RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,795
Posts: 5,217,915
Members: 24,224
Currently online: 720
Newest member: indianhairstore

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 28 2012, 10:29 PM   #46
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Only if Howard were served for Thanksgiving dinner at Wayne Manor.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:42 AM   #47
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Do Marvel speedsters gain access to the speed force?
Why wouldn't they?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:45 AM   #48
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo Bay
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Do Marvel speedsters gain access to the speed force?
Why wouldn't they?
Ask the guys who gave us the JLA/Avengers graphic novel. In it, when Quicksilver is in the DC 'verse he tries to access the speed force and fails miserably. Meanwhile, the Flash loses his powers in the Marvel 'verse. There's apparently rules and junk. The merger might change them, but maybe it won't.
__________________
"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRRRORRRUNNK!"

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:54 AM   #49
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
USS Kongo wrote: View Post
Would Marvel heroes join the Justice League? Or would they continue in their own groups, like the Avengers?
Both teams have changed rosters many times, so I'm sure there'd be some intermingling if they coexisted. Although the thing is, they both fill the same basic role in the superheroic ecosystem, as it were -- the all-star team that comes together for the crises too big for any one hero. So if the characters had coexisted all along, I'm not sure we would've had separate Avengers and JL teams, but one team that emerged as an amalgam of the two (pardon the expression). Either that, or one team would dominate as the heavy-hitter roster with folks like Superman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Green Lantern, and Thor, and the other might be more a second-stringer team akin to the West Coast Avengers or Justice League Europe.
Like I said: Settle the Avengers/JLA thing once and for all.

One battle royale. Winning team gets to be the super group for the new uni. Losing team disbands and joins the winners.

I'm rooting for the Avengers. I hope someday to hear Black Canary cry out "Avengers Assemble!" (Probably hear it in all the alternate universes...)
Why would there have to be one team? It's not like either universe only had one team in it. And over the years many heroes in both universes have been members of several teams. I would imagine in a shared universe there would eventually be some "cross-pollenation". DC has a long history of merging other companies' heroes with their own, going as far back as All-Star Comics/the JSA which featured characters from DC and All-American. Later they blended in characters from Quality, Fawcett and Charlton, finally merging them into a single Universe in Crisis On Infinite Earths. Afterwards the Justice League featured characters from all five Universes/Companies. In a merged universe, seeing X-men or Avengers as JLA members or JLAers or Titans in the Avengers is a natural progression.

Seeing Captain America with the JSA would be my dream team.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 03:04 AM   #50
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo Bay
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Both teams have changed rosters many times, so I'm sure there'd be some intermingling if they coexisted. Although the thing is, they both fill the same basic role in the superheroic ecosystem, as it were -- the all-star team that comes together for the crises too big for any one hero. So if the characters had coexisted all along, I'm not sure we would've had separate Avengers and JL teams, but one team that emerged as an amalgam of the two (pardon the expression). Either that, or one team would dominate as the heavy-hitter roster with folks like Superman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Green Lantern, and Thor, and the other might be more a second-stringer team akin to the West Coast Avengers or Justice League Europe.
Like I said: Settle the Avengers/JLA thing once and for all.

One battle royale. Winning team gets to be the super group for the new uni. Losing team disbands and joins the winners.

I'm rooting for the Avengers. I hope someday to hear Black Canary cry out "Avengers Assemble!" (Probably hear it in all the alternate universes...)
Why would there have to be one team? It's not like either universe only had one team in it.

And I'm not saying "just one team" now. I never said anything about JLE, JSA, All-Star Squadron, Defenders, Champions, West Coast whatever. This isn't about just picking one superteam. This is about settling an age old question between two specific superteams. Who wins? Avengers or JLA? The prize is bragging rights as the premiere superteam in the new verse. The others are all also-rans anyway and not in this discussion.
__________________
"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRRRORRRUNNK!"

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 03:15 AM   #51
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

That's just silly. "Bragging rights"? Sheesh. I see no reason why both teams can't co-exist as sometime allies with a friendly rivalry.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 03:19 AM   #52
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
USS Kongo wrote: View Post
Would Marvel heroes join the Justice League? Or would they continue in their own groups, like the Avengers?
Both teams have changed rosters many times, so I'm sure there'd be some intermingling if they coexisted. Although the thing is, they both fill the same basic role in the superheroic ecosystem, as it were -- the all-star team that comes together for the crises too big for any one hero. So if the characters had coexisted all along, I'm not sure we would've had separate Avengers and JL teams, but one team that emerged as an amalgam of the two (pardon the expression). Either that, or one team would dominate as the heavy-hitter roster with folks like Superman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Green Lantern, and Thor, and the other might be more a second-stringer team akin to the West Coast Avengers or Justice League Europe.
Like I said: Settle the Avengers/JLA thing once and for all.

One battle royale. Winning team gets to be the super group for the new uni. Losing team disbands and joins the winners.

I'm rooting for the Avengers. I hope someday to hear Black Canary cry out "Avengers Assemble!" (Probably hear it in all the alternate universes...)
The thing is, that typically the JLA grossly overpowers the Avengers on most days. When the JLA is composed primarily of the A listers there is no way that the Avengers can compete.

What I could see happening team wise is that the merged universe would in someway match the new 52 status quo with the JL supplanting the Avengers as the A list premier team that saves the world and the Avengers becoming the preferred team of the government/UN thus replacing either the JLI or Stormwatch (or the upcoming New JLA). I such a situation I would promote Thor and the Hulk to the JL and possibly demoting Cyborg.


I still don't understand why people think that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark would be hostile to each other? It seems to me that both would be casting a wary eye on Lexcorp. Luthor's Lexcorp is larger than Wayne Enterprises and thus probably Larger than any incarnation of Stark Industries. I could see Stark teaming up with Queen Industries, Wayne Enterprises and Kord against Lexcorp. What I could also see is an underground war between Lexcorp and Oscorp. Both are the largest companies in ther respective universes and run by brilliant scientist supervillians who have at some point been President of the United States.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:29 AM   #53
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Didn't Oscorp take a hit after the whole Siege storyline?
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:29 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Why would there have to be one team? It's not like either universe only had one team in it.
True, of course. But as I said, I think there'd be a different "ecological niche" for each team, as it were. If you have a loose affiliation of top-tier (and some lower-tier) heroes who are brought together to deal with global-scale threats, it stands to reason that that would be one team containing all the top-level people at once. Both the JL and the Avengers are broad enough and permeable enough that I think they'd end up being the same team if the universes coexisted. Unless, as I said, they specialized in dealing with different levels and types of threat, or different regions of the world.


Seeing Captain America with the JSA would be my dream team.
Oh, that's a neat idea. How about Spider-Man on the Titans?


Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The thing is, that typically the JLA grossly overpowers the Avengers on most days. When the JLA is composed primarily of the A listers there is no way that the Avengers can compete.
What Avengers are you talking about? Okay, the movie team only has two full-fledged superbeings, Thor and Hulk, while Iron Man's armor makes him one of the heavy hitters. But the animated series roster (sticking to what I'm familiar with) includes other powerful characters. Ms./Captain Marvel is quite powerful, with a power set largely analogous to Superman's. Giant-Man is quite powerful. The Vision could give the Martian Manhunter a run for his money. Black Panther's superscience is formidable. And in the comics you've got other characters like Wolverine, who's indestructible, and Scarlet Witch, who can alter reality itself.


What I could see happening team wise is that the merged universe would in someway match the new 52 status quo with the JL supplanting the Avengers as the A list premier team that saves the world and the Avengers becoming the preferred team of the government/UN thus replacing either the JLI or Stormwatch (or the upcoming New JLA). I such a situation I would promote Thor and the Hulk to the JL and possibly demoting Cyborg.
That could work.


I still don't understand why people think that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark would be hostile to each other?
I'm only thinking they might start out that way as business competitors until they recognize they're on the same side as heroes. Then they'd be allies. Whether they got along personally would be another matter, though.


What I could also see is an underground war between Lexcorp and Oscorp. Both are the largest companies in ther respective universes and run by brilliant scientist supervillians who have at some point been President of the United States.
Osborn was president? I remember him being in charge of Homeland Security or something, but I don't remember that.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:44 AM   #55
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Osborn was head of HAMMER, the organization that replaced SHIELD briefly.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:48 AM   #56
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Which isn't the President as far as I know.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:25 AM   #57
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

I'd see Nick Fury as Amanda Waller's early Mentor. Perhaps SHIELD replaces Checkmate and all those other DC secret government groups? Freedom Force and the Suicide Squad are pretty much the same thing.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 06:24 PM   #58
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo Bay
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
That's just silly. "Bragging rights"? Sheesh. I see no reason why both teams can't co-exist as sometime allies with a friendly rivalry.
Try telling that to a city with more than one team in a pro sport. I defy you to tell a Mets fan that getting bragging rights over the Yankees would be silly.

Look, I'm talking about an item on my merger wish list. You want all the teams to sit around a fire and sing Cumbaya? Fine.

I prefer Marvel over DC. I like the Avengers more than the Justice League. If the Big Squeeze happens and suddenly the universes collide I want my favorite superteam to be the top dog team. If that comes only after a "friendly" ass-kicking of the other superteam, so much the better, because seeing the battle would be FUN!

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The thing is, that typically the JLA grossly overpowers the Avengers on most days. When the JLA is composed primarily of the A listers there is no way that the Avengers can compete.
Yes, that's the conventional wisdom, but in real life small, light forces find ways to defeat large, powerful ones constantly, and in an objective universe the JLA's power advantage wouldn't be any guarantee of victory. It's always been my contention that the ultimate outcome of a battle between the two groups would depend entirely on who's in charge at the time.

But either way, I want to see the battle fought.
__________________
"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRRRORRRUNNK!"

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 08:49 PM   #59
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

^Dr. Duid was an awesome leader of the Avengers and would have led the team to victory easily...ok maybe not. With the exception of the Detroit years(and even then the Martian Manhunter was calling the shots) leadership of the JL has always been pretty solid. Perhaps the Great Lakes Avengers vs Justice League Antarctica would be more entertaining.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 12:36 AM   #60
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Uni-Versal Comics

Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dc comics, marvel comics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.