IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 17 2013, 01:25 PM   #451
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
23rd century Romulan ships all look like the Narada??

*takes a deep breath*

*and a valium*
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:36 PM   #452
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:48 PM   #453
Christopher
Writer

Didn't the "Vulcan's Vengeance" storyline in issues 7-8 show the Romulans getting hold of the Narada's specs?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 03:28 PM   #454
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Ah, if they did that in an earlier issue it's suddenly much less of a problem. I had this vision of all 23rd century Romulans being rewritten as bald, tattooed and flying black squid ships just because Nero did.
Old August 17 2013, 03:45 PM   #455
Christopher
Writer

^No, "Vulcan's Vengeance" showed the 23rd-century Romulans with hair and no tattoos, and I believe we saw some BoP-style Romulan ships in it.

Old August 18 2013, 04:10 AM   #456
JD
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
So do the Gorn issue and the Romulan/Klingon War issues have titles?
The Gorn issue doesn't seem to have a title anywhere in the issue...
Maybe whoever wrote the title had Gorn Orff before they had a chance to use it.
Or maybe they did have would but it just would Klingon.
Old August 18 2013, 10:41 AM   #457
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Well the gorn issue was incredibly lightweight with almost no plot at all. I think single issue stories only work well as character pieces and not always then. What was interesting was the amount of canon and backstory that was referenced, including, I assume, the plot of the game. I'd buy a comic version of the game plot actually.

I did like that they put some effort into the landing party so we had to male and two female secuirty guards - success! - and it was nice to see that the third tier regulars such as Zahra and the orion dude Kai making an appearance.

It felt very much like a filler issue to make up the numbers for the trade paperback but plot elements will be carried forward so lets see where it leads...

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:29 AM   #458
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
I pretty much am in agreement with what you've said. I would have liked to have seen a comic book adaptation of the game as well, or a novelization.

I had been looking forward to this issue, but the story came off as nothing special and bit predictable. I was hoping to learn more about the new take on the Gorn, and while we get a rehash of the new Gorn origins and a little bit more, I didn't think it was enough. I was also hoping they would reconcile the new Gorn origin with a more traditional take on the Gorn, and I think there was a sliver of opportunity there but they didn't go that route.

I also thought Kirk sidelining Spock was odd, though it was nice that they referenced Into Darkness and the comics After Darkness as for Kirk's reasons why.

I also liked the security team and hope we see more minor characters get face time and development. I think they need a regular security officer. Even if it's just for the comics.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 04:00 PM   #459
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry if I'm dragging the discussion back to the previous arc again, I've always struggled to wrap my head around the concept of Pon Farr and I thought the Ongoing take on it was quite interesting.

Spoilers ahead for those who haven't read the After Darkness arc.

My question is, why did tricking the Vulcans' bodies into thinking they were on Vulcan cure their Pon Farr effects? In Amok Time, Spock did not get cured of his blood fever simply by beaming onto Vulcan. If someone could clarify this, I'd really appreciate it.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:33 AM   #460
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

^ Because... magic!

It's just one of those strange affects that Nero's temporal incursion had, just like he somehow gave Vulcans in plak tow evil red glowy eyes!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 12:06 PM   #461
Noddy
Captain

Isn't it something to do with Vulcan having blown up accelerating their Pon Farr cycles so they come much earlier than they should? Apart from that, I really don't know what to say about this.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:58 PM   #462
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Noddy wrote: View Post
Isn't it something to do with Vulcan having blown up accelerating their Pon Farr cycles so they come much earlier than they should? Apart from that, I really don't know what to say about this.
Hmm I don't recall them saying anything about that, but I could re-read it again. I know that it was mentioned that some Vulcans got so overcome by grief after the destruction of Vulcan that they descended into a Plak Tow kind of madness, but curing them shouldn't be the same as curing Spock, who was actually undergoing Pon Farr.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:51 PM   #463
Noddy
Captain

Ohhh dear. Sounds like we've got problems.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:16 PM   #464
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Violent outbursts can ameliorate the effects of Pon Farr - the problem on New Vulcan was that this didn't seem to help. I think the assumption was that something in the Vulcan atmosphere helped this process (most likely bacteria but they also took into account exact composition, gravity, magnetism etc). Not sure why they had women there though - while I'm a fan of being more inclusive, I always thought Pon Farr was a male thing.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:29 PM   #465
Christopher
Writer

^Enterprise confirmed that Vulcan females experience pon farr as well. T'Pol underwent premature pon farr in "Bounty," and Mirror Trip "helped" Mirror T'Pol through her pon farr.