Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 17 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Kenbushway
Captain

Funny little misunderstanding.

My mother decided to pick up KFC Last night, however it didn't go down as normal. She called the manager ahead of time (because it seems like they are always out of chicken when we have KFC). Due to a communication error he then went on the cook $90 worth of food (like 40 pieces of chicken and sides). Now my mother never likes to upset people so she paid the $90. She is a better person than I am because I wouldn't have paid the $90 just what I wanted.

Has this ever happened to you or those you know? Would you pay the $90 or just what you really wanted?
Old December 17 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Funny little misunderstanding.

Calling ahead to reserve fastfood = doing it wrong.
Old December 17 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Snowjourner wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. I remember, some years ago, being admonished by the manager at a Captain D's because I ordered 4 fish dinners in the drive-thru, and he said that I should call ahead for orders that large.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. I remember, some years ago, being admonished by the manager at a Captain D's because I ordered 4 fish dinners in the drive-thru, and he said that I should call ahead for orders that large.
4 dinners is considered a 'large' order?
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

It may be inconvenient to take orders for items that aren't ready to serve. Fried chicken or fish takes just as much time to cook in the restaurant than at home (not counting prep time, which at home may be longer)
It's especially inconvenient in the drive-thru since there may be other customers in line waiting for their order.
Old December 17 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

Bumbles861 wrote: View Post
Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
4 dinners is considered a 'large' order?
For a drive-thru, I'd say so.
Old December 17 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

here's the important question: was it tasty?

i'm sure they could've done something with all that extra chicken. like sell it to other people.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Has this ever happened to you or those you know? Would you pay the $90 or just what you really wanted?
No.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Yep. Though I had done it numerous times before, without incident, and in my defense, they were 4 combo dinners. Just fish and fries, nothing out of the ordinary or special about them. I haven't been back to that Captain D's since. It's not the fact that the manager said anything, it was how he said it. He was not very polite about it. It also didn't help that in the drive thru was a sign that said "Bring home the Captain's Best for your family tonight!". I guess the Captain wasn't at his best.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Had a similar (but opposite) incident waaaaaaay back in high school. We were hosting a debate tournament one Saturday, and one of the teachers called ahead to McDonald's to order around 200 hamburgers and cheesburgers for us to re-sell to the students. Apparently the manager there didn't think it was a real order. At least until I walked in the door with the money and wondering where our order was! Was rather surreal watching them cooking and preparing like mad while counting down the numbers.
Old December 17 2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I must live in a good area for fast food or something (not that that's something to necessarily brag about), because I've never had a place complain about large or custom orders. My family used to order what seemed like a carload of crap from Taco Bell and they never said a word. But, I guess I'm spoiled by eating mostly In N Out for fast food, as special orders are sort of their thing. I can't imagine four dinners being too much for the drive thru - my family had 6 people, and we sure as hell wouldn't have called ahead.

Anyway, there's no way I would have paid the $90. I also hate upsetting people and bringing confrontation, but I hate wasting money even more.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 12:19 AM   #12
teacock
Admiral

I hope you ate it, shared it or froze it and didn't waste it!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
. . . We were hosting a debate tournament one Saturday, and one of the teachers called ahead to McDonald's to order around 200 hamburgers and cheeseburgers for us to re-sell to the students. Apparently the manager there didn't think it was a real order. At least until I walked in the door with the money and wondering where our order was!
Old December 18 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

A hilarious misunderstanding nearly got me chopped up at a fried chicken place once.

I was standing outside smoking while my friends got food, and my friend asked me to hold his cigarette while he ordered. He was taking a while, so I opened the door, held the cigarette in the air and shouted "hurry up Greg, or it's going to burn down!", at which point one of the staff hurdled the counter wielding a meat cleaver and chased me down the road screaming "you no burn down my restaurant, you no burn down my restaurant!!!"
Old December 18 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Oh, I hated the Colonel with his wee beady eyes! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote