The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 14 2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Emissary of the Prophets
Fleet Captain

View Emissary of the Prophets's Twitter Profile
Enterprise-C in Lit

I thoroughly enjoyed Well of Souls from the Lost Era series. I am still very disappointed that the Enterprise-C has not been giving more page space.
Am I the only one that would like to see a follow up/prequel novel? I would love Ilsa J. Bick be the author that follows it up.
Old May 14 2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

Re: Enterprise-C in Lit

Emissary of the Prophets wrote: View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Well of Souls from the Lost Era series. I am still very disappointed that the Enterprise-C has not been giving more page space.
Am I the only one that would like to see a follow up/prequel novel? I would love Ilsa J. Bick be the author that follows it up.

Well of Souls is the only Lost Era novel I haven't read yet, although I intend to do it. Enterprise C reappears in Vulcan's Heart by Sherman/Shwartz, although in a small capacity. What happened to Captain Garrett can be seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise". Reading about Garrett in Vulcan's Heart made me curious about E-C, so I will get Wells of Soul some time in the next several months. Maybe, if you are lucky, there is another Lost Era novel featuring E-C one day.

Last edited by Kilana2; May 14 2015 at 10:43 PM.
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2015, 10:15 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ If you're expecting Well of Souls to be ANYTHING like Vulcan's Heart...you are in for a disappointment, I think.

Vulcan's Heart is my favorite Trek novel I have ever read. However, I could barely even FINISH Well of Souls, I found it so impenetrable and confusing.

Let's put it this way: If I didn't know any better I would have suspected that Well of Souls had been written by Myrshak and Culbreath, I hate it that much.
Old May 14 2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

That, and Harriman and his merry crew aboard the E-B. Trek Lit largely redeemed his character IMO, albeit mostly through resolving his paternal issues... I'd like to see more straight up adventures with the in-between Enterprises.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

I heard different opinions (I almost misspelled it as "onions") about WOS. I´m well aware that it is different from Vulcan's heart. Heck, there are people who like Diane Carey's Red Sector!!!!!
I will acquire WOS. If only to complete my collection.
Old May 14 2015, 10:23 PM   #6
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Let's put it this way: If I didn't know any better I would have suspected that Well of Souls had been written by Myrshak and Culbreath, I hate it that much.
Dammit, man, that's just MEAN.
Old May 14 2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed Well of Souls from the Lost Era series.
Good, good. Always glad to see other fans who like it. It's one of my favourites, and probably the most controversial on my favourites list (that is, most of the other entries are held in high esteem by a majority, whereas Well of Souls has precarious status among readers in general).

I am still very disappointed that the Enterprise-C has not been giving more page space. Am I the only one that would like to see a follow up/prequel novel? I would love Ilsa J. Bick be the author that follows it up.
I'd love a follow-up, yes, though much as I loved Bick's approach I think I'd prefer someone else handle the characters from here on. After all, they're all (the crew, I mean) in a better place by the end of the novel, and it should stay that way; as great as Bick's emotionally draining and highly provocative approach to character is, I think it would be too much to have another book of psychological turbulence. I suspect, based on her other Trek work, that she'd write it as "heavy" as the first, and I might not enjoy it so much the second time. But having her characters picked up by someone else; that I'd love to see.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
However, I could barely even FINISH Well of Souls, I found it so impenetrable and confusing.

You make baby Bokai cry, Mr Laser Beam.

I'm lazy and tired tonight, so I'll mostly repurpose my words from the last time it came up, even though I'm without tequila this time:

"It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I can understand why many might find it a slog to get through. But I enjoyed the characters and the stark humanity of it. It's a bit over the top in its tone, perhaps, but there's a point to it, a genuine catharsis of sorts that I appreciate. There's an emotional intensity and a raw familiarity to the writing and the characters that would become draining if it was standard for Trek novels, but made - and still makes, in my experience - for a very engrossing read. It made me care for Garrett and her crew, and I know there are readers who had an opposite response, but it worked for me".

I also like to add that since A Stitch in Time is an absolute favourite of mine, the connections made to it in Well of Souls delight me; there's a pivotal scene with Tain that takes on so much greater meaning when you read Well of Souls. This book manages to add brilliance to A Stitch in Time, and besides thereby bettering further one of my favourite pieces of fiction, it's also a perfect example of why having interconnected stories in continuity with one another is such a draw.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; May 14 2015 at 10:55 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2015, 12:27 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

Kilana2 wrote: View Post

Well of Souls is the only Lost Era novel I haven't read yet, although I intend to do it. Enterprise C reappears in Vulcan's Heart by Sherman/Shwartz, although in a small capacity. What happened to Captain Garrett can be seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise". Reading about Garrett in Vulcan's Heart made me curious about E-C, so I will get Wells of Soul some time in the next several months. Maybe, if you are lucky, there is another Lost Era novel featuring E-C one day.
Sorry to be nitpicky here, but technically the E-C crew reappeared in Well of Souls, since that was written 4 years after Vulcan's Heart.
Old May 15 2015, 12:38 AM   #9
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post

Sorry to be nitpicky here, but technically the E-C crew reappeared in Well of Souls, since that was written 4 years after Vulcan's Heart.
No need to be sorry. And it is me who misspells Well of Souls constantly as Wells of Soul.
But: regardless of the chronology of the appearance, was it really the same crew? According to Nasat not, as not everyone from Well of Soul got lost at Narendra III.
Old May 15 2015, 12:40 AM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I'm not aware of any characters from Well of Souls (apart from Captain Garrett, of course) who also appeared in Vulcan's Heart.

I can't remember if Richard Castillo appeared in "Well" but I'm trying to repress all my memories of that novel anyway.
Old May 15 2015, 12:45 AM   #11
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I loved Well of Souls. I thought it was as much a highlight of Lost Era as Serpents Among The Ruins and The Art Of The Impossible.
Old May 15 2015, 01:00 AM   #12
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I would definitely like at least another Enterprise-C novel at some point. I'm just really disappointed that there's so little about this ship and her crew.

I actually overall enjoyed Well of Souls, though I did find the first third or so dragged somewhat, being heavily focused on characters who were introduced in the novel. Which isn't exactly surprising, considering that we only have two canonically known Enterprise-C crew, Captain Garrett and Castillo, but I think I was expecting more immediate connection to at least Captain Garrett. Once the novel rejoins the ship, I find it picks up, though.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2015, 01:03 AM   #13
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

But: regardless of the chronology of the appearance, was it really the same crew? According to Nasat not, as not everyone from Well of Soul got lost at Narendra III.
Other than Castillo (obviously) it's a different crew. This isn't a problem at all, of course, since there are eight years between the stories, so having the Well of Souls characters move on is natural. Indeed, one of them, Dr. Jo Stern, shows up alive and well in Bick's SCE entry set in 2377 (and she made Admiral, as a matter of fact).
Old May 15 2015, 02:57 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

I was kind of hoping that last year when we got a new Lost Era novel set aboard the Enterprise B that it would lead to the Lost Era continuing as an ongoing series. Nothing major or formal or anything, just a novel or two a year set during the era telling a story about the Enterprise B or C or even the Stargazer or whatever. Yeah, I know the annual lit schedule is already loaded enough what with post-finale adventures for DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, TNG, the Typhon Pact, the Seekers, and so on. Just something I'd like to see in a perfect world.
Old May 15 2015, 03:41 AM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

The E-C story in Enterprise Logs (set at the very beginning of its mission) also has a completely different senior staff. Poor Garret and Castillo were the only people to stick with the ship all the way through, I guess!