Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 3 2014, 07:57 PM   #886
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Lol. No I'm not a dogmatist about most things but why would you assume that being dogmatic is an insult? It's just a personality trait. I just thought it would be ironic if you became dogmatic about the definition of dogmatic. ;P

That said, I think I understand and agree with everything in your last post. The trick I suppose is picking the least worst fictional explanation for something scientifically impossible.

I was was just being facetious about the Big Bang i.e. if enough time travellers congregate in one bottleneck time zone they add so much mass that the universe implodes and starts over. Since they would all be arriving simultaneously there would be no chance to rectify their error and BOOM. I'm not expecting to see it in any scientific papers or books now that Douglas Addams is dead...

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 11:30 PM   #887
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Okay -- strictly speaking, in real physics, if you went back in time, you couldn't change anything. As a quantum observer, you're already entangled/correlated with the events of your own timeline, so if you go back into the past, you correlate that past with your own future, and thereby guarantee that the future you perceive will be the one you started from.
So does this basically mean if you go back in time and do something, then you've always gone back and done that, so you aren't actually changing anything? I find all of this stuff confusing.
Old June 4 2014, 11:49 PM   #888
Christopher
Writer

^Essentially, yes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 08:55 PM   #889
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Yeah the past has already happened. You can't suddenly pop into it. If you're there, you've always been there. But with the concept of time being a dimension of which beings such as Q or the Prophets can sit outside, then future has already happened too so if you travel to the future the same rule applies. Time happens everywhen all at once.

Things get screwy if you use beings that can jiggle time around and create a paradox because technically, they can't.

Old June 8 2014, 01:58 AM   #890
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
which just makes me miss Janice. I hope Rand isn't being left out deliberately; she hasn't featured for a while now.
Of course, that could also be an indication that the character may appear or be referenced in the next film.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 02:11 AM   #891
Enterprise1701
Captain

^For the next film Orci had better prove himself a true Star Trek fan by putting in established Star Trek species like Andorians and Tellarites and not all these first-time generic aliens.
Enterprise1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 04:09 AM   #892
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
^For the next film Orci had better prove himself a true Star Trek fan by putting in established Star Trek species like Andorians and Tellarites and not all these first-time generic aliens.
Umm... TOS used Andorians and Tellarites only three times, only once as speaking roles. TNG, DS9, and VGR never used them at all except in occasional passing allusions. Only ENT really embraced and developed them.

If anything, Star Trek has always had a habit of inventing new aliens rather than reusing old ones. Edoans, Vendorians, etc. from TAS, most of the background species from TMP and TVH, countless one-shot races in all the shows... If anything you have it backward, and ignoring previously established aliens in favor of new ones is part of the decades-long tradition of Star Trek. It's a frustrating part, but it's simply incorrect to claim that it's not part of "real" Trek.

Not to mention that it's ridiculous to use a filmmaker's fandom as a gauge of the quality of their work. Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek fan, and people seem to like what he did with it. Indeed, many of the problems with STID were due to excessive fanboyism, like the gratuitous TWOK homages. I'd rather see them tell an original story than just give us another collection of reworkings of familiar characters and situations.

Old June 11 2014, 07:39 AM   #893
Villordsutch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Villordsutch's Twitter Profile

My review of Star Trek Ongoing #34 review over at Flickering Myth - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...r-trek-34.html

Once again Lost Apollo has been a very poor story line.
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 09:10 AM   #894
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Umm... TOS used Andorians and Tellarites only three times, only once as speaking roles. TNG, DS9, and VGR never used them at all except in occasional passing allusions. Only ENT really embraced and developed them.

If anything, Star Trek has always had a habit of inventing new aliens rather than reusing old ones. Edoans, Vendorians, etc. from TAS, most of the background species from TMP and TVH, countless one-shot races in all the shows... If anything you have it backward, and ignoring previously established aliens in favor of new ones is part of the decades-long tradition of Star Trek. It's a frustrating part, but it's simply incorrect to claim that it's not part of "real" Trek.

Not to mention that it's ridiculous to use a filmmaker's fandom as a gauge of the quality of their work. Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek fan, and people seem to like what he did with it. Indeed, many of the problems with STID were due to excessive fanboyism, like the gratuitous TWOK homages. I'd rather see them tell an original story than just give us another collection of reworkings of familiar characters and situations.
I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, I'm a big fan of them re-imaging and expanding on 'established' alien races over yet another random alien. Andorians were allegedly avoided in TNG because they took a deliberate decision to avoid TOS aliens and because they felt that the antennae would look lame. However, I personally have always loved Andorians and their inclusion in ENT was one of the best things about the show.

The flip side is that so-called fanboys will be divided on what they do with those established races. Some people rage at the changes to the Klingon appearance and I personally was unimpressed at the suggestion that Caitians shave to look sexier to humans.

On balance I come down on the side of them re-using 'classic' aliens more often in both the movies and the comics. I'm a fan of the assorted Rec Deck scene in TMP.

Old June 11 2014, 06:20 PM   #895
Enterprise1701
Captain

Yeah, I don't understand how Damon Lindelof can say that the two cat girls in Star Trek Into Darkness were Caitians. I think it almost makes the whole white Khan situation pale by comparison.
Old June 11 2014, 06:39 PM   #896
Christopher
Writer

^I think what happened was that they were intended by at least some of the production team to be Caitians but the decision was made to give them a simpler makeup.

Old June 11 2014, 08:47 PM   #897
Markonian
Captain

I think it almost makes the whole white Khan situation pale by comparison.

It wasn't mentioned on screen whether they were Caitians. Let's take a wait-and-see approach whether it will be addressed again or whether the twins were one-shots. Calling them Caitians was to please a fan. It happend before, with the question whether Porthos was still alive. I wouldn't take all of that too seriously. It can still be confirmed or retconned.
Old June 12 2014, 07:48 AM   #898
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Yeah, I don't understand how Damon Lindelof can say that the two cat girls in Star Trek Into Darkness were Caitians. I think it almost makes the whole white Khan situation pale by comparison.
They're Brazilian Catians. M'ress wore the look for a little while herself in Passage to Moauv:
Old June 12 2014, 10:56 AM   #899
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Villordsutch wrote: View Post
My review of Star Trek Ongoing #34 review over at Flickering Myth - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...r-trek-34.html

Once again Lost Apollo has been a very poor story line.

I have to agree. That story was boring and inconclusive.
Old June 12 2014, 06:09 PM   #900
Enterprise1701
Captain

I'd issue some kind of threat about if they screw up The Q Gambit, but in the absence of more visual Star Trek (besides Star Trek Online, which I have different complaints about), I have no motivation to stop paying attention to the ongoing comic series.