RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 553
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old December 9 2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The F'd Up Moral in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

Some may take the moral as being something along the lines of "everyone has something to contribute so don't pick on people for being different" or some such nonsense.

First of all, why are Santa's reindeer such assholes? I'd think he would've raised them a bit better than that.

Secondly, I see the "moral", "lesson" or whatever in it to be more along the lines of "people won't like you until you can do something for them."

Rudolph is just another reindeer, a working stiff like all of the others though not in active use. But he has a glowing nose so he's outcast from the group and wildly made fun of by his peers. But then that foggy night comes and he's called upon to help by Santa. Fair enough, the song doesn't suggest Santa outcast Rudolph any so Rudolph steps up and helps Santa out.

Then all of the other reindeer loved Rudolph and shouted in glee. Because now Rudolph's freaky birth defect is useful. So now, of course, he's loved. Screw them.

But, remember kids, people only love you when you can help them out.
Old December 9 2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Goji
Rear Admiral

Re: The F'd Up Moral in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

Well, at least it's truthful...
Old December 9 2010, 11:45 PM   #3
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Rudolph was very much a product of when it was made. Boys were boys and girls were girls, and don't dare step out of a zone of behavior or your place. Those different were (as they often are today) shunned and ostracized. As a kid, I could relate to Rudolph, the cliques, even of childhood, are brutal. Hell, they still are. Nothing has changed except we're not so patronizing to women anymore.

The lessons taught kids watching Rudolph were: It's OK to be different, everyone (except women, stay in your place bitches) has value, don't prejudge.

It was a typical offering. Most of the kiddie Christmas shows had lessons to teach:
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Sometimes the rules are stupid and fight to change them until you win.
- Charlie Brown Christmas. Even a loser gets to win once in a while.
- The Grinch. Open up your heart and don't be a loner.
- Frosty the Snowman. The bad guy will lose. (Bad lesson as that doesn't always happen.)

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old December 10 2010, 12:23 AM   #4
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Wassail Drunk wrote: View Post
Some may take the moral as being something along the lines of "everyone has something to contribute so don't pick on people for being different" or some such nonsense.

[...]

Secondly, I see the "moral", "lesson" or whatever in it to be more along the lines of "people won't like you until you can do something for them."
Isn't it wonderful how a cynical view of the world can influence interpretation of harmless stories?
Old December 10 2010, 12:27 AM   #5
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Wassail Drunk wrote: View Post
Then all of the other reindeer loved Rudolph and shouted in glee. Because now Rudolph's freaky birth defect is useful. So now, of course, he's loved. Screw them.
What th--? You mean there's a story where the characters start out in a negative light and then experience events that teach them a lesson that results in self improvement? That's fucked up.
Old December 10 2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Dukat's Major
Commander

I like to think of all these Christmas kid movies as terrifying nightmares that I shall one day, if the scary Winter and Summer and Santa Gods allow, forget.
Old December 10 2010, 02:36 AM   #7
Beef Squatthrust
Fleet Captain

Seriously.. Hasn't this thread been put up every Christmas season for the past three years by Trekker? I was expecting this thread again, just not by you.
for all my days remaining..."
Old December 10 2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Lookingglassman
Admiral

The other reindeer are racist against Rudolph.
Old December 10 2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

So you want a song about a lazy reindeer that contributes nothing and yet it loved for being a drain on society?

You'll probably have to write that one yourself, I guess. Making this thread every year hasn't inspired anyone else to do it yet.
Old December 10 2010, 05:14 AM   #10
Guartho
Rear Admiral

WHY does the head elf tell Ermie he'll never fit in RIGHT BEFORE he tells him to go back to elf practice so he can learn to fit in!?!? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Sorry.... that bugs me every time. Carry on.

Also, Santa is a major asshole in that movie. "What a shame, he had a nice take-off too." Yep... kids got fantastic potential, but his nose glows so he's now completely worthless.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Old December 10 2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Didn't you post this exact same complaint last year?
Old December 10 2010, 05:56 AM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

Elf Malakai wrote: View Post
Didn't you post this exact same complaint last year?
Well, he's obviously still pissed about it. Why haven't you done anything to fix it?!
Old December 10 2010, 06:08 AM   #13
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
The other reindeer are racist against Rudolph.
There’s an entire race of reindeer with glowing red noses?
Small White Car wrote: View Post
So you want a song about a lazy reindeer that contributes nothing and yet it loved for being a drain on society?
Damn those reindeer welfare queens!
Old December 10 2010, 06:20 AM   #14
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Jingle T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Rudolph was very much a product of when it was made. Boys were boys and girls were girls, and don't dare step out of a zone of behavior or your place. Those different were (as they often are today) shunned and ostracized. As a kid, I could relate to Rudolph, the cliques, even of childhood, are brutal. Hell, they still are. Nothing has changed except we're not so patronizing to women anymore.

The lessons taught kids watching Rudolph were: It's OK to be different, everyone (except women, stay in your place bitches) has value, don't prejudge.

It was a typical offering. Most of the kiddie Christmas shows had lessons to teach:
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Sometimes the rules are stupid and fight to change them until you win.
- Charlie Brown Christmas. Even a loser gets to win once in a while.
- The Grinch. Open up your heart and don't be a loner.
- Frosty the Snowman. The bad guy will lose. (Bad lesson as that doesn't always happen.)
+1
I read the OP and was planning my response. Then I read yours and said, "Yeah, that is what I wanted to say."
Old December 10 2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Small White Car wrote: View Post
Er... no. Not what I said.

One's contribution should have nothing to do with how much, or how little, they are picked on for a birth defect.

You'll probably have to write that one yourself, I guess. Making this thread every year hasn't inspired anyone else to do it yet.
Happy that I'm such a huge part of your life that you keep track of what posts I make every year.