Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 24 2013, 05:17 PM   #526
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Noddy wrote: View Post
Can someone explain how Kor apparently has forehead ridges at this time? Shouldn't his forehead be smooth?
The Klingons could've discovered a cure for the Augment virus decades earlier in this timeline.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 05:40 PM   #527
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Can someone explain how Kor apparently has forehead ridges at this time? Shouldn't his forehead be smooth?
The Klingons could've discovered a cure for the Augment virus decades earlier in this timeline.
Especially if the Narada's computer happened to have the original cure in its records.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 09:46 PM   #528
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

They did have nero' ship for 20 years so they could've found a cure as well as other things. Just look at the new bird of prey

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 10:07 PM   #529
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Especially if the Narada's computer happened to have the original cure in its records.
Of course that leads to the question: why would a Romulan mining vessel have Klingon medical data stored in their computers?
Old October 26 2013, 12:48 AM   #530
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Or perhaps the Augment Virus was un-needed fanwank to begin with and has (intelligently) been ignored?
Old October 26 2013, 12:57 AM   #531
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

How about this: The Klingons just scanned the Narada's records and, while not actually finding a cure, found out that a cure would one day BE found, so it inspired them to step up their research and thus they found the cure on their own.
Old October 26 2013, 03:15 AM   #532
The Wormhole
Admiral

Seriously, did nothing happen in the Abramsverse without it being connected to Nero or Narada?
Old October 26 2013, 03:25 AM   #533
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Not surprising, since without them, there wouldn't BE an Abramsverse. So logically speaking, any differences can really be attributed to one or the other.
Old October 26 2013, 03:37 AM   #534
Christopher
Writer

^Right. It's not that everything connects to Nero, but his arrival was the cause of the timeline divergence, so it's logical that it would've been the cause of any major differences. Although that cause doesn't have to be direct and obvious in every case; it could be more of a domino-effect thing, or a butterfly-effect thing.

Old October 26 2013, 04:26 AM   #535
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Of course that leads to the question: why would a Romulan mining vessel have Klingon medical data stored in their computers?
Who knows what Nero had in records information seeing as he also had enough Federation Starfleet records to know he blew up Kirk's dad at the start of the film.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:53 PM   #536
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

With infinite storage space they just cram anything and everything in. Ditto Voyager having Excelsior's STVI logs in "Flashback"
Old October 26 2013, 04:59 PM   #537
Christopher
Writer

Again, it doesn't have to be so direct. Nothing in science or medicine exists totally in isolation. The discoveries that provided the cure to the Klingon Augment virus probably had other medical applications as well, becoming a standard part of the broader body of 24th-century medical knowledge. The Narada's database could've contained information on those medical principles and procedures in the context of treating genetic illness or retroviral mutation in general, and Klingon doctors could've recognized that the principles could also provide a cure for the Augment virus,thereby reverse-engineering it themselves.

Old October 26 2013, 05:17 PM   #538
BillJ
Admiral

Again, it doesn't have to be so direct. Nothing in science or medicine exists totally in isolation. The discoveries that provided the cure to the Klingon Augment virus probably had other medical applications as well, becoming a standard part of the broader body of 24th-century medical knowledge. The Narada's database could've contained information on those medical principles and procedures in the context of treating genetic illness or retroviral mutation in general, and Klingon doctors could've recognized that the principles could also provide a cure for the Augment virus,thereby reverse-engineering it themselves.
Isn't it still problematic that seemingly no one (according to the movie and comics) actually had access to the Narada's databases?
Old October 26 2013, 05:35 PM   #539
Christopher
Writer

Isn't it still problematic that seemingly no one (according to the movie and comics) actually had access to the Narada's databases?
Is that stated? I don't recall it from the movie, and the comics aren't canonical. The Klingons had the Narada in their custody for 25 years; it's hard to believe they didn't get at least something from the ship's computers.

Old October 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #540
BillJ
Admiral

Is that stated? I don't recall it from the movie, and the comics aren't canonical. The Klingons had the Narada in their custody for 25 years; it's hard to believe they didn't get at least something from the ship's computers.
From everything I remember (I'm getting old) the Klingons were unable to do anything with the Narada. Plus, if I recall correctly, Kor already had ridges when he appeared in the Countdown (may have been the Nero mini-series) comic when they first capture the Narada.

EDIT: Kor was in the first issue of Nero with ridges.