RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,694
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 502
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 22 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Danlav05
Commander

Could Ambassador Spock return [film/book/comic]?

It would be interesting, be it in a cameo in a future movies (as rumoured) or comics/novels to see the Nimoy version once more.

There was a novel of the character living life in the new timeline, but sadly it was cancelled before publication. If Ongoing could do a story of Spock's new life on the Vulcan colony. Even with new Spock there's going to be the whole issue of Vulcan's absence.

I admit I did enjoy Abrams' movie and still do now, and look forward to Into Darkness.

Going a step further, would it be possible for him to return to his own timeline? I read somewhere it was mooted for Star Trek Online.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Could Ambassador Spock return [film/book/comic]?

If Spock can come back from the dead, then anything's possible.
Old November 22 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Old Spock is mentioned in the opening of Star Trek Ongoing #15. 7-page preview here: http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/20/chec...trek-comic-15/
Scotty mentions that he's "hiding behind some silly non-interference nonsense"

New Vulcan features heavily in the forthcoming Trek videogame, set between STXI and Into Darkness. It comes under Gorn attack. Maybe Nimoy will contribute a voiceover to the game?

He'll almost certainly return in the prime universe novels (the present of which is 2384), after having featured heavily in Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire and a little in Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night which seemed to set up something (most likely a role in the forthcoming 5-book series The Fall)

I'm still hopeful that Greg Cox's The Hazard of Concealing (the post-STXI novel featuring Spock Prime) will one day see the light of day, although I suspect it won't be until JJ Abrams film trilogy is complete and he moves on.
Old November 22 2012, 03:39 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

In comics and books, definitely. In another movie--magic eight ball says unlikely.
Old November 22 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

In books and comics - very likely. Spocks 'katra' would be prized amongst surviving Vulcans as holding much lost knowledge about their lost home. He'd be a major celebrity !

In the films ? Nimoy was asked to guest in the new film, so who knows...
Old November 22 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Danlav05
Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Old Spock is mentioned in the opening of Star Trek Ongoing #15. 7-page preview here: http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/20/chec...trek-comic-15/
Scotty mentions that he's "hiding behind some silly non-interference nonsense"

New Vulcan features heavily in the forthcoming Trek videogame, set between STXI and Into Darkness. It comes under Gorn attack. Maybe Nimoy will contribute a voiceover to the game?

He'll almost certainly return in the prime universe novels (the present of which is 2384), after having featured heavily in Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire and a little in Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night which seemed to set up something (most likely a role in the forthcoming 5-book series The Fall)

I'm still hopeful that Greg Cox's The Hazard of Concealing (the post-STXI novel featuring Spock Prime) will one day see the light of day, although I suspect it won't be until JJ Abrams film trilogy is complete and he moves on.
Indeed, it's still pre-Countdown in the novels.

I hope so too, it sounds like that 4book series was being written, it would be a shame to waste all that effort.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 04:18 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

There was a rumour that Nimoy was going to be in Darkness, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Spock Prime already had a cameo in IDW's ongoing series, although it was in a flashback to the Delta Vega scene in Trek XI. The very same story also said that Spock Prime refuses to allow his knowledge of the future to solve any problems that might pop up.

As for novels, we'll have to wait for Bad Robot to lift their ban on novelsset in the Abramsverse before we can discuss the likelihood of anything happening there.

Last edited by The Wormhole; November 23 2012 at 02:51 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

There is nothing in-universe stopping him from returning. However, whether the film PTB (Abrams, for now) and Nimoy would ever be onboard together for Nimoy's return to the film is doubtful in my opinion. But, yeah -- books and comics? Why not?

Although, who knows? -- Maybe in 40 years, Zach Quinto will agree to play Spock prime opposite some yet-to-be-born young actor playing Spock in some future re-boot of the film series.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:03 PM   #9
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
There was a rumour that Nimoy was going to be in Darkness, so we'll just have to wait and see.
What is the status of this rumor now?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:48 PM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

teacake wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
What is the status of this rumor now?
Well, first there was this, and then a few days later there was this. I'm not sure I recall hearing anything more after that, so I'm tempted to call that rumor dead (if indeed there was ever anything to it in the first place.)
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 12:01 AM   #11
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

OH thanks I missed the tweet part!

Of course if he does appear JJ may well be keeping it a deep secret.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote