Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 6 2012, 07:58 PM   #76
Markonian
Captain

Re: Titan and The Fall news

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can't see them stretching the fall of Section 31 over five novels and five authors. Although if S31 is in the next movie, there may be some fortuitous Section 31-mania gripping the fanbase at the time.
Do you think they would use a concept introduced by another series than TOS? I know that ENT is technically part of the movie continuity but I'm afraid the producers/writers just skip everything not directly related to TOS.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 08:15 PM   #77
The Wormhole
Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can't see them stretching the fall of Section 31 over five novels and five authors. Although if S31 is in the next movie, there may be some fortuitous Section 31-mania gripping the fanbase at the time.
Do you think they would use a concept introduced by another series than TOS? I know that ENT is technically part of the movie continuity but I'm afraid the producers/writers just skip everything not directly related to TOS.
Well, the plot synopsis of the movie plus certain elements of IDW's comic series do kind of suggest Section 31.
Old December 6 2012, 08:46 PM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Do you think they would use a concept introduced by another series than TOS?
They already did. Uhura ordered two Cardassian sunrises in the bar scene. They referenced Admiral Archer. The term "katric ark" is from Enterprise, though they used it differently in the movie. Spock Prime's implicitly friendly relations with the Romulans seem to be an outgrowth of his work among them established in TNG: "Unification" and the Federation-Romulan detente seen in the Dominion War arc on DS9 and in Nemesis. And if you're defining "other than TOS" literally, the Spock childhood scenes are basically a rewrite of scenes from the animated series's "Yesteryear," and there are references to the Kolinahr from TMP and the Kobayashi Maru simulation from TWOK.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 11:49 PM   #79
Markonian
Captain

Thanks for the clarification, Christopher. With 'TOS' is vaguely included TAS and the TOS movies (sorry for not stating that).

I also remember the Cardassian drinks and Admiral Archer, though I think they were just one-time name drops to satisfy the fans.

Involving Section 31 would be much more than a mere name drop, it would import a concept that originated from non-TOS-related material, namely DS9. Of course, I'd love if the creative minds behind the Reboot would be open for some cool yet old concepts (cf. the Borg reference in the first Academy novel).

The new timeline is still set in the same 'universe', only the history has changed, right? However, the purpose of the reboot was not to change history but to ged rid off an accumulated continuity.
Old December 6 2012, 11:57 PM   #80
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's not like the filmmakers were made to sign a contract forbidding them from using certain elements. They can build a story around whatever they want, whatever they think is the best source of ideas for their purposes. That can include canon material or new material as they see fit. Continuity, or the absence thereof, is nothing but a means to an end, and the end is telling a story.

Old December 7 2012, 01:45 AM   #81
The Wormhole
Admiral

The new timeline is still set in the same 'universe', only the history has changed, right? However, the purpose of the reboot was not to change history but to ged rid off an accumulated continuity.
Everything that happened before Nero's arrival and subsequent destruction of the Kelvin is supposed to be the same between the two timelines.
Old December 7 2012, 02:22 AM   #82
Markonian
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Everything that happened before Nero's arrival and subsequent destruction of the Kelvin is supposed to be the same between the two timelines.
Yes, but as Christopher said, the continuity is a means to an end. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted 'past' events to suit their storytelling (cf. Landru's story in Star Trek Ongoing). I am not complaining, though. Just speculating.

Any other Titan or The Fall news? Are we still on-topic?
Old December 7 2012, 03:11 AM   #83
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Still off topic...

I haven't read it, so are you saying Landru's ancient history is different in the nu-verse?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 03:12 AM   #84
JWolf
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
"When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels? When's DS9 going to catch up with all the other novels?"

"Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels? Why did DS9 have to catch up with all the other novels?"

"When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels? When's VOY going to catch up with all the other novels?"

We are not there yet.
Old December 7 2012, 03:26 AM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Still off topic...

I haven't read it, so are you saying Landru's ancient history is different in the nu-verse?
Yup...

Old December 7 2012, 03:28 AM   #86
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Then again, since the diversion happened in 2233 - well after Landru - it must have been that way all along.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 03:41 AM   #87
Markonian
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Then again, since the diversion happened in 2233 - well after Landru - it must have been that way all along.
Maybe. I can't judge that, I haven't been able to read the comics yet. However, I thought Landru was much older in TOS? As in centuries old.
Old December 7 2012, 03:49 AM   #88
Christopher
Writer

Landru lived 6000 years before the episode, IIRC.

However, from what I've gathered about the comic book's version, it's possible that it could simply be revealing an unsuspected truth that the characters in the original episode failed to discover, rather than depicting an altered version of the timeline. Remember, what people believe is true about the past isn't always true.

Old December 7 2012, 03:57 AM   #89
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Although I know most people don't agree with me, and it isn't the filmaker intent, I still choose to see the entire nu-verse as an alternate reality before the temporal incursion and the Spock from the future not as the exact Spock we knew before. This tidbit could be interpreted to lend credence to that viewpoint. Though I will admit Christopher's interpretation could be true as well.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 11:23 PM   #90
Danlav05
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Do you think they would use a concept introduced by another series than TOS?
They already did. Uhura ordered two Cardassian sunrises in the bar scene. They referenced Admiral Archer. The term "katric ark" is from Enterprise, though they used it differently in the movie. Spock Prime's implicitly friendly relations with the Romulans seem to be an outgrowth of his work among them established in TNG: "Unification" and the Federation-Romulan detente seen in the Dominion War arc on DS9 and in Nemesis. And if you're defining "other than TOS" literally, the Spock childhood scenes are basically a rewrite of scenes from the animated series's "Yesteryear," and there are references to the Kolinahr from TMP and the Kobayashi Maru simulation from TWOK.
One of the writers is a fan of The Next Generation, and oobviously Old Spock's character arc continues from that, plus he stated inspiration came from 'Yesterday's Enterprise'
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote