Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 26 2014, 10:57 PM   #796
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
I wonder the machine planet designed him with anything like vision for more spectra than the visible or great strength.
I would assume his eyes are better than humans' eyes. And most non-humans in Trek are stronger than humans.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:37 AM   #797
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I really liked the idea of an origin story about this character, but the end felt a little rushed:

Anyway, this comic two parter would have made a great tv two parter!
Old April 27 2014, 10:27 PM   #798
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Every time IDW does a two-parter it seems like people complain it shoulda been a three-parter. Four-parters shoulda been five-parters. Six-parters shoulda been five-parters. People screaming that subplots are either absent or "just filler". And so on. Madness!

For me, finishing the "I, Enterprise" two-parter with "The End for now" suggests that there is definitely more to come for Science Officer 0718, but perhaps not more detail until after the next movie?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:33 PM   #799
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Y'know I wonder where this machine planet was in the prime reality. Maybe the Klingons encountered it first, lost some ships to it, and then brought a task force to annihilate it?
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 05:12 PM   #800
Wadjda
Commander

I hope it shows up in the next movie.
Old May 11 2014, 08:45 AM   #801
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Every time IDW does a two-parter it seems like people complain it shoulda been a three-parter. Four-parters shoulda been five-parters. Six-parters shoulda been five-parters. People screaming that subplots are either absent or "just filler". And so on. Madness!

For me, finishing the "I, Enterprise" two-parter with "The End for now" suggests that there is definitely more to come for Science Officer 0718, but perhaps not more detail until after the next movie?
I think generally most of the two-parters have had over-simplistic, rushed conclusions, whereas I've felt that all the 4-parters have been fairly satisfying. A few of the shorter stories have worked well but mostly it has felt like they've squandered some really great ideas. The one-shot redshirts springs to mind as a really well done shorter story so it does depend on the material but for sci fi, I think one issue to set up and one issue to conclude leaves little room to tell a decent story with any character development. We end up with a story that is about character development or we end up with a brief sci fi story and I think that those elements work better if combined in one longer story most of the time.

As far as this story goes, we only scratched the surface of the new character with almost no exploration of the sci fi elements beyond brief peril. It was enjoyable enough but I was hungry for more.

Loving the artwork though.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:14 PM   #802
Wadjda
Commander

The art improved compared to the first issues a lot.
Old May 13 2014, 02:37 AM   #803
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just got caught up with the collections of this series. After Darkness was horrible. Bad art, a pretty odd storyline that didn't make a lick of sense, really. (Somehow the Vulcans missed that an essential reproductive practice was thrown off? Come on...) Khitomer Conflict was actually pretty good, if perhaps possessing too many moving parts that didn't all come together. (Sulu's sister could have been planted earlier in the series. Perhaps in place of that worthless Gorn issue?)

I think 4-parters would better suit the series. The two-parters were too pared down to be very good. Khitomer Conflict had a nice balance of plot and character beats.
Old May 13 2014, 03:36 AM   #804
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Just got caught up with the collections of this series. After Darkness was horrible. Bad art, a pretty odd storyline that didn't make a lick of sense, really. (Somehow the Vulcans missed that an essential reproductive practice was thrown off? Come on...) Khitomer Conflict was actually pretty good, if perhaps possessing too many moving parts that didn't all come together. (Sulu's sister could have been planted earlier in the series. Perhaps in place of that worthless Gorn issue?)

I think 4-parters would better suit the series. The two-parters were too pared down to be very good. Khitomer Conflict had a nice balance of plot and character beats.
I concur. Greater issue length would be a major improvement to this series.
Old May 19 2014, 12:57 AM   #805
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

I was already pretty intrigued by the introduction of Q, but this looks like a must pick up for me:

http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...-gambit-part-2
Old May 19 2014, 02:00 AM   #806
Danlav05
Commander

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I was already pretty intrigued by the introduction of Q, but this looks like a must pick up for me:

It looks to me they'll be visiting the Prime Universe? This looks to be very fun - I wonder if Q introduces them to characters from all of the series?

Also 'what has become of the space station once known as Deep Space Nine... and the man called Benjamin Sisko?' is this post 'What You Leave Behind'?

Either way this should be a lot of fun!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:20 AM   #807
Nightowl1701
Captain

No, what they're visiting is the late 24th century of their universe. DS9 (a Bajoran-made station) and Benjamin Sisko are far enough removed from the Kelvin branching off that they won't look that different from their Prime selves. How the latter might act is a different story.

And all bets are off as far as to the appearance of the Abramsverse versions of the Defiant and the Enterprise D/E...
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:22 AM   #808
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post

It looks to me they'll be visiting the Prime Universe? This looks to be very fun - I wonder if Q introduces them to characters from all of the series?

Also 'what has become of the space station once known as Deep Space Nine... and the man called Benjamin Sisko?' is this post 'What You Leave Behind'?

Either way this should be a lot of fun!
Actually it sounds like they are visiting the JJverse's version of the 24th century.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:34 AM   #809
Christopher
Writer

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
It looks to me they'll be visiting the Prime Universe?
Well, the description specifically says, "Kirk and the Enterprise crew are thrust into the future of their new timeline." That implies it's meant to be the Abramsverse 24th century -- unless "new timeline" is from the characters' perspective rather than ours.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 03:56 AM   #810
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

If this is indeed the 24th century of the Abramsverse, then I'm surprised that Roberto Orci and his film crew have let the comics go this far.