Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 5 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Pawleygirl
Ensign

70 years to the Alpha Quadrant?

As a few may have noticed, I've been watching Voyager episodes lately, and someone brought this to my attention. They say that Voyager is over 70,000 light years from the Alpha Quadrant, and Voyager is a vessel capable of sustained flight at Warp 9.975 (which is over 21,000 times the speed of light, or a light year every 25 minutes). So with that said, shouldn't the flight of Voyager back to the Alpha Quadrant take between 3 and 4 years, instead of 70 years like we're told?
Old November 6 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: 70 years to the Alpha Quadrant?

First, there is no definition of what 9.975 really is. Even if you went by the technical manuals (which is pointless), they would still say less than the 21,000 that you say.

Second, while a velocity might be sustainable, that does not make it efficient. With a scarcity of resources, they would be unlikely to sustain such speeds.

Third, they would definitely need to make stops to attain resources. It is unlikely that such a ship could ever be meant to make a voyage meant to last even a few years without refueling.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:42 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Maybe they accounted for having to stop at every other system to check things out?

Seriously though, if you notice they typically cruise at warp 7 or 8 in non-emergency situations. Your car may have a maximum speed of 120 mph, but that doesn't make it gas efficient for example.
Old November 6 2012, 12:45 AM   #4
teacock
Admiral

If it was potentially a ten year trip I wouldn't be stopping at every nebula and taking readings like Janeway does. I wouldn't want to add a year or two through mishap. But since it's 70 years it's kind of a coin toss, you will add some years but every now and then you might save some through a discovery.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:50 AM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

Well based on basic maths from TMP, it would be potentailly around a 50 year trip.

As Vulcan was a 4 day trip from Earth (Speed unknown) as Vulcan is ~16ly from Earth so around 4ly per day.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Dream
Admiral

In Q Who it was stated the Enterprise had been sent 7,000 light years away from the edge of Federation Space. They also said it would take them two years and seven months to get back.

So... Voyager was much slower than the old Enterprise? It should have only taken 30 years.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:08 AM   #7
teacock
Admiral

In space no one can hear you count.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise can travel though voids for longer periods. Voyagers journey has to take constant stayovers with (unknown-alien)population centres into account. So even if they move a little slower, they can chart a much more direct route probably cutting thousands of light years off the entire voyage.

You take the letter O out of the word "count", and what you said above still makes perfect sense Teacake.

Rude.

But perfect sense.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
teacock
Admiral

But that's flaming. You'd have to add an r to the "you" to make it okay.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 02:26 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The 70-year thing isn't meant to be an exact figure, but a very rough estimate or a ball park figurew, IMO. A ship at Warp 9 or so might average about 1000 light-years per year, taking into account periodic stops whenever necessary.

Personally, I think Janeway was being optimistic. I think most ships can only sustain Warp 9 and beyond speeds for a relatively short period of time but will spend most of a voyage around Warp 6 to prevent engine burnout and to conserve fuel.
Old November 6 2012, 03:01 AM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
Well queefing is the action of a vagina creating a vacuum losing integrity sound effect inside the females body... but if you're already in space, creating a vacuum inside a vacuum, that sounds like how you create a magic door into thirdspace.

Lets see how being capable of asking directions helps one of you out from being that turned around looking for a familiar landmark.

Old November 6 2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The 70-year thing isn't meant to be an exact figure, but a very rough estimate or a ball park figurew, IMO. A ship at Warp 9 or so might average about 1000 light-years per year, taking into account periodic stops whenever necessary.

Personally, I think Janeway was being optimistic. I think most ships can only sustain Warp 9 and beyond speeds for a relatively short period of time but will spend most of a voyage around Warp 6 to prevent engine burnout and to conserve fuel.
Considering Seven, made a song and dance about using Borg cartography to cut 3 years off the journey, I think it's a reliably accurate number, and as the years went on, they did reduce the number of years they expected to be in transit in relation against all their short cuts.

Old November 6 2012, 03:19 AM   #13
teacock
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Well queefing is the action of a vagina creating a vacuum losing integrity sound effect inside the females body... but if you're already in space, creating a vacuum inside a vacuum, that sounds like how you create a magic door into thirdspace.

Lets see how being capable of asking directions helps one of you out from being that turned around looking for a familiar landmark.
You don't just hear it, you feel it. Space can't take that away from you and I'd imagine it would be a very good navigation point.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's a manly man thing to say such comments "I listen to my balls" or "I'm letting my balls take the lead" or even in rare occasions "My ball's spider-sense is tingling"... have you ever seen the British Sitcom "How Not to Live Your Life"? The lead in that is always asking his balls questions as if they each had a mind of their own the equal to the one on top of his shoulders (Add it to the list.).

I didn't mean that you could follow your queefs to homespace, but that a queef in a vacuum might open a door into another dimension, perhaps one even with no shrimp.

I meant that after you had left reality as you know it, you might be so lost that asking directions would be pointless, not that your cooch would be a somewhat comparable article to Rudolphs red shiny nose leading Santa back to the pole.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; November 6 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old November 6 2012, 06:58 AM   #15
spot_loves_data
Captain

You don't just hear it, you feel it. Space can't take that away from you and I'd imagine it would be a very good navigation point.
^ Another answer for the "objects to navigate the space ship" thread?
spot_loves_data is offline   Reply With Quote