RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 431
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 28 2012, 12:44 AM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: storm and floods in GB - is everyone ok?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
There is, if I wanted to leave the house at 6.45am, stand around in the cold and rain as it is late every day, spend 70 minutes on the bus each way, pay £6 a day, and cope with the regular driver's strikes.
Sounds like paradise, compared to Public transport in Bavaria!
When we get good weather [...]there is nowhere I would rather be.
I'll definitely put Falmouth on my to-see list for my next vacation in GB It sounds like an awesome place to visit.

Bridge foundations are always the weak point in a flood because they usually aren't wide enough and so instead of running between the two ends of the bridge, the water hits them with full force, often carving them out of the surrounding soil. Also, fallen trees and other debris tend to get caught in bridges, they block the water's path and increase the pressure so that the bridges often get torn away as a whole. What really makes me furious is people standing on bridges and watching the flood. It's so damned risky!
You would think they would know better, after all it was only a couple of years ago when parts of Cumbria flooded, that a bridge gave way, costing the life of a Police Officer who was directing traffic off the bridge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8369934.stm
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I am not sure about the situation in GB, but over here in Germany a main reason for the floods worsening is surface sealing. The more ground is sealed up by buildings, roads, parking lots etc, the less water can filter into the soil. Consequently, it has to run off the surface, such flooding the sewers and rivers.
The overall amount of water stays the same, but it doesn't get sucked up by the soil anymore and then given off slowly, but runs into the rivers almost immediately, causing very quick and high floods which fortunately also ebb off very quickly.

A second factor in the problem is that many rivers and streams got straightened to make more room for farms and settlements. This results in a shortening of the riverbeds. They still have to deal with the same amount of water, though, and so the water level rises.
A side effect that worsens the floods even more is that a curved riverbed slows down the water speed while a straight one is like a highway for the water. This increases the speed of floods, making it difficult to escape them in time.

What we need is more swamps and wetlands that act as sponges, a complete stop of channelizing rivers and streams and nationwide restaurations of the original curved river and stream structure. Plus a lot of retention basins and ponds.
Old November 28 2012, 11:02 AM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well that's part of the reason more concreate, building on flood plains etc.. Another I think is just the volume of water that's been falling as rain. The ground has absorbed as much water as it can.

We've also had some of the wettest months on record this year, and not many hot (well hot for the UK) periods to help dry.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old November 28 2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah people paving over the gardens to create driveways doesn't help, but we have had a lot of rain this year. Odd that at the start of the year all the talk was of hosepipe bans and water shortages. Oh how we laughed...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:53 AM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Wait till next year, when they bring them in. After all they'll say it didn't rain in the right area.
Old November 28 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

we had the opposite problem in 1999/2000 when a terrible draught followed a flood year. I saw a wonderful cartoon back then: Chancellor standing on a stage in a dry riverbed, proudely claiming: "my government's flood preventing policy works perfectly!"

The last 3 years have been extraordinarily dry in Bavaria. We've only had some 25 or 30 rainy days this year in my district (drizzle included). And about 20 thunderstorms and 6 hailstorms.
Paradoxely, draughts can cause floods, too: extremely dry soil is unable to suck the water up. It runs off the surface as if it were glazed.
Old November 28 2012, 06:29 PM   #22
cultcross
Say my name...

I live halfway up a steep hill so once I was in danger from floods we'd be collecting two of every animal. However, my drive to work has been... soggy the last week, and I spent all Monday night helping a friend sweep water out of his living room in Congressbury.

What a crap winter.
Old November 28 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I'm in Exeter, and the River Exe was scarily high a few days ago. The city was last flooded badly in 1960, after which the current flood defences were built. They work well for my part of the city, but on either side of the defences there was bad flooding. Both main line train lines out of Exeter towards London were closed, the Waterloo line due to a landslip near Yeovil, and the Bristol-Paddington line because of severe flooding just outside the main station. The flood water had receded now, but the damage to the track bed will still take several days to fix.

It worries me that flooding this bad has happened so early in the season. Thankfully the next few days should stay dry, but the ground may remain sodden for much longer, so any further heavy rain may be disastrous.
Old November 28 2012, 09:01 PM   #24
cultcross
Say my name...

Promisingly, the forecast appears to have switched from 'wet' to 'cold'.
Old November 28 2012, 10:00 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it's starting to freeze in this neck of the country, had to scrape some ice of my car before I could leave work.
Old November 28 2012, 10:46 PM   #26
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

Fortunately we live pretty high up and the most that's happened is a couple of hour long powercuts (which have stopped). I really feel for anyone who's been flooded, it must be awful.

I hate the rain, so I probably live in the wrong country, but at least it was sunny & dry today.

I've never been to your area (but would love to!) but judging by the maps there are many hills around, some of which look quite steep. Do you get landslides or is the soil solid enough to stay in place?
There have been one or two small ones near where I live but it's only a bit mud/stone etc on the side of the road, nothing serious that I've seen.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:02 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the UK basically has these season

A Warmish and Wet Season (spring)
A Warm and Wet Season (Summer)
A Cool and Wet Season (Autumn)
A Cold and Wet Season (Winter)
Old November 29 2012, 09:54 AM   #28
Starkers
Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
Promisingly, the forecast appears to have switched from 'wet' to 'cold'.
And apprently back to wet next week

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 10:04 AM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

Just expect rain or worse in the UK and all you can be is pleasntly suprised if the weather turns out nice.
Old November 29 2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well the UK basically has these season

A Warmish and Wet Season (spring)
A Warm and Wet Season (Summer)
A Cool and Wet Season (Autumn)
A Cold and Wet Season (Winter)
You live in the wrong part of GB, apparently. I've been to Britain pretty often over the last 15 years and it rained only once. For a week, though.

Your rain arrived in Bavaria this morning. Just in time for me to get soaked on my way to work LOL. Atm it's snowing and the forecast predicts more snow and frost for the weekend. The river has already risen quite impressively, but I don't expect major flooding.

My appartment is in a pentouse on top of a shopping mall, so I am quite safe anyway and the only danger is that I might raid the sweets store that's right under my terrace