RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,231
Posts: 5,438,418
Members: 24,957
Currently online: 625
Newest member: zanejc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16 2014, 02:23 PM   #706
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

So, do we have two Zahras now, or not?

Married couple sounds fine to me by way of explanation.
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 02:45 PM   #707
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Markonian wrote: View Post
So, do we have two Zahras now, or not?

Married couple sounds fine to me by way of explanation.
Yes, we do have to Zahras. But why must they be related in any way? Just because they happen to have the same family name?

I have been working with a woman who had the same family name as I did, but guess what? No relation at all! She wasn't my wife, my sister, my cousin, we didn't even had any ancestors in common!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:13 PM   #708
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
A yeoman is a secretary, clerk, or personal aide. It doesn't make any sense to treat one as a security guard. That's an entirely different specialization.
You have a physicist at the helm, a navigator as chief engineer, and a computer scientist as first officer, but you draw the line at a security guard doing admin?
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:17 PM   #709
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
So, do we have two Zahras now, or not?

Married couple sounds fine to me by way of explanation.
Yes, we do have to Zahras. But why must they be related in any way? Just because they happen to have the same family name?

I have been working with a woman who had the same family name as I did, but guess what? No relation at all! She wasn't my wife, my sister, my cousin, we didn't even had any ancestors in common!
Even if we do have two Zahras doing the same job on the same ship, it doesn't really alter the issue in debate if the writers stop using the Arabic/African/Indian one in favour of the Caucuasian one. It's whitewashing either way and in a comic that's even sillier.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:10 PM   #710
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Even if we do have two Zahras doing the same job on the same ship, it doesn't really alter the issue in debate if the writers stop using the Arabic/African/Indian one in favour of the Caucuasian one. It's whitewashing either way and in a comic that's even sillier.
Who said the have stopped using the Arabic Zahra? Maybe she will be back ... who knows? In this case it's not exactly whitewashing as in "Khan is a Brit now" ... there is no hint whatsoever that dark haired Zahra and blonde Zahra are supposed to be the same person. Blonde Zahra was on the Bridge in STID, but I don't think she's supposed to be the same character as dark Zahra in TOS (who also appeared in the Ongoing comics).

As I've said before, it could be that the comic writers assigned the name "Zahra" to the blonde character by mistake ... but that doesn't make it whitewashing. She is clearly a completely different person! It's not as if they have explicitily stated that this is supposed to be one and the same character!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:42 PM   #711
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
You have a physicist at the helm, a navigator as chief engineer, and a computer scientist as first officer, but you draw the line at a security guard doing admin?
I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a yeoman portrayed as what a yeoman actually is, rather than making it a meaningless title for a character who's doing something entirely different.

Besides, none of your examples is equivalent to this. Sulu changed jobs from physicist to helmsman. Chekov changed jobs from navigator to engineer. And Spock is consistently addressed as both first officer and science officer. If you're not going to portray a character as an administrative aide at all, if you're just going to present her as another security guard, then just bloomin' call her a security guard, not a yeoman.



Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
As I've said before, it could be that the comic writers assigned the name "Zahra" to the blonde character by mistake ... but that doesn't make it whitewashing. She is clearly a completely different person! It's not as if they have explicitily stated that this is supposed to be one and the same character!
Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person, and that's a bad thing for reasons far more significant than whatever superficial in-story rationalizations you might make. Here -- I'll let Felicia Day explain it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:16 PM   #712
British Khan
Ensign
 
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...



I found this. Seems they can't decide on Zahra's ethnicity.
British Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:25 PM   #713
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person
No one is replacing anyone with anyone ... they are two different people!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn

Last edited by Oso Blanco; March 16 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 08:46 PM   #714
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Yes, it is whitewashing. No matter what excuses you make for it, it's still replacing a person of color with a white person
No one is replacing anyone with anyone ... they are two different people!
Err, yes, if one person goes away and a different person takes their place, that is a replacement by definition. So that sentence makes no sense. It's also splitting hairs to avoid confronting the real issue.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:05 PM   #715
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

British Khan wrote: View Post


I found this. Seems they can't decide on Zahra's ethnicity.
No one listens to poor Zahras.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:11 PM   #716
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Err, yes, if one person goes away and a different person takes their place, that is a replacement by definition. So that sentence makes no sense. It's also splitting hairs to avoid confronting the real issue.
Yeah, it's like John Smith goes away is being replaced by Joe Smith ... big deal!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:28 PM   #717
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's like John Smith goes away is being replaced by Joe Smith ... big deal!
If John Smith is dark-skinned and Joe Smith is a pale blond, then hell, yes, it is a big deal, or should be. Read the Felicia Day post I linked above -- she explains it beautifully.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:56 PM   #718
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
If John Smith is dark-skinned and Joe Smith is a pale blond, then hell, yes, it is a big deal, or should be. Read the Felicia Day post I linked above -- she explains it beautifully.
So just because John is dark skinned, Joe must also be dark skinned? What kind of logic is that?

I really don't know why you are making this a racial issue. Khan being a Brit all of a sudden, that's strange ... or what about Kirk having blue eyes? Strange because they are supposed to be the same characters. But the two Zahras are two completely different people!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 09:58 PM   #719
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Read. The Damn. Article.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:08 PM   #720
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Read. The Damn. Article.
I did. So what? Seems that some people can only think about race and colour. I don't!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
#31, 0718, comics, gatt, idw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.