Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 27 2014, 10:01 PM   #751
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Still though, if Roberto Orci himself oversees the IDW Abramsverse comics, then to me, that is a significant contradiction.
Not really. He's a very busy film and TV producer, so he could only devote a limited amount of time and attention to such oversight. He may be able to keep on the same page with Johnson where the broad strokes are concerned, but not be able to devote enough attention to get all the details straight. We saw something similar with the original run of Dell Babylon 5 novels: J. Michael Straczynski tried to ride herd on them and keep them canonical, but he was too busy with the show to catch every detail, and so ultimately only two of them -- including the one written by his own wife -- were accurate enough to be considered canonical. It wasn't until the show was over and he was no longer so busy that he was able to give the books his full attention.

Not to mention that Orci is not the top decision-maker on the films themselves, just one member of the team. So he could okay something for the comics, believing it to be consistent with a film as it stands at the time, but then Abrams could change his mind about something three weeks later and create a contradiction too late for the comic to do anything about it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 08:42 PM   #752
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Well here's what I've gathered about alternate reality dates

#18 "The Voice of a Falling Star" set entirely before Star Trek 2009; begins with Uhura in class with Spock; "several months later" depicts Spock and Uhura's first mind meld to Uhura's childhood; no stardate given

2257 check this http://www.idwpublishing.com/startrek/timelines.php
Old April 1 2014, 04:37 AM   #753
Enterprise1701
Captain

Malaika wrote: View Post
Well here's what I've gathered about alternate reality dates

#18 "The Voice of a Falling Star" set entirely before Star Trek 2009; begins with Uhura in class with Spock; "several months later" depicts Spock and Uhura's first mind meld to Uhura's childhood; no stardate given

2257 check this http://www.idwpublishing.com/startrek/timelines.php
This chart puts After Darkness in 2259, though. In my opinion, that's too much of a stretch for "nearly a year ago" if Star Trek Into Darkness's main story took place at the end of February.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:56 PM   #754
Christopher
Writer

This chart puts After Darkness in 2259, though.
Which can't be right, because STID ended in 2260. But as we know, the reference to that one-year gap was inserted late in post-production, so the comics creators weren't aware of it.

Old April 1 2014, 06:33 PM   #755
Enterprise1701
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
This chart puts After Darkness in 2259, though.
Which can't be right, because STID ended in 2260. But as we know, the reference to that one-year gap was inserted late in post-production, so the comics creators weren't aware of it.
Well at least #24, even if it did feature the nonsense Gorn, has a stardate set in 2260. And I don't think After Darkness had any stardates in the text.

I still would like to hear from the genius who jumped the stardates to 2261 with The Khitomer Conflict ,though.
Old April 1 2014, 09:14 PM   #756
Markonian
Captain

Well at least #24, even if it did feature the nonsense Gorn, has a stardate set in 2260.
What's nonsense about the Gorn of the extragalactic Gorn Armada, except that they are mysteriously connected to the Gorn of the Gorn Hegemony native to Milkyway?
Old April 3 2014, 09:12 PM   #757
BlueMetroid
Lieutenant

View BlueMetroid's Twitter Profile

I thought the Abramsverse Gorn of the games/comics was handled very well. I even sprang for the numbered statue that was available in the startrek.com shop. It sits proudly in my nerd cave
Old April 4 2014, 03:48 AM   #758
Enterprise1701
Captain

BlueMetroid wrote: View Post
I thought the Abramsverse Gorn of the games/comics was handled very well. I even sprang for the numbered statue that was available in the startrek.com shop. It sits proudly in my nerd cave
You accept all the traits of the "Gorn" like that they came from another galaxy?
Old April 4 2014, 12:52 PM   #759
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BlueMetroid wrote: View Post
You accept all the traits of the "Gorn" like that they came from another galaxy?
Why not? Is there anything in the Gorn backstory that contradicts them coming from another galaxy at some point in their past?
Old April 4 2014, 03:32 PM   #760
The Wormhole
Admiral

I didn't play the game, but based on the comic, it seems Abrams Gorn are meant to be a vicious war-like race, which doesn't really fit with Arena. In Arena, I get the impression the Gorn are reasonable and rational race who were only responding to what they thought was an invasion of their territory. And then on DS9 we learn they eventually gave Cestus III to the Federation anyway, hardly what one would expect from a vicious and war-like race.

Unfortunately, the is an extension of the problem with the Abramsverse, in that it is only about reimagining Star Trek from what is remembered most in pop culture, like Kirk being a bad boy womanizer, Spock losing emotional control, the "KHAN!!!" line and so on. And of course, Captain Kirk fighting the lizard man is very much a thing in pop culture.
Old April 4 2014, 04:04 PM   #761
Christopher
Writer

Well, one could level the same criticism at the earlier Trek movies. They kept the same familiar crews together forever regardless of credibility. Every attempt at a meaningful change was reset to the familiar status quo within two movies. Kirk was more of a hothead and renegade in the movies than he ever was in the series. The TNG movies focused overwhelmingly on the three biggest characters, Picard, Data, and Worf. Most of the Trek movies have been superficial compared to the shows and have played up their most familiar and popular elements at the expense of nuance. It's just the nature of the medium: feature films are aimed at a more general audience, and thus they naturally focus more on what's familiar and expected for the general audience. This was the case long before Paramount started collaborating with Bad Robot.

Old April 4 2014, 04:14 PM   #762
The Wormhole
Admiral

I didn't have an issue with the TOS crew sticking together in the movies until TFF where the senior staff of the Enterprise consists of three captains and four commanders. At least TUC shook things up a bit by promoting Sulu and giving him his own command.

But, yeah, the TNG movies were rather silly, particularly with Nemesis where Worf and Wesley Crusher are back and Starfleet officers with no real explanation given. And aside from Riker no one has moved up in rank at all despite the fact Starfleet's recently been through a war in which it suffered heavy losses.
Old April 4 2014, 05:20 PM   #763
Christopher
Writer

In any case, it was primarily the movies (especially TSFS) that created the stereotype of Kirk as an orders-defying renegade, and the movie audience and the broader public mainly know Trek from the movies, so the more recent movies are following the precedent set by the earlier ones. As for Spock, he was also more emotional in the movies, starting with his "This simple feeling" epiphany in TMP. When he was brought back to life, TVH had him quickly recapitulate the same journey to accepting that emotions matter, accomplishing in mere days what had taken him decades the first time around; and that continued through to TUC, where he taught Valeris that logic was merely the beginning of wisdom. The Abrams movies, again, are following the precedent of the earlier movies, quickly getting Spock to a position where his emotions were closer to the surface than they were on TV. So this is not about Abrams and his collaborators' personal tastes or talent; this is about movies following the precedent of movies, because their audience does not completely overlap with the television fanbase and thus has different expectations and preferences. I think it likely that if someone other than Abrams had been given the job of rebooting TOS, they would still have given us a more hotheaded Kirk and a more emotional Spock, because those are the established feature-film versions of the characters and what the general public wants and expects. At least Abrams and his team have come up with legitimate explanations for why the characters are different -- Kirk had a rougher upbringing and Spock lost his mother and his planet.

Old April 4 2014, 05:35 PM   #764
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I didn't play the game, but based on the comic, it seems Abrams Gorn are meant to be a vicious war-like race, which doesn't really fit with Arena. In Arena, I get the impression the Gorn are reasonable and rational race who were only responding to what they thought was an invasion of their territory.
Considering that in the game if you scan so Gorn tech you get a back story for them where you learn that these Gorn are likely the product of uncounted generations of genetic engineering.

So yeah these Gorn being a vicious war-like race actually is sensible considering that pretty much what augmented humans were like in comparison to unaltered humans.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 05:40 PM   #765
Christopher
Writer

^Maybe some extragalactic race abducted some Gorn, took them home, and engineered them into a more warlike form? Sort of like what the Aegis did with Gary Seven's ancestors, only with more malevolent intent?