Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 6 2014, 12:43 AM   #781
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
At least the klingons look more like klingons than the caitians look like caitians
They were scripted as Caitians but, in interviews, the actresses described being put in all manner of appliances that weren't used, including felinoid ears. So just 'cos the script says they're Caitians doesn't mean they are.

Similarly, the Andorian thrall in James Blish's novelization of "Gamesters of Triskelion" is a red-skinned alien with a flap of flesh for a nasal covering (perhaps originally scripted that way?), and Thelin the Andorian of "Yesteryear" is scripted as blue, not grey.

Billy Van Zandt's species was described in publicity materials as "a Rhaandarite", but originally scripted as a "high-domed Vegan", and the actor didn't know of the Rhaaandarite term being coined until the commercial material started coming out for the film's premiere. During filming, he was a Vegan and a "Bumphead".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 01:11 AM   #782
Enterprise1701
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
the Gorn Hegemony native to Milkyway?
Is there canonical evidence that they are native to the Milky Way?
Not canonically http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gorn but the Gorn Hegemony is definitely not extragalactic as the "Gorn" in the video game are.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 01:20 AM   #783
Christopher
Writer

Is there canonical evidence that they are native to the Milky Way?
The burden of proof generally lies with the extraordinary claim, not the ordinary one. By analogy, a show set on present-day Earth doesn't have to prove that its characters are native to Earth. It's the opposite claim that demands proof.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 09:16 PM   #784
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
The Klingon in STID could have been any other race, he does't even remotely look Klingon!
And Koloth of TOS does? Looks more like the Squire of Gothos to me!

How about the forehead on Colonel Worf? (ST VI)

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Not canonically http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gorn but the Gorn Hegemony is definitely not extragalactic as the "Gorn" in the video game are.
But if someone comes along and says, in an episode or movie, that the Gorn we met in "Arena" had once entered the Milky Way and settled here, is there anything to say that they couldn't have done so?

Christopher wrote: View Post
The burden of proof generally lies with the extraordinary claim, not the ordinary one. By analogy, a show set on present-day Earth doesn't have to prove that its characters are native to Earth. It's the opposite claim that demands proof.
I wasn't asking for proof, I was simply curious if any canonical evidence precluded the Gorn of TOS from being of extragalactic origin?
Old April 7 2014, 08:51 PM   #785
Enterprise1701
Captain

And Koloth of TOS does? Looks more like the Squire of Gothos to me!

How about the forehead on Colonel Worf? (ST VI)

But if someone comes along and says, in an episode or movie, that the Gorn we met in "Arena" had once entered the Milky Way and settled here, is there anything to say that they couldn't have done so?
Yes, I suppose so. Although if you adhere to the depiction of the Gorn in the Pocket novels, an extragalactic origin would just be pointless for them. The Gorn species went from stone age to warp age on Gornar just as any other contemporary species did as far as the historical record can tell. Plus, Gorn mythology has nothing that could be linked to an extragalactic migration.
Old April 7 2014, 09:19 PM   #786
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Although if you adhere to the depiction of the Gorn in the Pocket novels...
Why would they do that?

The Gorn could have suffered the same type of societal fracture that the Vulcans and Romulans did in the past. Either one found there way from the Milky Way or to it.
Old April 8 2014, 02:07 AM   #787
Enterprise1701
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Although if you adhere to the depiction of the Gorn in the Pocket novels...
Why would they do that?
Well I can't speak to potential storytelling opportunities, but the Gorn in the novels are just an ordinary Alpha/Beta Quadrant reptilian spacefaring species.
Old April 23 2014, 03:23 AM   #788
Enterprise1701
Captain

The preview for issue #32 of IDW's ongoing comic series, "I, Enterprise Part 2", showed up earlier today on the official Star Trek website along with a 7 page preview and a repeat of the blurb.

http://www.startrek.com/article/i-enterprise-concludes

IDW Publishing’s Star Trek #32, due out on Wednesday, will serve as the concluding chapter of "I, Enterprise." The story finds the flagship of the fleet a sentient entity with a mind of its own... and it doesn't take kindly to the biological "invaders" within its hull. It’s up to Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew to fight an enemy upon which their very survival depends.
I don't know how, but I'm actually psyched for an Abramsverse comic after seeing the preview!
Old April 23 2014, 04:02 AM   #789
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

So this is how 0718 was "born"?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 08:47 AM   #790
Villordsutch
Lieutenant

View Villordsutch's Twitter Profile

Star Trek #32 I, Enterprise Part 2 of 2 review.

Villordsutch wrote:
After a rather fantastic introduction to 0718 (see Issue #31) – a living, breathing Starship Enterprise brought to life by a rogue computer program brought on board after a visit to a pure black sphere floating silently in space – we quickly are brought to the concluding part of this story given to us by the current Star Trek scribe Mike Johnson (with overseer Roberto Orci still circling above). Though we’re given a fairly good piece due to elements I’m guessing are beyond Mike Johnson’s control, it’s not quite excellent.

The story is good, if not a bit Trek fan flammable as we have here a civilisation that has transcended they frailties of the biological form a million years back to become mere one constantly connected form of energy. It is currently in the process of assisting the Enterprise to remove the infestation (the humans) from the ship whilst at the same time assimilating the Ent...
Full article - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...r-trek-32.html
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 03:53 AM   #791
Therin of Andor
Admiral

I picked up Part 2 of IDW's "I, Enterprise", about Crewman 0718, on Thursday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We've certainly seen this kind of story before in Trek: the Ilia Probe in TMP; the Enterprise-D's computer achieving sentience in "Emergence" (TNG); the Borg Drone they called One, who came from the EMH's mobile emitter, Seven's nanoprobes and Mulcahey's DNA (VOY's "Drone"); Morgan Primus's most recent guise in "New Frontier" novels and comics; and the holographic avatar of a ship's computer in "Titan: Synthesis", fashioned after Minuet.

But this story works well. I'm thrilled we got to know more about 0718. I hadn't really expected a backstory to unfold already, and thought Bad Robot may have done a little more with him in the next movie first.
Old April 26 2014, 04:00 AM   #792
Enterprise1701
Captain

0718 was one of my favorite parts of Star Trek Into Darkness. I actually like an IDW comic for once because of him although 0718's origin story could have taken more issues.

So is 0718 supposed to be a cybernetically-enhanced artificial human, a newly-created artificial member of the machine planet's creators, or a unique individual? Or something else? Cause on first pages we see him completely naked but he doesn't seem to have any male genitalia as most Federation humanoids in theory have.
Old April 26 2014, 04:13 AM   #793
Christopher
Writer

^The excerpt said the body was created from the ship's transplant-tissue stores, which would make him an android in the original sense of the word, a created biological humanoid like a Blade Runner replicant or Frankenstein's Monster -- though I'd assume the brain is cybernetic. As for the anatomical depiction, that could be artistic license; it wouldn't be the first time that cartoonists rendering a naked body chose to omit the genitalia.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 07:36 AM   #794
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Cause on first pages we see him completely naked but he doesn't seem to have any male genitalia
"It's very cold in space..."
Old April 26 2014, 10:44 PM   #795
Enterprise1701
Captain

I wonder the machine planet designed him with anything like vision for more spectra than the visible or great strength.