Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 30 2012, 04:09 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

It's a big universe. The idea that a mere 3600 space cops could protect it all is laughable. Logically, anyone seeking to protect the universe would welcome any help they could get.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:13 PM   #77
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

^These days there's supposed to be around 7200, no idea what the actual number would be. But, your point is still valid.
Old November 30 2012, 05:42 PM   #78
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Yes but we all know just how arrogant the Guardians are. Even the Living Tribunal finds them amusing.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 09:37 PM   #79
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I've little patience for the fanboyish tendency to treat super heroes and hero teams/groups like a sports team.
I wasn't asking for your agreement or permission. Like I said, It's an item from my wishlist. If you wanna keep on writing three-paragraph dissertations in response to a scenario that will never happen outside of a fanfic - most likely written by me - that's your business, but my tendencies are mine.

These are superheroes not professional athletes.
No, they're all just built like professional athletes, and are as competitive as professional athletes, and get more of a workout during a major super battle than most professional athletes can imagine getting.

Other than the occasional miss-understanding or mind control, they should be fighting super-villains not each other.
You've described in one sentence the most trite, overused concept in superhero comics. Good guys forced to fight break the control and turn on the bad guys. It's been done, Ad nauseum.

They should be saving the world not looking bragging rights over who's tougher. Now, the JLA vs the Master of Evil or the Avengers vs the Injustice Gang would be fun.
Nope, just more triteness.

This thread made me reread JLA/Avengers. The chapter where they co-exist and have an annual get together was fun. There was smack talk ( mostly Hawkeye and GA) and some rivalry and it was fun. And earlier there was some fights through misunderstanding and manipulation. Also fun.
Wanna know what was more fun? Hawkeye calling the Justice League "Squadron Supreme wannabes." Four Avengers ganging up to pound Superman to avenge Thor. Batman ignoring his own non-interference edict to take out Punisher. That shit was fun!

But in the end both teams acted like professionals out to save their universes not a bunch of fanboys looking for bragging rights.
And back to the triteness. But okay, I'll bite. How about if the successful merger of the universes required one team to defeat the other, not in a powerful object scavenger hunt but in a full-contact brawl?

Nah, probably not enough Cumbaya for someone as sophisticated as yourself...

I'm big fan of the Avengers and the JLA. They were among the first comics I began to collect as a kid. ( along with Captain America). I was probably more of a Marvel guy back then, but still didn't see the story value of the two team fighting each other in some sort of Super hero Super Bowl.
And I again, I wasn't asking you to. Just leave that up to us fanboys.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:29 PM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

And I'm neither giving nor denying permission for you to indulge in your wish list. I'm just giving you my opinion as to why its silly. Its called a conversation and or a debate. Sort of why this place exists.

For me ( and this is just my opinion) there has to be a logical reason for two heroes or teams to get in brawl. it can't just be for bragging rights or to mark their territory. These aren't street gangs. They're people dedicated to doing the right thing and helping people. That's why they put on the masks, capes and tights. Give a story reason that fits the characters then I'll happily read a knock down between the JLA and the Avengers.

Being built like pro athletes doesn't mean they are pro athletes or competitive in the same way. First, pro athletes are real people not fictional characters being written by people who may have never played sports at any level. Two, their builds depend on who draws them not how they workout. Three what they do in a day is fantasy and not comparable to athletes who's lack of alien physiology, hi tech weapons and genetic mutations should be obvious.

Mindless brawling without a good story and solid characterization is about as trite as it gets.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 11:00 PM   #81
Christopher
Writer

I'm with Nerys Myk. These aren't wrestlers putting on an exhibition, they're crimefighters and rescuers who use their powers to help people. I think The Avengers (the film) got it absolutely right. Tony Stark and Steve Rogers were butting heads incessantly, their personalities clashing, but as soon as people were in danger, they both immediately put that aside and had no trouble working together as a team. And that's what made them heroes. Helping people came first, always, automatically.

Old November 30 2012, 11:06 PM   #82
the G-man
Commodore

And I'm with both of you. In fact, I find it mind boggling that Admiral2 keeps callling Myk's post "triteness," while telling us how great superhero battles are. Does he not realize those have been around (and quickly became a cliche) since at least the days of Timely comics and the Human Torch vs the Sub-mariner?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 11:30 PM   #83
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

In the interest of heroes fighting at least these two could have a reasonable excuse.

Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:21 AM   #84
the G-man
Commodore

Heh. The second I saw that cover my brain immediately heard Carl Douglas singing "Kung Fu Fighting."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:54 PM   #85
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Holy crap, I just thought of something: Hulk gets ahold of a red lantern ring.

Also, Deadshot and Bullseye have an annual get-together where they have a couple minutes to kill each other. They then shake hands and part amicably.

Last edited by Fist McStrongpunch; December 1 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Fist McStrongpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:47 PM   #86
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Holy crap, I just thought of something: Hulk gets ahold of a red lantern ring.
Oh dear. The universe is doomed. That does make me think about what other Marvel characters might find themselves with rings, though. Surely Doctor Doom would find out about the orange light and try to acquire it of himself. Could you imagine Sinestro Corps Galactus? I mean, Sinestro managed to recruit the Anti-Monitor. Galactus isn't too far of a stretch. Spider-Man seems an incredibly obvious choice for a blue ring.
Old December 1 2012, 06:49 PM   #87
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I'll just state for the record that the idea that Martians (DC style) are hybrids of Skrulls and Kryptonians is a little bit brilliant.
Ditto.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 07:52 PM   #88
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'd think Captain Marvel would interact more with Thor and the Asgardians, being powered by "brother" Gods and all that. I think Thor has actually battled some of the Gods The Marvels are powered by.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:05 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

So would DC's Hercules and Marvel's Hercules be the same person?

Old December 1 2012, 08:12 PM   #90
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Is Thanos' reaper-style girlfriend just an aspect of the perky goth Endless?