Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 4 2012, 10:05 PM   #136
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Gaiman's version of Death appeared in Incredible Hulk 418, at the wedding of Rick Jones and Marlo Chandler. Peter David asked permission from Gaiman who approved, but PAD was ultimately given an odd condition about how she appears.

Read about it here (second legend down).
From the page reprinted:

"I better take off before that Thanos creep shows up."
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:13 PM   #137
Christopher
Writer

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
I'd like to see Jarvis and Alfred go down the pub and have a massive piss up whilst moaning about their cranky millionaire playboy superhero bosses.
Interesting thing: Originally, before Alfred was given the Pennyworth surname in the '70s, he was referred to once or twice in the '40s or '50s as Alfred Jarvis! Maybe in a merged universe, they could be half-brothers or something.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:23 AM   #138
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Darkseid would have him in tossed in the fire pits.
But the battle would have left him drained enough for Thanos to move in and conquer the planet! MWAHHAHAHAHA!
Nah, Darkseid has minions who do things like toss upstarts into fire pits. He doesn't dirty his hands with riff raff and knock offs.
Old December 5 2012, 02:26 AM   #139
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Darkseid would have him in tossed in the fire pits.
But the battle would have left him drained enough for Thanos to move in and conquer the planet! MWAHHAHAHAHA!
Nah, Darkseid has minions who do things like toss upstarts into fire pits. He doesn't dirty his hands with riff raff and knock offs.
Or he just kills them with his Omega Beams.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:50 AM   #140
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

You guys keep talking about Thanos like he's a lightweight. He's the Darkseid of the Eternals.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:00 AM   #141
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

And Darkseid is actually Darkseid.
Old December 5 2012, 03:39 AM   #142
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Darkseid was a Kirby creation. He could just as easily have been created for the Marvel universe and would have fit in quite nicely.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:31 AM   #143
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Not really since that would have necessitated the cancellation and death of all the characters in Thor.

Plus I don't think Roy Thomas and Stan Lee would have permitted some of the background characters in Mister Miracle.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:07 PM   #144
the G-man
Commodore

Solsticequaze wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
^The fanboy's point is noted.
Although I'm speaking not as a "fanboy," but as a casual observer who has only a passing familiarity with either character.
Fair enough, I have to admit only a passing familiarity with Gaiman's Death character. No offense meant by the 'fanboy' comment.

the G-man wrote: View Post
My point was less about what does or doesn't take precedent in an imaginary crossover and more about responding to the point you seemed to have made.

You had stated that perky Goth Death was only one aspect of Death. In response, I pointed out that her creator said she wasn't an aspect of Death but was, in fact, Death. Unless and until DC or Gaiman undoes that, that's the current status of the character, as sure as Superman is the survivor of the doomed planet Krypton, or Batman is an orphaned millionaire.

I suppose, yes, if DC and Marvel were to somehow merge they could, hypothetically, overrule Gaiman's interpretation of his own character. However, until that happens, I'm going to stick with the character as she is, as written by her creator, not as someone might like to see her.
Your point that Gaiman's Death was the Death of the DC universe is all well and good, but it came across (to me at least) that you're were saying she would be on a higher eshelon than any other representation of Death should those universes be merged.
My apologies. I thought you were talking about Death pre-merger.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:26 PM   #145
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
I'd like to see Jarvis and Alfred go down the pub and have a massive piss up whilst moaning about their cranky millionaire playboy superhero bosses.
Interesting thing: Originally, before Alfred was given the Pennyworth surname in the '70s, he was referred to once or twice in the '40s or '50s as Alfred Jarvis! Maybe in a merged universe, they could be half-brothers or something.
I may be misremembering, but I believe that originally he was just referred as "Alfred" and his father was named "Jarvis" (Not sure if this was meant to be first or last name). Later he was called "Alfred Beagle" and then "Alfred Pennyworth"
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:44 PM   #146
Christopher
Writer

I used to wonder why Alfred was never given a last name on the '66 TV series. Now I know it's because the comics hadn't yet coined the Pennyworth name, and the others were used too briefly.

But Commissioner Gordon was never given a first name on that series either. When was he first called James/Jim in the comics?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:48 PM   #147
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

If Thanos wasn't effectively immortal and invulnerable the omega beams might leave some sort of lasting impression on him.

Thanos is generally shown to be a bit more strategically and tactically intelligent than Darkseid with a power level on par with him.

the G-man wrote: View Post
My apologies. I thought you were talking about Death pre-merger.
And I thought you were talking post-merger. Faults on both sides let's say.
Old December 5 2012, 05:14 PM   #148
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

But Commissioner Gordon was never given a first name on that series either. When was he first called James/Jim in the comics?
Not sure how helpful this is...

DC Database wrote:
Old December 5 2012, 05:43 PM   #149
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Solsticequaze wrote: View Post
If Thanos wasn't effectively immortal and invulnerable the omega beams might leave some sort of lasting impression on him.

Thanos is generally shown to be a bit more strategically and tactically intelligent than Darkseid with a power level on par with him.
I don't think the Omega Beams respect things like invulnerability and immortality. They pretty much wipe you from existence.

Darkseid often plays a long game, so I think he has strategy and tactics well covered.
Old December 5 2012, 05:50 PM   #150
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Omega beams are just the seeking mechanism for the actual Omega Effect that he possesses.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote