hyperbole. Among Joe Public - if you're lucky - most people will be aware that there was a Star Trek movie a few years back featuring a young Kirk and Spock. That's it. I think it's a tad premature to pronounce S/U as a part of our popular culture.

I hope JJ and his crew don’t give into the pressure put on them by the S/U haters who are mostly Slash fans ..... a base that has become a loud minority.
Pressure?
Old November 27 2012, 11:19 PM   #6
serenitytrek1
Commander

Unlike Shrek Spock has been the object of female ardor for decades. He had plenty of loves in TOS. Giving him a girlfriend is hardly doing anything backwards.
OMG...What I mean is in a typical film, Kirk would have gotten the girl and not Spock,Kirk is the main character and he is the Hero.The girl is and should be his but JJ said he didnt want it that way.According to JJ, Kirk never stood a chance.

And yes TOS Spock had so many loves,more proof that TOS Spock is nothing like Quinto's Spock.

So I dont know why some TOS purist are demanding that Quinto's Spock should become more like TOS Spock.

Even TOS Spock has told him to ditch the logic thing and do what feels his right.

I prefer Nu-Spock because of my undying love for Zachary Quinto.
Old November 27 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

*Wonders when M'Sharak is going to come along and yet again close his post*
Old November 27 2012, 11:28 PM   #8
teacake
Admiral

And yes TOS Spock had so many loves,more proof that TOS Spock is nothing like Quinto's Spock.
We have no idea how much NuSpock has gotten before we see him in ST:XI. He might have gone through half the cadets.

You have to understand, there are rumors about Vulcans that some young ladies are going to be very curious about, and when they actually have one right there in front of them wearing real pants and not robes they are going to want to try him out.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

You know, whatever they do is what they do. At this point, I'm not really bothered. It looks like it's time for me to move on. If by chance I hear that it's good when it comes out and that S/U stay together, then I'll give it a shot. Until then, whatever.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 12:31 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"Love being challenged" = S/U having a more prominent part than in STXI. Whether they break up or not will be to this film what "Does Janeway return?" was to The Eternal Tide.
Old November 28 2012, 12:38 AM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

IAll movies despite its genre needs romance, a story is never complete without a romantic subplot.
Ever hear of The Wizard of Oz? Inherit the Wind? Twelve Angry Men? Billy Budd? All the President's Men? Das Boot? No Escape? A Clockwork Orange? 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 12:46 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral

I don't care about romance one way or the other.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 12:55 AM   #13
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I don't care for romance, but I do like love stories.

As long as it's a nice action flick, they'll make a profit. So, whatever they decide to do is up to them. It doesn't matter. There's always something else for people interested in love.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
"Love being challenged" = S/U having a more prominent part than in STXI. Whether they break up or not will be to this film what "Does Janeway return?" was to The Eternal Tide.
Maybe that's the case, and maybe not. I think this movie will be about Kirk and and it will have lots of action. That will work well enough.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 28 2012, 01:05 AM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
What is the difference?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 28 2012, 01:38 AM   #15
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
What is the difference?
There's a difference. I just don't feel like typing about it. I went through that whole business at trekmovie and I was attacked by someone there for providing actual real definitions, lol. I think I'm done defending S/U or discussing love stories versus romances. It doesn't look like either one will apply much for the next film anyway, so it doesn't really matter.