Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 30 2012, 12:37 AM   #61
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Uni-Versal Comics

^^^
This is awesome.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
^Dr. Duid was an awesome leader of the Avengers and would have led the team to victory easily...ok maybe not. With the exception of the Detroit years(and even then the Martian Manhunter was calling the shots) leadership of the JL has always been pretty solid.
"Solid" is not the same as tactically sound. This is a battle we're talking about.

My thinking is that the JLA's advantages are all negated if Captain America is leading the Avengers and Anybody but Batman is running the JLA. Why? Because other JLA leaders tend to be self-righteous do-gooders who tend to think of battles in terms of boxing matches: match everybody in terms of weight classes. Supes vs. Hulk, Manhunter vs. Vision, Ms. Marvel vs Wonder Woman, etc. (In fact, that's usually how everybody in real life thinks too, hence the conventional wisdom, since JLA has more heavyweights.) Captain America's idea of a battle, however, was shaped by leading special forces in WW2, so he knows you don't win a battle by matching strength for strength. You win it by applying your strengths against your enemies weaknesses. As long as he leads the Avengers and the upright super-citizen of the week is leading the JLA, the Avengers have more than a fair shot of coming out on top.

All that changes if Batman is leading the JLA, because Batman thinks the same way Cap does. He has to to protect an entire city from murderous clowns, crocodile men, juiced-up luchadores and chicks that control plants with nothing but a bunch of teens and pre-teens as back-up. If it's Cap's team vs. Bats's team, Cap might as well just turn over his shield and say, "So, how many channels does the Watchtower get?"

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:36 AM   #62
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Only if Howard were served for Thanksgiving dinner at Wayne Manor.
What, no love for the master of Quack Fu?
Old November 30 2012, 01:38 AM   #63
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Only if Howard were served for Thanksgiving dinner at Wayne Manor.
What, no love for the master of Quack Fu?
Does it have to be love? Can we like him a bunch?

Old November 30 2012, 02:31 AM   #64
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Uni-Versal Comics Amazing Moments
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 02:37 AM   #65
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

^^^
For the win!

Old November 30 2012, 03:12 AM   #66
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

^ The made-up covers are really cool!

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 03:41 AM   #67
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
That's just silly. "Bragging rights"? Sheesh. I see no reason why both teams can't co-exist as sometime allies with a friendly rivalry.
Try telling that to a city with more than one team in a pro sport. I defy you to tell a Mets fan that getting bragging rights over the Yankees would be silly.

Look, I'm talking about an item on my merger wish list. You want all the teams to sit around a fire and sing Cumbaya? Fine.

I prefer Marvel over DC. I like the Avengers more than the Justice League. If the Big Squeeze happens and suddenly the universes collide I want my favorite superteam to be the top dog team. If that comes only after a "friendly" ass-kicking of the other superteam, so much the better, because seeing the battle would be FUN!

Sorry, but I've little patience for the fanboyish tendency to treat super heroes and hero teams/groups like a sports team. These are superheroes not professional athletes. Other than the occasional miss-understanding or mind control, they should be fighting super-villains not each other. They should be saving the world not looking bragging rights over who's tougher. Now, the JLA vs the Master of Evil or the Avengers vs the Injustice Gang would be fun.

This thread made me reread JLA/Avengers. The chapter where they co-exist and have an annual get together was fun. There was smack talk ( mostly Hawkeye and GA) and some rivalry and it was fun. And earlier there was some fights through misunderstanding and manipulation. Also fun. But in the end both teams acted like professionals out to save their universes not a bunch of fanboys looking for bragging rights.

I'm big fan of the Avengers and the JLA. They were among the first comics I began to collect as a kid. ( along with Captain America). I was probably more of a Marvel guy back then, but still didn't see the story value of the two team fighting each other in some sort of Super hero Super Bowl.

Oh, I'm from the Bay Area, so I know a thing or two about local sports rivalry, (Niners and Giants Raiders and A's )
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:26 AM   #68
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Sort of an odd grouping of Avengers here but what can you do.

Have to agree with Nerys, these guys are pros and wouldnt come to blows just for giggles or anything. They would no doubt work together as quickly as possible. And if they were always on one Earth from the start there would be no fighting at all.
Old November 30 2012, 04:42 AM   #69
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Since the assholishness of the Marvel Civilian populace is too much a part of it to do away with, how would the DC heroes deal with being as feared and mistrusted by the normal populace as the Marvels are? Even Superman is being given this lately.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:48 AM   #70
Christopher
Writer

Anwar wrote: View Post
Since the assholishness of the Marvel Civilian populace is too much a part of it to do away with, how would the DC heroes deal with being as feared and mistrusted by the normal populace as the Marvels are? Even Superman is being given this lately.
I think that's too broad a generalization. Heroes like the Fantastic Four have never been feared and mistrusted. It's generally more the outcast types, like mutants or the Hulk. Spidey's mainly hated because of one man's multimedia smear campaign against him. I guess the events of Civil War did create some broader mistrust, but that's passed now, I think.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 05:12 AM   #71
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
I think that's too broad a generalization. Heroes like the Fantastic Four have never been feared and mistrusted. It's generally more the outcast types, like mutants or the Hulk. Spidey's mainly hated because of one man's multimedia smear campaign against him. I guess the events of Civil War did create some broader mistrust, but that's passed now, I think.
Very true. If you can't trust Captain America, who can you trust?

Hey, life on the DCU Earth wasn't always a picnic for superheroes, either.

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:42 PM   #72
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I guess an important question to ask is when did the universes merge, at the beginning of time itself or more recently?
This would help to answer the question of the population and their fear/love of the heroes.
Old November 30 2012, 03:46 PM   #73
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I wonder how we could reconcile the powers of the Quantum-Bands with those of the Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Let alone Quasar's job description 'Protector of the Universe' with that of the Green Lanterns.
Old November 30 2012, 04:03 PM   #74
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

^That ones easy, after the Guardians failure with the Manhunters , Eon created the Quantum bands. Even after the formation of the Lanterns these bands were still in use. While the Guardians frown on the "Protector of the Universe" title, they laugh at Eon for beliveing one man can protect the whole universe.
Old November 30 2012, 04:06 PM   #75
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

^Given the Guardians track record versus Eon's I'm not sure they should be laughing. Not that the Guardians laughter wouldn't be a story unto itself.