RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,160
Posts: 5,344,255
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 717
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25 2012, 06:52 PM   #46
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Gaith wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
the original Alien movie series was headlined by a woman who managed to overcome the odds when her male counterparts ended up as hosts for Facehuggers.
Alien is a horror movie (in which Final Girls are fairly common), a haunted ship in space, not an action movie, and Ripley is certainly no superhuman.

Even in Aliens, which is an action movie, she's still more of a Final Girl than a badass, eventually taking the action lead only because the real tough ones, the Marines, are wounded or killed.
I disagree with the Tropes definition. In Aliens, Ripley was skeptical of the marines from the start, questioning their every decision, then taking command as soon as the first attack occured in the sub-level (ignoring the CO). from that point, she asserted herself throughout the rest of the film, barking orders at a trained soldier (Hudson) and Company sleaze alike (Burke). She was no shrinking violet only finding her strength at the last minute when all else failed (that's more like Barbara in 1968's Night of the Living Dead).

Moreover, no 1980s message of the new brand of female empowerment was as clear as the tease of Ripley using that exoskeleton/mover, only to have her turn it into armored battle gear in the finale--after the planetside scenes of her causing physcial destruction on par with that decade's most criticized violent films, Rambo: First Blood II and Scarface.

The new superwoman had arrived, so much that standing next to an actual superheroine in that era's big screen Supergirl, Ripley appeared to be the bigger super-badass, even without a cape.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 07:13 PM   #47
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
You may not have known who Green Lantern and Iron Man are, but they had a long position in the popular culture in comics, animation and generations of merchandising--
And in no way were bigger names than Wonder Woman. The idea that WW's problem is that her brand recognition isn't at the level of male superheroes only really works when you're discussing Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, characters of that recognition. By the time studios have moved on to Ant-Man and Green Lantern it's no longer a feasible argument.

I find this partially false: the original Alien movie series
May have wanted to read more of the thread here. As I responded to someone who used the example of Cameron's action films (such as, obivously, Aliens):
Kegg wrote: View Post
Well he's right at least Cameron has made action films starring women... decades ago. But I'm not talking about whether or not successful action films with female leads exist (because there are) but that Hollywood believes they would not make the money they want on those pictures.
And this is precisely the paradigm we have here, and why there hasn't been any blockbuster superheroine-starring films for a long time. Hollywood doesn't want to bet on something they consider more likely to lose.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 07:22 PM   #48
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

It is her costume. It doesn't work in real life. Give her a costume more like Wonder Girls (any of them really) and it works better on screen. She needs to save the world in something more than a bathing suit.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 07:27 PM   #49
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Feminism in general is politically incorrect. Only certain kinds of feminism are acceptable and Wonder Woman doesn't fit into any of them. Wonder Woman refusing to kill can work but Wonder Woman as a pacifist makes her superhero movie a non-starter.

And the magic/mythology thing is really hard to work with. I don't know why Thor managed to do such good box office but I do understand why a mediocre screenwriter couldn't really write him into The Avengers.

Uncomfortable cultural politics, clumsy backstory, and yes, a fear that the unwashed don't accept women action heroes, these fears are undoubtedly part of the slowness to pursue the comic book movie gold mine.

But honestly there's a good chance the generally poor economic environment plays a major role in caution.

The best solution of course is to have James Cameron do the WW movie.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 07:46 PM   #50
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

stj wrote: View Post
And the magic/mythology thing is really hard to work with. I don't know why Thor managed to do such good box office
From Superman to Neo to James Bond to the Uncle Bob T-800 to countless others, male supermen/demi-gods are pretty common box office winners.


TREK_GOD_1
, you can quote the plot of Aliens all you like, but the fact remains that, physically speaking, Ripley was no superwoman in either of those first two films. In a fair fight, Hicks, Hudson, or Vasquez would easily have beaten her. It was only through her superior situational experience, Hicks' incapacitation, Hudson's comical ineptness and Vasquez's death that she became the last adult standing. Whereas if Wonder Woman had been part of the expedition, she'd have been the obvious leader from the get-go, and the movie would have been totally different.

... Because she is strong enough to easily beat the crap out of any non-metahuman. And sometimes she can fly. And deflect bullets and all. She'd probably be as scared of a facehugger as a human adult would be a rabid house cat - problematic, maybe, but nothing a solid kick couldn't take care of. It's actually easier to write/get audiences to care for an underdog than a superhuman, which is why we see a lot more thriller heroines than action ones.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 08:20 PM   #51
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

The current Wonder Woman run, in which Greek Gods behave like a community of insane expats in the modern world, would work really well for a TV series, actually.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 09:04 PM   #52
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

I know the studios seem to convinced that a female superhero movie won't work, since most of the other ones that have been done in the past failed. Now I'll admit, I haven't seen Elektra, or Catwoman, but from everything I've heard their failure had nothing to do with the character, and everything to do with the fact that they were bad movies. I really think if they were to actually make a female led superhero movie that was actually as good as Avengers or Dark Knight, then it would make those kinds of money. The secret here would be to get a good writer and/or director who knows how to do strong female heroes, like Joss Whedon. I still wonder if his WW movie didn't get made because it wasn't good, or if it was just because they decided they didn't want to do a WW after all.
The WW animated movie that DC released as part of their DC Universe Animated Movies series proves that with a good story and a good cast, it is possible to get a good WW movie.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:04 AM   #53
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

The Alien series is a useful point of reference not because it has a female lead, but because Fox kept pushing the producers to have a male lead instead. They felt that even the most successful films in the franchise could have done better at the box office with a male lead (the Alien Legacy box set has several interviews that indicate this, especially about Aliens).

As for Catwoman and Elektra failing because they were bad movies, that may be so, but Hollywood has rarely tried to replicate quality, they've tried to replicate formula. Comic book movies with male leads have been successful, while ones with female leads have failed; thus, no more comic book movies with female leads (for as long as Hollywood, with its short memory, remembers those failures).
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:12 AM   #54
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The current Wonder Woman run, in which Greek Gods behave like a community of insane expats in the modern world, would work really well for a TV series, actually.
I'm tihad of ze zame old faces, ze zame old zings.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:13 AM   #55
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Well, what are we debating here, whether a superhero movie with a female lead can succeed or whether they are likely to get greenlit?
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:14 AM   #56
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Everyone points to Ripley and Sarah Connor as strong female characters, and while I agree, they weren't the draw for their movies. People went to see those movies for the Aliens themselves or the killer cyborgs from the future.

For those saying a heavy mythology based superhero movie can't be done... Marvel already beat Warners to the punch with Thor. I think eveyone would agree that Wonder Woman is much more popular than Thor.

I thought Thor and Captain America did as well as expected for superhero movies not named Batman. A decent Wonder Woman movie would make as much money. I doubt it would reach Avengers and the Iron Man levels though, those movies came out at the right place at the right time. Everything came together perfectly for them.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:25 AM   #57
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Dream wrote: View Post
I think eveyone would agree that Wonder Woman is much more popular than Thor.
Wonder Woman may be more widely recognizable than Thor, but I would argue about her "popularity". Her current well-deserved success in the Nu52 is sadly the exception rather than the rule. Historically the WW comic has always struggled to find readers, as her frequent re-inventions can attest. Hardly the sign of a historically "popular" character.

Thor, on the other hand, has largely been a consistently steady, if not always spectacular, selling book.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:32 AM   #58
AvBaur
Captain
 
AvBaur's Avatar
 
Location: Munich, Germany
View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
That said, I cannot believe WW not being supported as a film has anything to do with an avoidance of promiting a female action hero.
Actually, the producers have said as much. I distinctly remember reading quotes by a producer (Joel Silver, I think) saying that the reason they weren't making the Joss Whedon version of WW was that action movies starring women don't work.
This is a typical Hollywood double standard. Nobody would suggest that people don't want to see sci-fi action movies starring handsome, white, straight men anymore just because Green Lantern and John Carter flopped, after all.

When you have script drafts by the writer/director of the third-highest grossing movie of all time and the co-writer of the highest-grossing one and still don't make the movie, there's gotta be other reasons than "we haven't found the right script yet".
__________________
HIPSTERS IN HELL - my webcomic: http://www.hipsters-comic.com
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:34 AM   #59
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

All Wonder Woman needs is some inspired director/writer to sell a great idea to Warner Brothers and get the movie made, so far that's not happened yet.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:37 AM   #60
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Two words that can guarantee a successful Wonder Woman movie: "Nazi Zombies".

No feelings, no morals, no romance... Just Diana ploughing into an endless horde of the undead with her magic sword decapitating and bifurcating the Axis menace.

After the first 10 minutes there's no more bullshit about her sexist costume because you can't see it through the caked gore.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.