Star Trek: Renegades Los Angeles Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 27 2015, 10:21 PM   #1
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp
This is Engineering?

Was this supposed to be main engineering? From the looks of it, it just looks like two consoles blocking the rest of the Jefferies tube. And is Scotty supposed to be looking at the core? This just threw me off a little bit.

My only guess is that the production time was cut really short and they didn't have a chance to redress it like they did for TUC. Thanks.

NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: This is Engineering?

I don't think we need to interpret that as Main Engineering or anything specific. Scotty was putting out bush fires all across the ship; he probably had no time off for visiting his usual workplace, where his little people were pushing the usual buttons for him.

Whether we're supposed to interpret that as something-or-other is a different matter, but I don't see the point. It's actually delightful to see that Scotty doesn't have to crawl on all fours in order to inspect and repair the deeper bowels of his ship, like in TNG!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2015, 11:10 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Well to be fair to TNG we did see the larger Jefferies tubes in TNG's "The Hunted" we also saw smaller jefferies tubes in TOS.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Well, we saw this for all of one camera shot in the first act of the movie. It's no surprise that they re-dressed an existing set for it (IIRC, TNG then inherited the set as its "larger" Jeffries tubes for season three before settling on the crawlspace sets).

In some ways though I'm happier with this than the slapdash "redress" of the TNG Engineering set they did for TUC, leaving the actual warp core as-is while changing the displays, adding a few stickers, and covering up the rest with a crowd of extras wearing movie-era white worksuits. Granted, it was still TECHNICALLY the original TMP Engineering set in the first place, but they barely glossed over the rebuild they did for TNG.

In any case, the TFF set could very well have been just one corner of Engineering. Or the impulse engineering deck, or something. The transcript has Kirk calling the "engine room", but pretty much every incarnation of Trek shows the engine compartment as having multiple areas and levels to play with, and this could easily be one of those for the Enterprise-A.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 12:25 AM   #5
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
In some ways though I'm happier with this than the slapdash "redress" of the TNG Engineering set they did for TUC, leaving the actual warp core as-is while changing the displays, adding a few stickers, and covering up the rest with a crowd of extras wearing movie-era white worksuits. Granted, it was still TECHNICALLY the original TMP Engineering set in the first place, but they barely glossed over the rebuild they did for TNG.
You do indeed make quite a good point here. The sets for engineering in TUC were quite slap dashed and half-arsed. Heck, even in that picture above me you can see LCARS control panels; however Star Trek VI did do a much better job with sickbay in TUC, albeit with the lights turned off when Valeris was about to be exposed. Sickbay TFF had pretty exposed LCARS controls. That was just bad...

NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 01:37 AM   #6
Albertese
Commodore

Meh. It's never bothered me that LCARS had it's roots in the late 2280's.

--Alex
Old March 28 2015, 02:22 AM   #7
ConRefit79
Captain

They should have changed the Light pattern for the TUC redress to make it stand apart. The Warp plasma on the Constitution refit's began on the lower part of the secondary hull. It then travel up all the way to the Impulse deck. But I guess most was diverted down the horizontal conduit when at warp. So the light should have all been rising upward.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Timo
Admiral

...So, basically, what we saw in ST:TMP was the plasma conduits that took the energy from the warp core to the engines.

And what we saw in ST:TUC is the actual warp core itself.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 28 2015, 10:07 AM   #9
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

To be fair, even in 1991 there was no way for the producers to know that decades later people would go through these movies frame by frame looking for the tiniest mistake in detail.

Now that they do know, they compensate. With lens flares.
Old March 28 2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Ithekro
Commodore

No. This is Pod Racing. Wasn't there a momo?
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 06:21 PM   #11
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Ithekro wrote: View Post

No. This is Pod Racing. Wasn't there a momo?
Old March 28 2015, 07:01 PM   #12
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Back in 2005 when I was working with Shane on his revised Scott's Guide pitch to Pocket Books, we ended up putting that area off to the side of the core level.
Old March 28 2015, 07:25 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

Those GNDN pipes and consoles are really awkwardly placed, blocking access where major volume is dedicated to no other purpose except access. One is tempted to think it's the result of the half-baked and hurried refit that turned the old Yorktown into the E-A... Given a few more months, the pipes would have been bent and the consoles integrated to the walls.

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 28 2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Mytran
Commodore

wildstar wrote: View Post
Back in 2005 when I was working with Shane on his revised Scott's Guide pitch to Pocket Books, we ended up putting that area off to the side of the core level.
I like the fresh approach you've taken there! Are there other drawings available from that project?

Timo
, yes I agree; it adds nicely to the "half finished ship" notion.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 07:58 PM   #15
blssdwlf
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
Those GNDN pipes and consoles are really awkwardly placed, blocking access where major volume is dedicated to no other purpose except access. One is tempted to think it's the result of the half-baked and hurried refit that turned the old Yorktown into the E-A... Given a few more months, the pipes would have been bent and the consoles integrated to the walls.
Ditto. It reminded me alot of the random pipes sticking out and across the corridors on the Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine". Very rushed and half-baked.