RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 501
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 16 2014, 02:23 PM   #706
Markonian
Captain

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

So, do we have two Zahras now, or not?

Married couple sounds fine to me by way of explanation.
Old March 16 2014, 02:45 PM   #707
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Markonian wrote: View Post

Yes, we do have to Zahras. But why must they be related in any way? Just because they happen to have the same family name?

I have been working with a woman who had the same family name as I did, but guess what? No relation at all! She wasn't my wife, my sister, my cousin, we didn't even had any ancestors in common!
Old March 16 2014, 05:13 PM   #708
Pauln6
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
A yeoman is a secretary, clerk, or personal aide. It doesn't make any sense to treat one as a security guard. That's an entirely different specialization.
You have a physicist at the helm, a navigator as chief engineer, and a computer scientist as first officer, but you draw the line at a security guard doing admin?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:17 PM   #709
Pauln6
Commodore

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post

Yes, we do have to Zahras. But why must they be related in any way? Just because they happen to have the same family name?

I have been working with a woman who had the same family name as I did, but guess what? No relation at all! She wasn't my wife, my sister, my cousin, we didn't even had any ancestors in common!
Even if we do have two Zahras doing the same job on the same ship, it doesn't really alter the issue in debate if the writers stop using the Arabic/African/Indian one in favour of the Caucuasian one. It's whitewashing either way and in a comic that's even sillier.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:10 PM   #710
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Even if we do have two Zahras doing the same job on the same ship, it doesn't really alter the issue in debate if the writers stop using the Arabic/African/Indian one in favour of the Caucuasian one. It's whitewashing either way and in a comic that's even sillier.
Who said the have stopped using the Arabic Zahra? Maybe she will be back ... who knows? In this case it's not exactly whitewashing as in "Khan is a Brit now" ... there is no hint whatsoever that dark haired Zahra and blonde Zahra are supposed to be the same person. Blonde Zahra was on the Bridge in STID, but I don't think she's supposed to be the same character as dark Zahra in TOS (who also appeared in the Ongoing comics).

As I've said before, it could be that the comic writers assigned the name "Zahra" to the blonde character by mistake ... but that doesn't make it whitewashing. She is clearly a completely different person! It's not as if they have explicitily stated that this is supposed to be one and the same character!
Old March 16 2014, 06:42 PM   #711
Christopher
Writer

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
You have a physicist at the helm, a navigator as chief engineer, and a computer scientist as first officer, but you draw the line at a security guard doing admin?
I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a yeoman portrayed as what a yeoman actually is, rather than making it a meaningless title for a character who's doing something entirely different.

Besides, none of your examples is equivalent to this. Sulu changed jobs from physicist to helmsman. Chekov changed jobs from navigator to engineer. And Spock is consistently addressed as both first officer and science officer. If you're not going to portray a character as an administrative aide at all, if you're just going to present her as another security guard, then just bloomin' call her a security guard, not a yeoman.

As I've said before, it could be that the comic writers assigned the name "Zahra" to the blonde character by mistake ... but that doesn't make it whitewashing. She is clearly a completely different person! It's not as if they have explicitily stated that this is supposed to be one and the same character!
Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person, and that's a bad thing for reasons far more significant than whatever superficial in-story rationalizations you might make. Here -- I'll let Felicia Day explain it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:16 PM   #712
British Khan
Ensign

I found this. Seems they can't decide on Zahra's ethnicity.
British Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:25 PM   #713
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person
No one is replacing anyone with anyone ... they are two different people!

Last edited by Oso Blanco; March 16 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:46 PM   #714
Christopher
Writer

Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person
No one is replacing anyone with anyone ... they are two different people!
Err, yes, if one person goes away and a different person takes their place, that is a replacement by definition. So that sentence makes no sense. It's also splitting hairs to avoid confronting the real issue.

Old March 16 2014, 09:05 PM   #715
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

British Khan wrote: View Post

I found this. Seems they can't decide on Zahra's ethnicity.
No one listens to poor Zahras.
Old March 16 2014, 09:11 PM   #716
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Err, yes, if one person goes away and a different person takes their place, that is a replacement by definition. So that sentence makes no sense. It's also splitting hairs to avoid confronting the real issue.
Yeah, it's like John Smith goes away is being replaced by Joe Smith ... big deal!
Old March 16 2014, 09:28 PM   #717
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, it's like John Smith goes away is being replaced by Joe Smith ... big deal!
If John Smith is dark-skinned and Joe Smith is a pale blond, then hell, yes, it is a big deal, or should be. Read the Felicia Day post I linked above -- she explains it beautifully.

Old March 16 2014, 09:56 PM   #718
Oso Blanco
Commodore

If John Smith is dark-skinned and Joe Smith is a pale blond, then hell, yes, it is a big deal, or should be. Read the Felicia Day post I linked above -- she explains it beautifully.
So just because John is dark skinned, Joe must also be dark skinned? What kind of logic is that?

I really don't know why you are making this a racial issue. Khan being a Brit all of a sudden, that's strange ... or what about Kirk having blue eyes? Strange because they are supposed to be the same characters. But the two Zahras are two completely different people!
Old March 16 2014, 09:58 PM   #719
Christopher
Writer

Read. The Damn. Article.

Old March 16 2014, 10:08 PM   #720
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Read. The Damn. Article.
I did. So what? Seems that some people can only think about race and colour. I don't!